Gransnet forums

Chat

Everything is going up except our income.

(237 Posts)
gillybob Wed 22-Mar-17 13:34:06

I take my dad shopping a couple of times a week. He tends to buy the exact same things on a weekly basis. For example;

A small chicken, loaf of his favourite seedy bread, a small tub of Lurpak, a small pack of mince, bananas etc.

We have noticed that the prices for these fairly basic items is rising at an alarming rate and added to recent council tax rises and (his)local authority rents etc. things are becoming very difficult for a lot of people.

I am not retired (probably never will due to changes in rules) but I haven't had a wage rise in over 5 years. My council tax has risen dramatically and I wonder how ordinary people are supposed to make ends meet?

I know they blame Brexit for rising supermarket prices and the increased cost of elderly social care for council tax rises, but I wonder are we all just being conned big style?

Maggiemaybe Fri 14-Apr-17 00:14:48

I love the TK Maxx soaps too. The only trouble is that some of them are as big as bricks, so you've to leap out of the way when you drop them in the shower, or risk a broken foot. Or perhaps it's just me. blush

Perhaps I should start sawing them in half?

SueDonim Thu 13-Apr-17 20:22:00

Thanks for the soap tip!

Jalima1108 Thu 13-Apr-17 19:53:27

I like Scottish Fine Soaps and they now do a liquid hand wash. Also some handwash made in New Zealand.

GillT57 Thu 13-Apr-17 19:50:27

So do I Jalima and really nicely packaged liquid soaps too, if the bottle is especially nice I have been known to refill it with Aldi hand wash! Aldi hand wash is rather nice actually but I do like the lovely french style bottles from TKMaxx.

Jalima1108 Thu 13-Apr-17 19:41:45

I buy nice soap from TK Maxx [shhhh] hope I'm not advertising!

SueDonim Thu 13-Apr-17 19:37:13

Little treats are nice to have, aren't they, Gillybob? I like nice soap for my bathroom and so I buy them. Not mega-expensive stuff but more than a bar of carbolic grin and it feels like a luxury.

Norah Thu 13-Apr-17 14:34:27

I make mine 'spreadable' by mixing briskly 1/2 portion of butter to 1/2 portion of olive oil. Cuts the cost and cholesterol as well.

gillybob Thu 13-Apr-17 14:26:45

He is just a creature of habit SueDonim and Norah my late mum always bought Lurpak (which she spread so thick you could see impressions of your teeth in it) and so he always does too. To be fair he does little else. He also likes the spreadable type (which I believe is blended) and I am not sure you can get in other brands.

Norah Thu 13-Apr-17 14:19:02

I love butter on everything, especially kerrygold. Has you Dad tried KG? Lurpak is delicious of course.

SueDonim Thu 13-Apr-17 13:02:38

Gillybob I just use Tesco's own Scottish butter, but they also sell British butter. I think they're identical, apart from where it is sourced. Maybe your dad likes that little luxury, though. smile

mumofmadboys Thu 13-Apr-17 12:43:33

Thanks Rigby.

Rigby46 Thu 13-Apr-17 08:41:44

Yes the working young person has to pay the whole amount. If his salary is low, he may be entitled to some council tax reduction. I also think there are plenty of other reasons for not living in a mixed house grin

mumofmadboys Thu 13-Apr-17 07:48:10

One of my sons graduates soon. As a student he has been exempt from Council tax. Does anyone know what happens if he lives in a mixed house of students and workers next year? If say 3 are students and are exempt would one working young person have to pay the whole council tax themselves? It is putting him off living in a mixed house.

gillybob Wed 12-Apr-17 23:19:41

Thank you for taking the time to carry out a "field report" SueDonim I really appreciate it. I would love it if I could convince my dear dad that there was a cheaper/better brand available to him . Which butter do you prefer? Is it available UK wide? smile

Ana Wed 12-Apr-17 20:17:55

There was always a choice of Lurpak or Anchor at my grandparents' house as they both had their preferences!

SueDonim Wed 12-Apr-17 20:04:29

I'm reporting back on my experiment with Lurpak butter. I really can't discern what makes it any better than any other butter. If anything, it seems oily and over-processed. So, I can save myself the extra pennies in future by carrying on buying my usual Scottish butter! grin

gillybob Sun 26-Mar-17 09:42:34

How would you quantify the happiest?

I agree with DJ and maybe it's more to do with equality.

Rigby46 Sun 26-Mar-17 09:12:01

Baden grin

Badenkate Sun 26-Mar-17 08:51:53

Well it does depend on the criteria you chose what results you get in these type of surveys. I do remember one not so long ago where Columbia came out as the happiest country. Having lived in Switzerland for many years, I would have described them as self-satisfied rather than happy - at least the German speaking part.

durhamjen Sat 25-Mar-17 20:48:26

The five happiest are four Nordic and Switzerland. Perhaps the cold does have something to do with it, but it's more likely to do with equality.

durhamjen Sat 25-Mar-17 20:46:16

Not really. Because Norway is the happiest country in the world doesn't mean they have to stay there all the time.
They go elsewhere in the winter to get away from the snow and ice, just like wealthy Brits. Maybe more Norwegians do because they are wealthier. Maybe in Cyprus you only meet the wealthier ones who can afford to go away for weeks at a time.
It has nothing whatsoever to do with happiness.

We are well down in the happiness stakes because of the differential in pay, more than anything else, and because we have more in poverty.

Jalima Sat 25-Mar-17 20:41:39

so it is different.

Jalima Sat 25-Mar-17 20:41:14

But we are not the happiest country in the world - apparently!!

durhamjen Sat 25-Mar-17 20:38:03

No different to people in this country going to the Canaries for winter if they can afford it.

Jalima Sat 25-Mar-17 20:28:48

That's interesting - Norway is 'the happiest country in the world' - interesting because I met a Norwegian man when we were on holiday in Cyprus one year and he said that everyone who was able to fled Norway in the winter to escape the snow and ice! He had been in Cyprus for several weeks with friends.