Gransnet forums

Chat

Malapropisms

(118 Posts)
Teetime Thu 23-Mar-17 09:48:47

DH and I enjoy the odd malapropism from time to time and I wondered if you did. Today's offering from DH was ' speaking meteorologically'. Made me laugh.

PRINTMISS Thu 23-Mar-17 15:44:37

I once heard someone say 'sympathise your watches', and unfortunately, if ever there is a group of us, and we need to check the time, I always come out with that expression, and get one or two funny looks.

Karanlouise Thu 23-Mar-17 16:24:46

Galen and Gillybob so funny i laughed really loud. Really cheered me up. grin

grannylyn65 Thu 23-Mar-17 16:29:19

Ha ha ha !!!

JackyB Thu 23-Mar-17 16:43:09

I've been laughing out loud, too - thanks everyone!

BlueBelle Thu 23-Mar-17 17:14:04

This is more a language thing but I had some Russians staying in my house and they referred to my lovely 'kitchen' purring loudly They also told me that they had been to town and bought some sperm I was a bit worried where they had been it turns out they had bought packets of flower seeds to take back

My mum used to tell me how perathupic it was watching the clouds float by
'

AlieOxon Thu 23-Mar-17 17:30:45

A friend in Dundee always used to say 'Cool, calm and collective' .....

Daddima Thu 23-Mar-17 17:54:03

Oh dear. Here are just a few from my wee auntie;

" Best to put a Muslim nappy next to the baby's skin"
" I'd like the wallpaper to have the pattern embezzled on to it"
" It can affect your menstrusal cyclone "
And many, many more...

Teetime Thu 23-Mar-17 18:02:13

I always loved Victoria woods ' all colours of the speculum'.

GillT57 Thu 23-Mar-17 18:02:50

We have deliberate ones too and I do wonder if anyone overhearing them thinks we are all a bit dim.....' don't stick your knife in the toaster you fool you'll get electroplated. We call someone with little taste a bit of a palestine instead of a philistine. Washing up liquid is called fairly liquid and our utility room is the utilitarian room.

phoenix Thu 23-Mar-17 18:19:14

Various ones, from various sources:

Are you going to take your description to the chemist?

We were told that the fish was so poisonous, that even if you just touched it's utensils you could die.

I wouldn't mind cycling, but I refuse to wear those Lurex shorts

It's handy having a shop nearby, even if you just need a pint of bread or a loaf of milk.

That Fino sherry is too dry, I prefer the Armadillo

When it comes to relationships, I'm a firm believer in mahogany.

Jalima Thu 23-Mar-17 19:46:33

"Next door's boy is going to the Second Modernry"
(MIL)

BBbevan Thu 23-Mar-17 21:18:04

The children at school learnt about King Horrid and the Slaughter of the Innocents. Also they sang
' Who built the ark?
No one,No one

Teetime Fri 24-Mar-17 09:19:16

Love them Phoenix.

gillybob Fri 24-Mar-17 09:21:15

Our washing up liquid is hairy lip squid

Mapleleaf Fri 24-Mar-17 09:32:02

I agree, gillybob as Galens post made me chuckle too grin
My MiL, bless her, suffered from terrible Arthuritis.

MissAdventure Fri 24-Mar-17 09:38:33

My mums next door neighbour often had to go indoors when the garden was full of 'flying midgets'

Bellanonna Fri 24-Mar-17 09:46:23

Oh Galen I can't stop laughing !

Bellanonna Fri 24-Mar-17 09:48:26

Enid Blyton used to use that word quite a bit, e.g. she had Julian frequently ejaculating, when the intended meaning was "exclaimed" !

Fairydoll2030 Fri 24-Mar-17 10:00:33

A woman I worked with claimed she had been watching a steamy sex scene on TV, and she could see from the expression on the woman's face that she was having an 'organism.'

My sister's mum in law announced that she had been invited out to lunch by friends, so she was 'retaliating' by inviting them out the following week.

She also went on 'all exclusive' holidays.

Katek Fri 24-Mar-17 11:05:36

Not malapropisms as such but DH once brought home the English version of a hotel brochure from Milan. It was full of gems like " he was attached to his modem by the seat of his trousers" or "he had a few strokes in the pool to restore his yuppy verve" 'Nuff said!

NannyKasey Fri 24-Mar-17 17:30:34

My Dad won't eat sandwiches with 'melonnaise' in them. My DM says 'they didn't have a wing or a prayer' (I think she means they didn't have a clue) and 'We went on the Tour de France' (A long trip not journey on a bike)

TerriBull Fri 24-Mar-17 17:54:01

I once knew someone who wanted to get a little chee hooa hooa.

TerriBull Fri 24-Mar-17 17:58:32

Chihuahua. Spanish innit!

KatyK Fri 24-Mar-17 18:19:46

A friend once told me that someone she knew was 'so thin, I think she's emancipated'.

Eloethan Fri 24-Mar-17 18:52:39

On the menu in a restaurant in Kefalonia was "fried aborigines" - we concluded this was meant to be aubergines.