Gransnet forums

Chat

Face Make up?

(19 Posts)
kgnw28225 Sun 09-Apr-17 13:03:49

I have used Rimmel light shimmer tan face make up for years now. But where it looked like a healthy ' Glow ' when I was younger I know that I need to change to a something less striking, Has anyone else come o this conclusion and perhaps found a foundation which is a little more subtle?

HildaW Sun 09-Apr-17 15:03:02

I too have abandoned full war paint but do need a little something now and again. I was so rusty at getting the right shade I asked the lady in Boots to check my colours. She put me on to a nice light textured No7 product that is mid way between a foundation and a moisturiser- am very pleased with it.

seacliff Sun 09-Apr-17 17:39:28

I use clarins fake tan on my face, about every 6 weeks. I use it very sparingly, on my cheeks, and a touch on chin and forehead. It just gives a hint of a healthy glow, and looks natural, and I don't feel "clogged up" with make up. I also usually add a touch of concealer and powder on my nose.

Ana Sun 09-Apr-17 17:52:31

Every 6 weeks? Your face must have quite a lot of natural colour if you think Clarins fake tan lasts that long! I do occasionally use it, but it fades to nothing after a couple of days.

At the moment I'm using Maybelline Dream flawless nude, but you can only get it online now. I was finding Boots and Max Factor foundations too intense.

Nannarose Sun 09-Apr-17 19:30:30

I use tinted moisturiser, which I think works very well. Most cosmetic companies do this.

bartonlady Sun 09-Apr-17 20:07:34

i use a CC type foundation which gives a reasonable coverage but not a ' made up' look! Olay make a good one.

J52 Sun 09-Apr-17 20:14:29

I hate anything too heavy on my skin, but found that in the winter I wanted a more even tone. So I've taken to mixing two products in my palm and applying with a make up sponge.
One product is tinted moisturiser and the other is a light cover foundation.

Deedaa Sun 09-Apr-17 20:18:31

I use Aldi's BB cream which seems to work well. I use a slightly darker shade in the summer.

rubysong Sun 09-Apr-17 23:11:59

I don't get on very well with liquid foundation. I think i try and rub it in too much. I do like mineral powder make up (from the ding dong lady). It is easy to put on and lasts well. I just wish they would do a lighter shade.

Hopehope Sun 09-Apr-17 23:43:46

I think , for me a brown paper bag over my head would work wonders smile

PRINTMISS Mon 10-Apr-17 08:28:05

I am a bit lazy, never used make up on a daily basis, used eye-shadow and mascara occasionally, and lippy when I remember. Think I might make a mess of applying anything other than that.

TerriBull Mon 10-Apr-17 09:08:21

I dropped foundation a while back after reading an article with Michael Caine's wife, Shakira, who said that after a certain age it just emphasises the creases. Of course she's got a wonderful skin tone, but I think she may have a point. I just moisturise. I'm into eyebrow products these days, what I'd give for the perfectly arched eyebrow envy when I've done those, a bit of primer on my eyelids because I have slightly uneven skin tone there, mascara and lipgloss/lipstick that's it, only takes about 5 mins, not too long out of a day.

Bellasnana Mon 10-Apr-17 09:10:35

Hopehope grin

I gave up wearing foundation as it just seems to emphasize my wrinkles too much. I use Olay moisturizer 'touch of sunshine' which gives a bit of colour, but only Polyfilla and a trowel would make my face look smooth.

Bellasnana Mon 10-Apr-17 09:12:00

Crossed posts, Terri, but I agree with Shakira grin

f77ms Mon 10-Apr-17 09:27:45

I use a spray face tan in summer , sprayed lightly it gives me a healthy look . L`oreal do a good one for fair skin . I do use foundation , would not be seen dead outside without it ! currently it is a Clinique foundation and concealer in one but I mix it with a bit of moisturiser so it is not too heavy . A touch of bronzer , eye shadow, mascara and always lippy or I look ill and washed out . I am a redhead naturally , (going a bit grey now) with a VERY fair skin so I need all the help I can get . I haven't noticed that foundation emphasises wrinkles , it just makes me look a bit healthier .

shysal Mon 10-Apr-17 09:40:34

Interesting! I thought it was just me who has dropped the foundation. I just moisturise with Dove cream and apply a dusting of Avon's Translucent powder, in tan shade for summer. If I want a bit of coverage a BB cream mixed with a bit of moisturiser does the trick. I always do my eyes and brows though.

annodomini Mon 10-Apr-17 10:47:44

I have some sun damage patches and use Max Factor Facefinity which is concealer, primer and foundation all in one and it seems to work. But I wouldn't be without a touch of blusher as I'm naturally pallid.

Eloethan Mon 10-Apr-17 12:51:28

Every time I find a tinted cream that I like, it gets discontinued. This includes Lancome and Clarins, both of which companies stopped making the particular product I liked. Now I'm using Nuxe Moisturing Tinted Cream which is brilliant but, guess what, it's been discontinued too.

I think a light moisturiser is essential for evening out skin tone. I also think it is better to use a slightly lighter colour, to concentrate the foundation in the centre of the face and not take it down to the jaw line - and to lightly apply cream blush so that the finished effect is not "flat".

Anya Mon 10-Apr-17 12:55:17

Yes, tinted moisturisers are all I usually wear these days. Mine also has a serum in it.