Gransnet forums

Chat

Now this is spooky

(23 Posts)
BlueBelle Sat 18-Mar-17 22:46:27

I have an inside back door between my conservatory and kitchen I keep it locked as extra security The key lives in the lock I ve never taken it out and at night or if I go out I make sure it's locked Tonight getting ready for bed I went to lock this door and there is no key in it or anywhere around, not on the floor I ve felt in all my bags and pockets just in case absent kindly I d removed it but no sign
I live alone and no ones been to visit or anything I thought I had a spare one but although I keep all my spare keys hanging up together there isn't one .... I m secure as the back door is locked and bolted but how spooky is that
Any suggestions apart from St Anthony

tanith Sat 18-Mar-17 22:50:58

Sometimes I think keys have a life of their own, I'm sure you'll find it when you are least expecting it.

Cherrytree59 Sat 18-Mar-17 23:17:55

I have the same situation as you
And try to leave key in lock
Sometimes when I have been absent-minded I have put the key in my pocket or on the sideboard.

Do you have a spare key to use to lock the door for tonight?

Try to remember back to when you last unlocked the door and what you did directly afterwards
For example did you go that way to peg out your washing?
If so check peg bag.
Or water plants in conservatory.
Check pots.

When I lose things they generally turn up in very strange places

Quite recently I couldn't find our back door key
I found it later in the cat litter tray!shock

Good luck.

Hopehope Sun 19-Mar-17 00:15:22

When DH was still working he was in a panic because he couldn't find the keys to his van. I knew they must be in the house because he drove home. after he frantically messed up the place looking for them as only a Man could do we decided to leave it until later on, calm down etc.

I later found them in the Dog's treat jar!!!

Grandma2213 Sun 19-Mar-17 00:59:52

This is my world! Luckily I have a DS who does replacement keys. I have lost count of the times I have emptied the bins and never found the door key. They usually turn up days/weeks later in or near the place where I first looked for them.

Car keys have a life of their own. I either put them straight in my pocket or on the kitchen window sill. When they disappear I search through pockets of coats, jackets I normally wear and those that are worn occasionally and usually they are in the pocket I first looked in.

They are rarely found in an unexpected place though I found them on the bathroom floor when I had to rush in to the house once for obvious reasons!

BlueBelle Sun 19-Mar-17 05:28:32

The strange part is since I had the door put in two years ago I have NEVER taken the key out of the lock NEVER and yes I thought I had a spare but the hook that I hang all my spares on has NO back door key on it so blooming weird

Yes I can do all the 'what did I do last etc' but there would be no reason for me to take the key out of the door my house keys yes I m always losing them but this one never moves

I ll keep you updated. It's like it has just jumped out of the lock ??

BlueBelle Sun 19-Mar-17 10:33:14

Whoop whoop whoop I ve found it donned with rubber gloves newspaper on the floor emptied the bin which stands nearby and bingo towards the bottom were my keys (both on one key ring) I can only presume the door at some point had banged with a draughtband the key must have flipped out into the bin phew....panic over xx

Jayanna9040 Sun 19-Mar-17 10:49:35

Actually, at this precise moment I can't get out of the house (except climbing out of kitchen window!) because the keys are............

mcem Sun 19-Mar-17 10:58:47

Last weekend as I took her home DGD (6)
spotted a set of car keys left in the driver's door. I checked the door was locked and removed the keys. We called at several nearby flats but no-one recognised the car or knew the owner. I left a note on the windscreen saying that if they'd lost 'something important' they should call my number.
After an hour or so a caller said his keys has been left in the car and, as asked, described the key fob and car. I took the keys to him and explained about DGD.
He then informed me that he was a taxi driver and a bag of cash was in the car.
No 'Thank you' and no acknowledgment of a bright little girl's part in saving his neck!!

Welshwife Sun 19-Mar-17 11:40:00

We have had several strange happenings in this French house but the strangest was a spirit level which went missing.
Years ago when we were doing a lot of work in the house we had it rewired and and to do this we completely emptied the loft space of all fibreglass insulation etc. The space is high enough for rooms - when all clear and not anything in it except a large builders spirit level leaning against the wall by a tiny window, we put a wood treatment over all the floor - actually poured it on and used brooms to put it over all the surface. Spirit level still there and we left the house to return to UK.
When we returned some months later and DH wanted spirit level he went up to get it from the now dry floor and all smells gone - and no spirit level in sight. I was called and we looked everywhere in a completely empty space. After some weeks it suddenly returned to the place where it had originally been left. We had been on our own in the house both when we treated the floor and also when we returned to it. A mystery we have never solved!

f77ms Sun 19-Mar-17 14:41:06

I found a lost key in the bottom of the washer . Nothing spooky going on at all , you will find it in some odd place !

wot Sun 19-Mar-17 15:18:13

I often find keys, specs etc in my dressing gown pocket!

tanith Sun 19-Mar-17 15:22:35

Glad you found them BlueBell I bet you are relieved..

rosesarered Sun 19-Mar-17 18:03:09

A strange case Welshwife and not easily explainable!
However, lost keys are rarely spooky, but there is always a prosaic reason, even if we don't know or don't remember what happened in an absentminded moment.
The front door key, which always lives in a tray next to the door goes missing a lot, but is always found in one of my many handbags.blush

Liaise Sun 19-Mar-17 18:19:42

Eldest son's first house was a centuries old cottage, part of an old inn. He and his girlfriend lived there quite happily for several years and eventually bought a bigger house. The remote controls for the TV had to be replaced several times while they were at the cottage as they went missing. Whilst out in town one day they met the couple who bought the cottage from them. Son asked the new occupants how they were settling in. All was fine they said except that they keep losing the remote controls. Even searching down the sides of the armchairs didn't reveal them. The mystery was never solved.

Welshwife Sun 19-Mar-17 18:34:52

It must be some houses then as we still get funny things happening to odd items - several new padlocks used for the first time have been mis shaped when we have gone to open them and so badly they cannot be either straightened or closed! DH cannot understand it as they are made of some type of hardened steel.

Willow500 Sun 19-Mar-17 18:42:32

I once found my car keys in the freezer in the bag with the bread in it! Also a few years ago I lost my house/car keys completely - I was convinced I'd left them in the post office and retraced my steps but they never tuned up and it cost me a small fortune having a new set cut especially for the car. About 18 months later we were decorating and had to dismantle the wall unit - I was cleaning out the very big cubby hole at the bottom of it and yes - there were the full set of keys hiding at the back!!

Greyduster Mon 20-Mar-17 11:30:03

When we had our conservatory roof replaced last year, all the window keys disappeared. The fitters insisted they had not, and had no reason to have taken them out of the locks. Neither DH nor I could remember having taken them out and if we had, they would have been in the same place we always put them when we go away. We have found a key that does fit, but it is not the right key, though at least we can now lock the windows when we go away. None of the keys have turned up anywhere, and St Anthony has been singularly unhelpful (though he was very good when DD dropped her Fitbit when we were on holiday!).

NonnaW Mon 20-Mar-17 15:18:59

I remember my SIL telling me about something that went missing for a while, eventually being found inside one of her shoes in the wardrobe - she'd obviously put the shoes on the stairs for next time she went up and placed the missing object inside to make it easier to carry up. She also lost her bus pass once, applied for and got a new one only to find the old one stuck to the bottom of something in the freezer!

harrigran Mon 20-Mar-17 17:59:57

At present we are missing a set of garage keys, they have been missing for months and all searches have drawn a blank. They normally sit in a small box in a kitchen drawer alongside family and neighbour's keys, the grass is going to need cutting soon how are we going to get the mower ?

wot Mon 20-Mar-17 19:31:05

Say "I pin the devil" three times.

wot Mon 20-Mar-17 21:09:32

Supposed to work but doesn't.

rosesarered Mon 20-Mar-17 22:13:32

Call the locksmith out harrigran ( and the minute he comes out to you, and puts a new lock on, you will find your old keys.)