Gransnet forums

Chat

One happy granny

(60 Posts)
Menopaws Sun 12-Mar-17 03:45:45

It is 3am and jet lag has hit. We returned from oz yesterday after going there for daughters wedding and it has been the best month ever. I am not gloating but just proud of my family for helping me personally realise how wonderful family can be.
This was the first time the five of us had been together for years as daughter in oz, one son with own family and another travelling son meant we haven't been together for ages. Of course that's how it should be, they are aged 26 to 29 but with different lives and all very used to not being with us, they all made such a tremendous effort, all coming together on diff flights to join our beautiful daughter for her oz riverside wedding in the sun. Thrown together in her little first house, then to beach setting for a week, then on to small island house on another beach for a week.
We are a close family and they get on well but thrown together in tight spaces can be tricky and I have to constantly remember not to mother them but boy was I proud of them, laughing and joking, chatting and catching up. I was able to fund their trips as I didn't want their lack of money to stop this reunion and they didn't take this lightly but I said that they had paid me back a hundred times by being three decent honest thoughtful and caring people with active and interesting lives .
Ok I am gushing but please let me as I really can't see us all together again. Of course this is normal and we are all in this position but for many reasons it could have been a disaster as the cancer hospital weren't keen my husband travelled due to break in treatment and he came out separate to me to that was weird and my son nearly couldn't leave his disabled baby as he has a serious episode the week before.
Anyway we all made it and in my mind it doesn't matter if this doesn't happen again as the other son emigrates to Canada ne

Menopaws Sun 12-Mar-17 03:49:25

Sod it wrong button!!
Emigrates to Canada next month and my husbands treatment continues I feel happy to let them go and be grown ups and nothing will take away the memory of that hols as long as I live.
Thanks kids you have done us proud xxx

Menopaws Sun 12-Mar-17 03:56:53

Now I'm going to get up and clean kitchen as had builders in over hols and everywhere filthy and still on oz time!!!

grannypiper Sun 12-Mar-17 07:08:33

Menopaws sounds like a wonderful wonderful time. I am sure your children will treasure those weeks as much as you. What we would all give to have all of our adult children under the same roof.My dearest Grandmother (in law) had 5 children all born 5 years apart never once had all of her children in one room, sadly that didnt happen until her funeral.

Alima Sun 12-Mar-17 07:17:40

Sounds like you had an amazing time with all of your family. Hope the cleaning goes well and when you finally collapse into bed you manage to get the really good sleep you deserve.

cornergran Sun 12-Mar-17 07:18:47

So pleased for you all, menopaws, wonderful memories to bring home. Wishing your husband well with his treatment.

ninathenana Sun 12-Mar-17 07:59:28

What a heart warming post reading that is a great way to start my day.
So pleased your husband could make it and that you all had a great time. Congratulations to your daughter.

Teetime Sun 12-Mar-17 08:03:02

Lovely to read such happy post. Congratulations menopaws it sounds as though it was a truly wonderful time.

Greyduster Sun 12-Mar-17 08:10:37

Thank you for sharing your happiness with us, menopaws. What a great time you had, and nice to know your DH could travel to be there too! I wish you both well.

Badenkate Sun 12-Mar-17 08:37:17

Glad you had such a wonderful time menopaws, and that everyone managed to get together at the same time. Those of us with happy caring families are very blest and should appreciate what we have. I'm sure you're going to have lots of happy memories and photos to look back on.

seasider Sun 12-Mar-17 08:44:09

What a lovely post and what memories to treasure. I love having all my lot together but it's a bit easier as all in UK.

PRINTMISS Sun 12-Mar-17 08:48:36

Just the right sort of post for a dull Sunday morning, thank you, you can live on those memories for such a long time. Well done to you and all your family.

Mildred Sun 12-Mar-17 08:56:10

Lovely post, glad you had such a good time and have all those lovely memories?

Ankers Sun 12-Mar-17 09:01:58

Wow! Wonderful posts for a wonderful occasion. I can empathise or sympathise or whatever with quite a lot of what you wrote.

I was thinking to start a thread sometime about things like this.
I am thinking along the lines of, in the future, living near an international airport, to make it a little bit easier for us all to meet up. Not sure if that would work or not.

I smiled at your bit about remembering not to mother them! smile

LumpySpacedPrincess Sun 12-Mar-17 09:03:25

What a wonderful post, gush away op, gush away!

Rosina Sun 12-Mar-17 09:19:43

How lovely to read this on a grey morning when there are quite a few major concerns looming - thank you for sharing that happy, heart lifting post. So glad you had a time with the family that you can carry with you forever.

tiredoldwoman Sun 12-Mar-17 09:31:05

Yes, a beautiful eye watering post !
I'm going to use one line of it and write it on my daft Mum board in the kitchen .I loved " being three decent , honest ...."- it's quite a simple recipe isn't it ? But quite a hard one to get perfect - you did .

hulahoop Sun 12-Mar-17 09:39:16

What a great post you are allowed to gush sounds like you had a fantastic time the memory will last you and your family forever best wishes .

ClaraB Sun 12-Mar-17 09:40:01

Lovely to hear you had such a great family reunion. So many posts seem to be about family problems so this was a joy to read. Good luck with your DH's treatment.

Disgruntled Sun 12-Mar-17 10:03:52

Well done! congratulations and thanks for sharing that with us. I looked for a picture of a bottle of champagne but couldn't find one, though it doesn't sound as though you need any! It's bubbling out of you! ?????

Menopaws Sun 12-Mar-17 10:33:26

What dear people you are, I never like to blow own trumpet but think these happy posts are just as important as the difficult ones, we all have crisis times but these good times give us the strength to ride the hard times.
May I suggest you all read DESIDERATA sometime today, look up online. I live by that and I have a copy in the loo and have framed a copy for each child, nephew and niece. Don't worry I'm not airy fairy just realistic, I also rewrote an updated version if anyone interested to see it to tap in to the way youngsters think!
Cleaning like a good'un, kitchen beautiful and bathroom and refitting out two bedrooms that were gutted while away, v satisfying. Thanks again ladies, feel very supported and understood xx

Alima Sun 12-Mar-17 10:35:37

Blimey, haven't you been to bed yet? Respect.

JanT2004 Sun 12-Mar-17 10:45:36

This made me smile, and realise I am very lucky. Thanks Menopaws. I think you are due a break ?

vickymeldrew Sun 12-Mar-17 10:48:07

Wow Menopaws, you are one special lady. So many things in your post that you could have been posting about in a negative way. Really hope all the medical stuff improves and your son emigrating to Canada works out well. God bless xx

Anya Sun 12-Mar-17 11:04:00

Menopaws smile