Gransnet forums

Chat

Cockerels, chocolate teapots and door chimes

(32 Posts)
Katek Mon 27-Mar-17 15:48:49

I've had involvement with all three today. First of all somebody somewhere nearby has acquired a cockerel. It's been crowing on and off all day-what happened to cock crow at dawn then tucking his head under his wing? This is a small estate so it's residence will soon be uncovered. DH is muttering darkly about it making a good plate of soup, poor bird. It is getting annoying though.

Then DD2 gave me a beautiful M&S Mother's Day chocolate cake in the shape of a very elegant pale blue teapot. Two problems - it's too nice to cut into and it serves 10. Only 2 of us and I know that once it's cut I shall eat it whether it's good for me or not! Five days of chocolate cake.......yum.....what to do?

Lastly I had to ring a neighbour's doorbell earlier today, it's new. I leapt off the step when I was suddenly assailed by Dixie (I kid you not) emanating very loudly through the letter box . Not just a couple of bars, but what sounded like half the melody! I don't 'get' musical door bells at all-DH thinks the melody changes every time it's used. Trouble is I'm now humming the damn tune and singing 'Look away, look away' in my head.

Think I will call go and call on a friend for a swift coffee. I need to get out more.

Teetime Mon 27-Mar-17 16:20:31

Cut up the cake give a big bit to the cockerel to silence his cluck, shove some more of it in the next doors doorbell then have a large gin. smile

ninathenana Mon 27-Mar-17 17:37:01

grin Teetime

Or halve the cake and freeze some

NfkDumpling Mon 27-Mar-17 19:25:32

Definitely freeze some of the cake, the cockerel won't appreciate it. The bird should quieten after a day or two when he fails to get a response and knows he's top bird. If not, barbecue season is coming! Our cheap B&Q door chimes occasional deviate from a quick burst of Big Ben to Dixie for no known reason. It is an option we've never chosen!

Greyduster Mon 27-Mar-17 19:56:20

Teetime ?

Katek Tue 28-Mar-17 09:02:15

The cockerel is back-at dawn and ever since. Not amused.

Teetime Tue 28-Mar-17 09:06:41

I know we used to live near one but it went on all day.

yggdrasil Tue 28-Mar-17 09:08:15

Doorbell: I have one that goes on for quite a while. lets the visitor know it is ringing and gives me time to get to the door.
It isn't Dixie but it is the longest offered with the bell

vampirequeen Tue 28-Mar-17 09:12:37

Eat the cake. Watch Beauty and the Beast and your earworm will change to one of its songs. The cockerel will continue to crow because it's warning off other cockerels even though there aren't any. Eventually like an annoying machine hum you or aircraft passing over you won't hear it anymore.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 28-Mar-17 09:47:39

If you haven't already cut into the cake (haven't RTWT) why not take a photo of it on your mobile? That way you can still look at it and delight in its beauty. Have your cake and eat it, as it were.

Mauriherb Tue 28-Mar-17 09:59:17

My friend had a cockerel a couple of years ago but neighbours complained to the council and she had to get rid of it.
Re the cake, please send me your address and I will dispose of it for you grin
I think your neighbours will soon get fed up with the doorbell
Have a cuppa brew x

blueberry1 Tue 28-Mar-17 10:24:03

We have a local cockerel who crows off and on all day-everyone has just got used it now but I'm glad I don't live next door!
Chocolate cake no problem,just eat it!
As for the doorbell,is there a knocker or letterbox flap you could use instead?

GrannyAnnie2010 Tue 28-Mar-17 10:50:54

Our neighbours have trees in their gardens, and three families of crows live in them. The racquet every morning is a nightmare. Give me a rooster any day!

Katek Tue 28-Mar-17 11:02:53

My lovely cake-am having slice for elevenses then freezing half. Cockerel still at it but haven't had to ring any doorbells yet!! We also have crows in nearby woods and seagulls overhead-oh and helicopter flights to offshore installations. I hope cockerel noises will disappear into general background noise-who said the countryside was quiet?

Greyduster Tue 28-Mar-17 11:09:48

Behind my neighbour's back fence is a large chicken run - about thirty birds. When we first moved in there was a cockerel who wasn't particularly noisy but did let you know he was there! We haven't heard or seen him for some time now. I do hope it is because he's quietened down and not some more sinister reason. He was a handsome chap. As for your doorbell, ever since I read your OP that bloody tune has stuck in my head and I can't get rid of it. Perhaps some of the cake would help?

travelsafar Tue 28-Mar-17 11:30:31

How beautiful is that cake, i too would be loathe to cut into it, so i would take a photo like you have done to treasure and then just go for it and enjoy!!!!

Sheilasue Tue 28-Mar-17 12:28:57

I saw the cake at m&s on Friday, thought it looked large but yummy can you freeze it? If so cut in slices and stick in separate bags and just have a piece when you feel like it.

Katek Tue 28-Mar-17 12:28:57

Just for you greyduster.......!!

m.youtube.com/watch?v=5OKdbc0DYpM

Legs55 Tue 28-Mar-17 12:53:20

Cake looks yummy, as I'm on my own I would have to slice & freeze.

My neighbours have a pair of seagulls who nest on their roof each year from February to November they raise a pair of young every year. Noise starts at 4am once it's light at that time & goes on all day, can't do anything whilst they're nesting or raising young. From the noise you'd think we had flocks of themhmm

Countryside is never quiet, we get a lot of helicopters as I live on the edge of Dartmoor, not as bad as when I lived just out of Yeovil, Westland & RNAS Yeovilton on the doorstep, you do get used to the noise. Hope cockrel soons quieten down.

As for doorbell, I'd just bang on the door

Greyduster Tue 28-Mar-17 13:08:02

Thanks for that, Katek - just what I needed! hmm. There is, however, a version sung by Elvis Presley, and while I was never a fan of his, it is lovely and worth a listen.

Lottielootron Tue 28-Mar-17 13:08:25

We had a cockerel next door to us when we lived in Orkney, his name was "Feck" for obvious reasons ??

charliebb Tue 28-Mar-17 16:20:08

I think you have the right idea Teatime - in particular the large gin! Go for it Kate. xx

mags1234 Tue 28-Mar-17 16:39:58

The only thing worse than cockerels is screaming peacocks! Drove my parents and their neighbours mad. Eventually they had to go to court, not only for noise, but they ruined everyone's gardens and actually began dunting the cars!

Lilyflower Tue 28-Mar-17 16:45:41

Many houses built in the twentieth century have clauses which forbid the keeping of domestic poultry. Check to see if you neighbour is falling fowl ( sorry) of this rule. If so, threaten a court action.

Galen Tue 28-Mar-17 16:56:44

Did you hear about the Inuit who was so cold in his boat that he lit a fire in the bottom?
Unfortunately this burnt through and the boat sank!
This proves that you can't have your kayak and heat it!?