Gransnet forums

Chat

Wales

(522 Posts)
Anniebach Wed 15-Mar-17 10:24:43

Just a little reminder such a country exists in the UK smile

goldengirl Wed 15-Mar-17 10:27:24

smile I'm trying hard to at least say some words in Welsh by using tutorials on line and also by watching Pobol y Cym - with subtitles.

goldengirl Wed 15-Mar-17 10:27:45

whoops! Should be Cwm

rosesarered Wed 15-Mar-17 10:38:50

The first time I saw Pobol Y Cym in the tv listings, my brain tried to make sense of it before I realised it was in Welsh! grin
If all the men in Wales sounded like Richard Burton ( or looked like him) I would live there in a flash.

Greyduster Wed 15-Mar-17 11:02:36

Have no chance of forgetting Wales exists, Annie. I am married to a Welshman. He doesn't sound (or look) like Richard Burton, but he'll do! My sister always said his voice made her melt. He can sing the odd song in Welsh, but doesn't speak the language.

gillybob Wed 15-Mar-17 11:08:31

DH and I are a very multicultural couple Anniebach. We were in Glasgow for the weekend, home to England on Monday and DH was in Wrexham yesterday on business. smile

and I have millions of daffodils growing in my front garden stdavids stdavids stdavids

Anniebach Wed 15-Mar-17 11:10:17

Greyduster, the voice does it every time grin

hildajenniJ Wed 15-Mar-17 13:13:54

I love Wales. We have spent many happy hours on holiday there. Anglesey is my particular favourite, the scenery is fantastic. I married a man with a Welsh surname, so I count myself part Welsh. (I don't know how long ago the family left Wales).

Anniebach Wed 15-Mar-17 13:31:49

Anglesey is beautiful, my family are from Anglesey, many generations , no idea how far back, only got to 18th century

Gagagran Wed 15-Mar-17 13:50:35

My very first holiday away from my parents was at the age of 10 when I went to a Girl Guide camp for a week in the Berwyn Mountains above Llangollen. The weather was wonderful and the scenery breathtaking. I have loved Wales ever since.

Pippa000 Wed 15-Mar-17 15:29:33

Writing this from a small village between Cardiff and Bridgend. We live in a multi generational bungalow with DS DiL and two GC for about 6 months of the year, the rest is spent in Cyprus. Wouldn't change our time in Wales for anything. GC go to the village school and are teaching us Welsh. Love the country, love the people. stdavidsstdavidsstdavids

Lona Wed 15-Mar-17 15:31:29

I love Wales, it's a magical country. stdavidssunshine

Anniebach Wed 15-Mar-17 15:58:31

Lona, it is suppose to be magical, with our Druids, witches etc. We seemed to have every lake and mountain haunted by beautiful women, dogs, cats , not men though , unless you count Arthur sleeping in a cave , yes he is here as well as Glastonbury

annsixty Wed 15-Mar-17 16:40:41

We had a static caravan in N Wales for about 9 years and it was a very sad day for me when we had to give it up when my H's problems started. I spent such very happy times there. I just loved it.

tanith Wed 15-Mar-17 16:42:21

We love Wales too any part suits us. My Mums family are from Sth Wales valleys and my sister lives near Tenby and a niece near Aberystwyth so we visit different parts for our trips , we've never visited Anglesey but keep promising we'll go maybe this year.
stdavids

KatyK Wed 15-Mar-17 16:57:58

We visited Wales last year, just outside Conwy. It was beautiful. I also loved the fairground at Llandudno. It was just like fairgrounds I visited when I was younger. Lovely and very nostalgic.

Cherrytree59 Wed 15-Mar-17 17:18:15

Love Wales Annie
Have spent lovely holidays and weekends in North Wales
We have friends who live in Ogmore nr Bridgend .
Have also spent many a time with DH
zipping tootling round the welsh mountains on a motorbike .
Nice thread after some of the rhetoric on other Celtic threadssmile

Greyduster Wed 15-Mar-17 19:09:30

We visited Conway on the way back from Anglesey some years ago. In the process of trying to find a branch of our bank, we found The Tudor House. A very unprepossessing place from the outside but inside WOW! It's like the tardis, and similarly, it whisks you right back to the sixteenth century. I was blown away by it. Anyone been there?

cornergran Wed 15-Mar-17 20:34:15

Just driving back from there now annie. Mr C is Welsh, wonderful memories of holidays in the North and West. Very foggy right now on the motorway after a lovely sunny day.

rosesarered Wed 15-Mar-17 20:54:16

Talking of Welsh voices, did anyone watch the series 'The Trip' and 'The Trip To Italy'
With Rob Bryden and Steve Coogan.Brilliant!
If you haven't seen it, try and download it.

Anniebach Wed 15-Mar-17 21:45:25

Drive carefully cornergran.

Jalima Wed 15-Mar-17 21:52:53

I have recentky enjoyed an Eisteddfod smile

Jalima Wed 15-Mar-17 21:53:25

Recenkly? Is that Welsh?

Jalima Wed 15-Mar-17 21:56:30

RECENTLY! !

time for moon?

Anniebach Wed 15-Mar-17 22:23:38

I am glad I started this thread, proof we need each other

So - Croeso i Cymru

and may you have more happy times here , the rain may even stop on the mountains [ smile]