Gransnet forums

Chat

Center Parcs - cooking & catering questions

(30 Posts)
Grannyknot Sun 09-Apr-17 19:41:10

Hi everyone, I'm off to Center Parcs Longleat in June with my son, DIL and 3 year old grandson. We've never been before so where else to look for inside info then on GN? I know I can read the website, but I'm hoping to hear from the horse's mouth so to speak smile

Is it worth ordering the grocery starter pack? I understand that it's convenient, but I just wondered whether it's a bit of a rip-off (I've already noticed that they charge extra for every little thing!)

Are the kitchenettes well equipped or is it a good idea to take own bits of kit? I've been in rented holiday accommodation where the kitchen stuff has been appalling - Teflon pans where the coating is scratched and peeling, blunt knives and so on. We're not planning to do a lot of cooking but it would still be nice to know what to expect.

Pittcity Sun 09-Apr-17 20:15:02

I'd say no to the grocery pack unless you are pushed for packing space. We take stuff from home or do a basic supermarket shop on the way. The on site shop and grocery pack is expensive.
There are several supermarkets a short drive away for topping up. Use the money you save to treat yourself.
We haven't been for a while so can't vouch for the kitchen equipment.

grandma60 Sun 09-Apr-17 20:27:17

I agree. Don't get the grocery pack. Everything is very expensive. The kitchen was quite well equipped though and very clean although we mostly had barbecues. Eating out on site is expensive as well.

suzied Sun 09-Apr-17 20:27:51

Last time we were there I think it was very well equipped. My OH always takes a couple of sharp knives though! I wouldn't bother with their pack- just take your own stuff. They have a little supermarket there with the basics and nice bakery if you forget anything. Book a session at the spa! Have fun ?

Nandalot Sun 09-Apr-17 20:34:20

Agree with everything said here. On site shops expensive. We always take a sharp knife when we go self-catering as they always seem to be blunt. Take enough dishwasher tablets for the time you are there. They do provide the minimum of cleaning products so extra wipes, j cloths etc.

TerriBull Sun 09-Apr-17 21:03:00

Hope you have a great time Grannyknot, I love Centerparcs haven't been for a few years now, but great for families,of all generations. I'd never have the starter pack you'll be paying over the odds, we'd generally pack all our essentials to take with us. Parkmarket on site, okish for bread, milk, fruit etc. slightly limited. We tended to go off site for a decent supermarket, I think I remember going to Sainsburys not too far away a couple of times to get a better selection, but of course you don't want to waste too much time on the mundane task of shopping. I thought the kitchen was fairly well equipped, and I think they up date their pans etc when they become too worn. I'd probably take my coffee pod machine if I was going any time soon. I have been to several of them, but I love the Longleat one the best, I remember the wonder of seeing badgers gather round our patio at night, also there were quite a few feral cats, not the lions, they live next door grin domestic ones and their kittens. We put out scraps of meat for them, which only encouraged them back, but I'm sure others did the same. Be sure to go down the rapids great fun smile

Grannyknot Sun 09-Apr-17 21:49:36

Thanks everyone!

Wow, I'd be so happy if we saw badgers, I wasn't expecting wildlife st the door! smile

Grannyknot Sun 09-Apr-17 21:58:53

I'm really pleased I asked these questions, because I had this weird idea that once we were in there, they may not let us leave to go and shop elsewhere! grin captive market and all that.

TerriBull Sun 09-Apr-17 22:11:56

Grannyknot, yes you can escape, I didn't see anyone being chased by a big ball uttering "I'm not a number" grin Although once you've unloaded all cars must be left in the central car park, shortish walk, until your departure day, then you bring it on the site again to load up.

Greyduster Mon 10-Apr-17 07:53:26

Our GS was three last time we went to Centerparcs, but the one at Sherwood Forest, and there was lots for us all to do. We had a great week and the swimming facilities were fantastic. I remember the chalet being clean and the kitchen was well equipped, but there are always things I never go on a self catering holiday without taking from my own kitchen. We did a supermarket shop before we went but bought things like milk, some vegetables and bread onsite, but the onsite shop was quite expensive. If we went again the only downside for me now would be all the cycling we had to do to get around the place! I was certainly fitter when we came home, but that was seven years ago! You'll have a great time, grannyknot!

kittylester Mon 10-Apr-17 07:56:53

It's ages since we went to center parts but we found we had to book for meals in the evening and they were fairly expensive. I think that Longleat is the very hilly one but I could be misremembering!

Welshwife Mon 10-Apr-17 09:00:39

Not been to Centre Parcs but when we did a similar thing with DD and family we did a shop in Marks for meals we could just pop in the oven and needed minimum equipment etc. Ours was the Butlin's when it it was newly refurbished. They have eating outlets but found having easy stuff in the chalet to cook was a great boon.

shysal Mon 10-Apr-17 09:20:38

I agree with all that has been said. I haven't been for a few years but always took some home-made dishes ready to bake, and a cake.
To the list of wildlife I would add Roedeer. They used to settle down for a rest just under the bedroom window. I took peanuts to feed them and the bagders. They advise against giving bread to the ducks though.
Have a great time and be prepared for lots of walking or cycling! The Longleat site in particular covers a large area.

shysal Mon 10-Apr-17 09:23:38

Yes, Kitty, Longleat is hilly and has the steep zig-zag walk.

Welshwife Mon 10-Apr-17 09:25:06

Can you still get the bus ride around Longleat?

TerriBull Mon 10-Apr-17 11:54:13

Longleat is hilly and yes Welshwife, the last time I was there, maybe five years ago, you could still get the bus around the site, which is good for the outlying accommodation on the edge a bit of a walk from the main two centres of activity.

varian Mon 10-Apr-17 12:04:36

Our family all enjoyed our stay at Longleat Centre Parcs and just took our normal food from our local supermarket, no problem as you take your car to the door on arrival. The cooking facilities were fine.

The only downside was the fact that almost all of us suffered tick bites as there are ticks living on the deer and other creatures in the woodland. The onsite nurse was able to treat them. It is best to wear long sleeved tops, long trousers, socks and shoes and bring insect repellant.

TerriBull Mon 10-Apr-17 12:11:11

I agree varian, can't be too careful, ticks living on deer can carry Lyme's Disease, which sounds awful. I think there were a few information posters up about that when I went last, or maybe I'm confusing it with somewhere else. I remember seeing deer there.

Kateykrunch Mon 10-Apr-17 12:47:02

When we last went to Centre Parcs, our little Granddaughter said "ooooo look a mummy swan with its MAGNETS" arrr, so cute.

Grannyknot Mon 10-Apr-17 19:46:25

smile katey

Thanks everyone. I'll do some pre-cooking and plan easy meals.

varian Mon 10-Apr-17 20:40:22

You are right terribull one of our family did get lymes disease but fortunately it did respond to treatment. If you do get a tick bite seek early advise and ask for the appropriate antibiotic.

Grannyknot Mon 10-Apr-17 21:49:40

I've had what we used to call Tick Bite Fever. I was pretty ill! So will be careful.

Caretaker Mon 10-Apr-17 21:51:53

We go to CentaParcs 2/3 times a year and love it, we take the basic food with us and eat out in one of the on site restaurants it's expensive but a good place to chill out. We are booked for week in June. I hope you enjoy it I'm sure you will.

hellymart Wed 12-Apr-17 22:25:37

We've been to Longleat CP for the last 3 years and it's great! Kitchens are well-equipped, you shouldn't need to take anything extra, agree with others that it's best to take your own food although we ate out at the carvery on Sunday in the Grand Cafe, which was great, very relaxed and family-orientated, with a playground for the children just outside and visible through the windows. But you will need to book in advance (I'd advise booking ALL activities that you want to do in advance). Longleat IS the hilly one. There is a little train that you can catch if your villa is way out of the centre. We pay extra now to have villas nearer the centre so we don't have the hassle of the bus, as it can be a bit of a nuisance having to wait for it. If everyone in your group is able to, I'd advise taking or hiring bikes, as they're the best way to get around - good fun, too. You shouldn't need to spend a fortune while you're there. The pool is great (and free but try to choose a time when it's likely to be less busy - eg: early evenings), if you can, there's lots of wildlife to see/feed too. Have fun, I'm sure you will!

Grannyknot Thu 13-Apr-17 07:16:33

Thanks helly. I was put off hiring bicycles, but now perhaps we will. We are in a Woodland Lodge in the Middle Area, midweek.

I'm so pleased I started this thread! Good ol' Gransnet.