Gransnet forums

Chat

Simple microwave recommendations

(10 Posts)
notnecessarilywiser Thu 20-Apr-17 11:40:01

All modern appliances these days seem to have multiple functions, buttons and modes! I'm looking for a microwave with minimal functionality to help an elderly neighbour who's no longer able to safely cook in her oven. She hasn't had a microwave before, so the simpler the better. TIA for any recommendations you may have.

jollyg Thu 20-Apr-17 11:51:29

Cant reccomend a make, but defo go for one that has a digital display to input times.

The ones with a time dial can be so wrong to see, a correct time and liable to overcook, cause fire!

JackyB Thu 20-Apr-17 12:20:36

There was a thread recently with exactly the same question. I'm sure someone will find it for us.

I thought you were looking for simple recipes. They are mentioned on that thread too. Mine would be:

brewporridge
brewscrambled egg
brewheating milk up in a cup for cocoa
brewOr half milk-half water for coffee (tastes great that way!)

ninathenana Thu 20-Apr-17 14:35:02

Aldi have microwaves featured at the moment.
We've always found their appliances reliable and great value.

LadyGracie Thu 20-Apr-17 14:53:58

I bought a cheap Daewoo microwave a couple of years ago, very simple and easy to use, no fancy programming.

notnecessarilywiser Thu 20-Apr-17 19:01:16

Marvellous suggestions there, everyone - thank you. I hadn't considered the disadvantage of the dial timer, jollyg - a very good point!

harrigran Thu 20-Apr-17 19:16:36

Panasonic, never let you down.

jollyg Fri 21-Apr-17 15:39:13

Having looked at the replies, and being a panasonic fan.

I see Panasonic NN-ST479-SBPQ Standard Microwave being a good buy, not too costly, and got good simple bells and whistles.

Elegran Fri 21-Apr-17 16:03:59

One of the simplest microwave recipes I know is for steamed fish - you just put a fish fillet into a microwaveable dish wish 2 tablespoons of water (or milk or lemon juice) and a little salt if you wish, and give it 2 minutes on high. By the time you have a plate and knife and fork ready and have buttered a slice of bread, it is ready.

Frozen mashed potato is another quick and easy thing - enough for one serving of the little chunks of frozen mash in a bowl with a little milk or butter, a couple of minutes on high, and you have very nice mash.

Hilltopgran Fri 21-Apr-17 16:13:04

There are dangers with microwaves, my mother would set the time wrong snd cook everything to cinders. As she became unsafe with a cooker, she did not really cope with a microwave. We did put coloured stickers on the settings which helped, but as her short term memory was poor it was not a success.

Have you considered getting hot meals delivered a number of firms offer this, and some local cafes and pubs also offer this type of service in rural areas. Depends where you live but I quite often meet people who can no longer cook so go out to somewhere local for a hot lunch regularly then manage with hob meals in between.

Not an easy problem to solve, hope you find a solution.