Gransnet forums

Chat

Baby Wipes

(104 Posts)
Jayanna9040 Tue 21-Mar-17 22:59:17

Ok, I can't keep it to myself. Today I have seen a new v expensive product. Baby wipes for that sensitive skin. The unique selling point? They only contain water.
A bargain at £3.95 for twenty.
Or do I just not get it?

tanith Wed 22-Mar-17 09:34:20

Clean damp flannel/cotton wool in a plastic bag, why spend money on a cloth and water that then goes in the waste? I just don't get it apart from laziness.

Greyduster Wed 22-Mar-17 09:47:34

Tricia I think I'd prefer the method the Army of ancient Rome used of a sponge on a stick, dipped in vinegar - you just didn't have to think about who had used it before you, I suppose!

Auntieflo Wed 22-Mar-17 09:47:44

I haven't seen them advertised, but when DS2 and DIL were here recently, she asked him to pick up some when he was going out. I thought I had misheard, but eveidently not. I must have brought my three up in the stone age, flannels and tap water, and they all survived. Wife of DS1 must have thought I was paranoid when their little ones were running amok, as I think she thought I had a J-cloth permanently attached to my hand.

Beammeupscottie Wed 22-Mar-17 09:50:44

We no longer have the facility to burn at home, do we. I like my wipes but worry where they go to after binning (we know not to put down the toilet). I am thinking of saving them - about 14 a week - to burn on the garden chiminea. I remember one of the boons of an open fire was to casually throw bit of rubbish on it. Much cleaner and it gave you control of your rubbish disposal knowing where it went.

ggmarion Wed 22-Mar-17 10:13:14

I always had a bucket of napisan next to the toilet for the terry nappies. When my second child was born (1968) nappy liners had been invented and the first (that I knew of) disposable nappies available. What a luxury for special occasions. The smell of boiling washing (ugh) then the satisfaction of a line of pure white nappies on the line. We didn't go back to work but our expectations were fewer. I can't see the point of so many different wipes. As others have said there is nothing wrong with a j cloth or cotton wool soaked in clean water for little faces and bottoms or ecloths and plain old water for cleaning.

gillybob Wed 22-Mar-17 10:16:58

Talk about multi-purpose. What's not to like about these? except maybe the price I'm gonna keep a packet of these in the glove box of my car then if DGC have sticky faces I can wipe them and if I find myself feeling thirsty I can suck one dry. grin

ksteele Wed 22-Mar-17 10:30:14

Re wipes for everything - I remember thinking once it would not be long before one walked into a Church and beside the confessional and holy water there would be wipes for wiping away the sins of the world!

moobox Wed 22-Mar-17 10:34:04

Morrisons - fragrance free - 46p - that'd be better

Frannytoo Wed 22-Mar-17 10:43:17

I can't understand why people buy ready made porridge to be heated in the microwave. Is mixing oats with water too much?

Beammeupscottie Wed 22-Mar-17 10:46:32

I would not like a wipe-down with a JCloth. They are horrible. The point of a wipe is that they are disposable. I do not want stuff "soaking" in my kitchen or bathroom. It's either in the bin or the washing machine for me.

karenghanley Wed 22-Mar-17 10:47:28

These do the trick www.cheekywipes.com/

Beammeupscottie Wed 22-Mar-17 10:48:40

I remember being freaked out as a child when using an Auntie' s bathroom. She had home-made sanitary towels soaking in the wash basin. Gross.

Emptynester Wed 22-Mar-17 10:49:56

I use cheap baby wipes a lot as they are so useful when I am doing oil painting. DD use to use them for the DGC, but we are very careful what happens to them, as definitely no flushing. They can apparently cause havoc in the pipes etc and are not made to easily biodegrade. The new water ones would be useless for me.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 22-Mar-17 10:56:59

Tesco baby wipes are fantastic value.Always carry a pack with me when going out.You never know when you will need one.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 22-Mar-17 11:01:52

Beammeupscottie
Remember those days well. Unfortunately there was no other choice that I know off but my gran was very discreet and would put them in a bucket of water in our garden shed.
We are so lucky these days to have such alternatives.

Beammeupscottie Wed 22-Mar-17 11:18:55

Yes. Sara, we are indeed luckier now. Again, think of the job the open fire did. I remember my Mum stuffing little parcels down the back of the fire! She later gave me the tip to wrap your st in a bit of newspaper and poke down in the grate (when the men were out!).

Jayanna9040 Wed 22-Mar-17 11:21:37

I'd forgotten the sanitary towels at the back of the fire. Also having to buy them over the counter at the village shop and having them wrapped discretely in newspaper. As if the large newspaper bundle wasn't even more conspicuous!

Lewlew Wed 22-Mar-17 11:21:38

I use flannels with warm water, but when we go out, take the WWs. They cost because of portability. The citric bit in them is to prevent them moulding. We use them to clean DGD's hands and face as well after eating or for a runny nose that has gotten a bit crusty.

I definitely think they are too expensive... I myself use Pampers Sensitive for personal hygiene.But one day I used one on DGD bottom as they were handier than the WWs and she broke out in a rash by evening! I was mortified. She has very sensitive skin and I didn't think it would matter...yikes.

So it's back to WWs or a wet warm flannel for nappy changing. shock

Lewlew Wed 22-Mar-17 11:23:10

Beammeupscottie & Jayanna9040 Oh man does that remind me of that scene in 'To Sir With Love'....ewwwww.

Margs Wed 22-Mar-17 11:25:47

Too true, Marydoll, it is a ridiculous price but y'know what? Somebody (plenty!)will buy them, because they have more money than sense and nothing will be too good for their little Munchkins bottie!

Yes, it beggars belief......

acanthus Wed 22-Mar-17 11:45:23

Ugh! Memories of those buckets full of dirty nappies, although I did find rinsing them first in the bidet helped! As for the water wipes - absolute rubbish. When my girls were babies I used water and cotton wool to clean their bottoms with a bit of Sudocrem to finish off if necessary. I never used all those proprietary creams and lotions and certainly never talc!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 22-Mar-17 11:49:12

Well, yes indeed. What's wrong with a flannel and some tap water? When I went camping I used a few wet wipes on my face but for heaven's sake ... I live in a house. So the flannel/water combo get my vote.

DS64till Wed 22-Mar-17 12:06:28

I think sometimes we get brainwashed into thinking because it's on sale it's essential to have. My oldest baby is 30 and my youngest ones 16 ( twins) and I always used baby wipes as they were available readily. Thinking about it water probably would have worked as well. Certainly has got the cogs turning as to what other things I could do without...... apart from facial serum, I couldn't do without that lol x

W1chhada Wed 22-Mar-17 12:24:22

We prize the delivery of clean tap water in less privileged areas of the world yet buy bottled water to drink ourselves.
These wipes may be handy for out and about but they typify rampant consumerism.

joannewton46 Wed 22-Mar-17 12:34:16

The Romans used a scrubbing brush dipped in vinegar (in a shared latrine) - just shows how times change.
Babywipes are great especially when you're out for a while but I wish the manufacturers had kept the individual sachets so you didn't have to carry a bigger pack around. Presumably they cost too much and cut into their profit margins. Cynical - who, me?