Gransnet forums

Chat

Help. Mouse ok. Rat NO!

(69 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Mon 13-Mar-17 10:53:10

Yesterday morning whilst sitting in conservatory watching birds happily feeding in our garden, DH spotted something scurrying behind planters on our patio.
On the third occasion I also saw it, but my eyesight is not very good & couldn't see what it was.
DH thought a mouse,
he said it was more rounded than long (in the body)
but as I was able to see it from about 12ft away I am worried that it could have been a rat.
We have provided a good food
buffet source due to feeding birds which are exceedingly messy with their food of peanuts, different seeds and meal worms (we have also provided meal worms for our over wintering hedgehog)
We have 2 elderly cats but they are not hunters even the birds ignore them.
However having cats means that no other cats visit our garden
So it is a safe haven for the critters.

Advice please.
I don't want to harm a mouse but what if it is a rat ?
It was on the patio very close the back door.
It has probably got young
And most importantly we have toddlers that play in our garden

Poison down is a big No No
All I can think of is we will have to put traps down.

If it is mouse it is probably a field mouse as we have fields nearby

rosesarered Mon 13-Mar-17 10:58:14

We have mice zipping about in the garden Cherry and sometimes in the shed and loft! Last Winter we also had an enormous brown rat which often sat under the bird feeders, quite boldly staring at us in the conservatory.grin It vanished after a while,and hasn't been back since so must have been got by a cat or dog.
Unless you see several I wouldn't worry about it.

Luckygirl Mon 13-Mar-17 10:58:26

Just take in the bird food - when we had rats we were told by the council exterminator that we should never put out bird food as it attracts the rats.

We had a rat in the house at one point - they are huge! It electrocuted itself by trying to chew through an electric wire.

MrsJamJam Mon 13-Mar-17 10:59:07

Stop feeding the birds and it will go away. Unfortunately there is no way to stop the birds chucking a lot of food about and at this time of year there are hungry rats about only too keen to take advantage. If there is no food source in your garden it will move elsewhere.

rosesarered Mon 13-Mar-17 11:02:21

Yes, sadly the bird seed attracts mice and rats, however we have so much pleasure from seeing the birds feeding, like a little aviary at times, that we think that outweighs the risk of rats.Although if you get more than one rat you may want to stop.We only feed the birds through Winter and early Spring, and then stop it, apart from the bird baths.

Jayanna9040 Mon 13-Mar-17 11:22:34

If you can find some droppings you will know. Mouse droppings are v small and usually come together like a little pile of chocolate vermicelli. Rat drippings are larger and cylindrical - turds as my MIL used to say. They tend to be spaced apart like a trail.

Greyduster Mon 13-Mar-17 11:27:53

We used to get wood mice in our last garden. Pretty little things with their white front and big ears. We also once had a rat that got into the house. We couldn't make out how, but think it could have been through a rainwater drain that ran through the garage floor. They were doing work on the main drains in the road at the time and it must have been a fugitive. I was mortified! We could hear it running about the cavities and in the end, having failed to catch it in a humane trap, we called in a pest controller who put poison down under the floor. It took a while and eventually there was a disgusting smell of decomposing rodent and DH had to go into the space under the kitchen floor and find and remove the corpse.

Cherrytree59 Mon 13-Mar-17 12:18:13

Thank you all will look out for the droppings
And I think we will also have to stop bird feedingsad
If I could be sure it was mouse (mice) I wouldn't worry.
Is there such a thing of just one rat especially as its spring ?

I'm much calmer now
you are all so matter of fact grin

J52 Mon 13-Mar-17 13:08:56

Grow plants that have berries and seeds that the birds like instead.smile

Luckygirl Mon 13-Mar-17 14:05:37

We had a bird get into the cavity walls - goodness knows how! We could hear it scrabbling about for days, but there was nothing we could do short of knocking some internal walls down. It really stank after it died!

KatyK Mon 13-Mar-17 14:16:58

We get the occasional rat. I am assuming they are water rats as we have a canal at the bottom of our garden. We've only seen the occasional one and we've lived here 35 years. We only had a problem with them when my elderly neighbour was putting out bread for the pigeons and rats came to help themselves. She was told to stop doing it and there hasn't been a problem since.

Greyduster Mon 13-Mar-17 14:38:16

Lucky we have starlings nesting in the soffits on one side of our house. They were there last year and we thought we had blocked their entry, but they're there again with a new tactic this year. They wake us up as soon as it gets light with a sort of morse code tapping which is very loud. DH bangs on the bedroom wall with his fist and they stop - for a bit. It's getting to be like a Hitchcock movie! I don't know what they are pecking at, but there is no sign of them in the loft so that's something I suppose. I can hear them moving about, and last year we could hear the chicks when they were hungry!

Greyduster Mon 13-Mar-17 14:42:28

Cherry, sorry but I have to say that if it were mice I would be just as worried. They have filthy toilet habits and breed like the very devil if they get the chance.

Iam64 Mon 13-Mar-17 18:34:15

CherryTree - your local council will have a Rat Man, or in our case "rodent operative madam". I called them a couple of years ago having seen one rat in the garden. It's free, or it was, in our area and the service was brilliant. He put poison down but in safe containers and areas because we have dogs. He returned over a few weeks, one dead rat which he took away, thankfully.
I used those squirrel busting bird feeders and we've seen no evidence of rats since then.

Luckygirl Mon 13-Mar-17 19:02:06

They tend to put the poison in a pipe - a child or domestic pet cannot get into them, but it is just the sort of venue that appeals to a rat!

We had birds nesting in some portion of our house once - difficult actually work out how they got in. But we knocked back a fireplace (that had been boxed/bricked in several times) to the original inglenook. This left a gap between where the old ceiling ended and the house wall. We were sitting in there one day and baby birds started peeping their heads down through the gap! Very sweet!

Cherrytree59 Mon 13-Mar-17 21:01:33

Even though I love wild birds I'm petrified of birds flapping around indoors.
We have had starlings in our loft (we also thought mice)
one managed to get in to a down pipe cover.
it was awful listening to it scrabbling to get out.
The plaster board had to be cut to get the bird out.
Unable to get to the birds with fishing net, DH left the loft hatch off and the front door open whilst he went up in the loft to scare the birds out.
It worked but then it was race to get up the ladder to repair the mortar that the starlings had pecked out to gain entry to the attic.
Starlings usually return to the same place every year.

The joys of wildlife grin

Deedaa Mon 13-Mar-17 21:30:27

If you do get a pest controller in be sure to do exactly what he says. A friend of ours is one and he says the only problems he has are with people who don't do what he says and then find they still have a rat problem. They are so resistant to poisons now that it's a fine art getting rid of them.

Niobe Mon 13-Mar-17 21:42:51

This is why I don't feed the birds in my garden!

vampirequeen Tue 14-Mar-17 08:11:00

We have garden mice. I had a chat with them during which I told them very clearly that whilst they were garden mice I was quite happy to see them and they could help themselves to the bird food but if just one of them made any move towards the house they were all dead. Up to now they've stayed in the garden grin

I wouldn't worry too much about the rat yet. It may just be a visitor. If you are concerned get a humane rat trap then release it miles away.

IkeHicks Sat 24-Jun-17 10:37:55

I am unable to determine whether it is a rat or mouse. But if you think its a rat that its exclusion is really must because it harms the surroundings and can even infect your food. A friend of mine has got all the rats exterminated from the pest control rats Sacramento CA (http://pinnaclepest.com/roseville-pest-control-servicecenter/) professionals. The team made it very easy in exterminating the rats from her home and made the safer environment to live. Moreover, they gave her organic spraying which didn't harm the nature.

Chimaera Sun 25-Jun-17 09:48:55

We have bird feeders and no mice / rats - we have never seen any since we moved here (our last place had rats in the garden due to a lazy landlord next door). However there is a healthy cat population round here - and we attract many birds, some eat from the feeders, some eat the food that is dropped, and what gets left is hoovered up by our beagles.

Diggingdoris Sun 25-Jun-17 09:49:19

We had a visiting rat in the winter eating the bits the birds drop from the feeder. We think it was living under next doors shed, as they throw bread on the lawn for birds. Our jack russell chased it back under the fence a few times and we haven't seen it since, so I hope it has got the message!

SussexGirl60 Sun 25-Jun-17 10:08:53

Sadly we've had to take in all our bird feeders and the bird table since we saw a rat on it, helping himself! I think the initial attraction was from our neighbour who likes to chuck down bread etc onto his grass for all and sundry. Our other neighbour has also stopped feeding the birds and has since seen a smaller rat as well. Sorry state of affairs. May put it out again in the winter.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 25-Jun-17 10:10:26

Living but a few miles from the coast I unfortunately had to stop feeding the birds due to the gulls who would get there first. They would perch on my roof in anticipation screeching from first light. Imagine the state of my roof?

W11girl Sun 25-Jun-17 10:25:04

That old urban myth springs to mind...."we are never more than 6 metres from a rat" at any one time, particularly in cities because of the amount of fast food restaurants/cafe's etc.