Gransnet forums

Chat

My Poor Face

(32 Posts)
Hopehope Tue 28-Mar-17 23:40:31

I am feeling sorry for myself. Mouth was a little sore yesterday, last night throbbing like mad in bed. When I got up this morning it wasn't TOO bad, but by lunchtime face swollen.

I called the Dentist, was told mine is away all week as his Dad is very poorly, but they got me in with a very nice Lady Dentist, so I have some antibiotics now. I can't wait for them to kick in, one side of my face is very swollen, and hurts like hell. I can't smile, my lips are all lopsided like I had a stroke.

The crux of it is my teeth at the top are not good, well it is the gums really so some of the teeth are a bit unstable, I have a bridge too and a crown over the years. Dentist has been warning me that I will probably have to have them out and end up with a full denture on the top. I can see now that after this heals up I will have to get brave and have this done.

I usually am the sort to just get on with things, but I feel really quite down about this. Feel like I am like an old car with bits dropping off the bodywork!, and as my car went to the scrapyard in January that isn't a great feeling.

Am going to get a couple of ibuprofen and a couple of paracetemol now and try to ignore the pain and get some sleep.

[cry]

TriciaF Wed 29-Mar-17 18:05:47

Hopehope I like your bit about "feel like an old car with bits dropping off" grinI feel like that often (but probably I'm a lot older than you.)
Seriously - you shouldn't let tooth infections go on too long, they can cause problems elsewhere. Try to find an emergency dental service in your area.
Good luck!

mazza245 Wed 29-Mar-17 21:52:19

After all my problems last week, I have nothing but sympathy. I really hope you get it sorted very soon. Sending flowers

Shizam Wed 29-Mar-17 22:17:34

Please make sure you see a dentist that is up to date with latest treatments. It may cost more to see a private one, but get a recommendation and see what they say. Will save pain in the long run. Have been through this with young relative. Could have ended up with dentures if weren't for amazing dentist. Good luck.

Claudiaclaws Wed 29-Mar-17 23:09:30

Thinking of you. I do hope you will be feeling better soon. x

clementine Fri 31-Mar-17 09:13:08

Hopehope another here, who has suffered with horrendous teeth problems over the years. I have a partial denture on the top with three teeth on it, have had it for over 40 years, well not this exact one , its been upgraded ! I don't have any bother with it at all but its just the taking it out and in that I hate, and am considering a bridge. My gums aren't good enough to support implants , though I have been having intensive treatment for them and they are much better.

I do hope by now the antibiotics will have started working. Co Codomol is excellent combined with Ibroprofen as already mentioned. Take them alternately, up to the maximum per day and you should get some relief.

Hope you start to see an improvement soon.

Yorkshiregel Fri 31-Mar-17 09:52:29

Old cars are worth a fortune now Hopehope! :-)

Hope you are feeling much better by now?