Gransnet forums

Chat

FaceTime /Skype

(63 Posts)
MawBroon Mon 13-Mar-17 10:09:21

I know many of you enjoy it and I have just had a lovely 10 minutes with DD and DGS aged 10 months. Lovely to see his happy smiling face but OMG the close up of the wrinkly, puffy eyed, jowly old bag in the corner of the screen. Who or what was that? If nothing else that neck needs ironing.
Seriously, what is effectively a selfie at close quarters , eyes screwed up, several chins because you are looking down at the iPad. Who on earth invented that? And how do you cope?
Burka? Niqab? Vaseline on the camera lens?
I can't afford to have "work done" and in any case it would be so extensive as to involve listed building planning permission.
#feelingallofmy69years

aggie Tue 14-Mar-17 18:50:30

I am not even still tall .......

KatyK Tue 14-Mar-17 19:08:55

aggie grin Most other things have gone, but I haven't started shrinking yet!

baubles Tue 14-Mar-17 19:26:35

Skype is bad enough but at least the little ones can't grab you, run their perfect little fingers over the back of your hand and call to their friends to look at Grandma's wavy skin as my DGD did at her 7th birthday party on Saturday. hmm

lesley4357 Tue 14-Mar-17 19:34:47

I was considering going back to contact lenses after many years, but have realised just how many crows feet my glasses are hiding !

lesley4357 Tue 14-Mar-17 19:40:49

Every selfie I take makes me look like my carer is waiting for me back at the home - or alternatively that I've just had a stroke!

KatyK Tue 14-Mar-17 20:42:06

That's why I never taken a selfie!

willa45 Tue 14-Mar-17 23:57:54

Eye bags, double chin, pot belly, brown spots and gray hair have become the bane of my existence. Well meaning folks tell me the advantage of getting old is that I no longer have to care what others think. Ha! If I live to be a hundred, vanity will have to be torn from my cold, dead fingers before I give it up. So, for Facetime or Skype appearances in 'real time', hair and makeup have to be just right and face must remain lower than the camera lens at all times, never above. If someone wants to surprise you with Skype or Facetime and you're not 'visible', pretend your dead and don't answer!! Selfies, photos, etc. is another story. If one picture is worth a thousand words, a clever 'PhotoShop' can be worth more than a best selling novel!

joannewton46 Wed 15-Mar-17 02:25:13

Hold the ipad up in front of you so you're looking straight at it rather than downwards, that will prevent much of the saggy look.
Otherwise don't worry about it. Look at some of the photos of celebrities who've had cosmetic surgery - and look far worse than they did before (see Donatella Versace for one) - you look better than that!
Children LIKE granny's face, a friend's grandchildren talk about her "happy-life lines", if you're smiling at them, they really won't care that you no longer look as you did 30 years ago - after all, who does?

TyneAngel Wed 15-Mar-17 12:22:56

My favourite cartoon has 4 boxes.Elderly lady sitting at home: caption 1 - 'This is my house'. caption 2 - 'These are my things'. caption 3 -'This is my cat'. caption 4 (looking in mirror) 'So who the hell is that ???' At moments like that, all you can say is 'Well,not dead yet...'

Neversaydie Wed 15-Mar-17 13:25:57

I used to be quite pretty (I'm told)and still not overly wrinkled but have never been photgenic so candid pics don't upset me too much !I look a loss less wrinkled when not smiling but then I look a bit grim. I don't Skype but don't have distant GCs either !

JanT8 Thu 16-Mar-17 08:39:33

Enjoy being 69! I turned 70 this year and, when you actually say it, 70 sounds so much older than 69! So I think I'll stick at 69 .smile

JanT8 Thu 16-Mar-17 08:40:31

Whoops! Meant to add a smiley!