Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it just me? ---

(54 Posts)
chicken Tue 25-Apr-17 16:45:46

-- or do other people tell shops when they find out of date food? I went shopping this morning. In Lidl's I picked up a dog-chub and found it was a bag of squishy sludge, gone rotten after having been punctured. Then in Waitrose I found several cartons of milk well past their sell-by date. In both cases I quietly told a member of staff---and in both cases the response was just a dismissive shrug! I thought I might have been saving them from a reprimand or worse if they had a spot check from food inspectors, and surely it wouldn't have hurt them to say "Thank you for telling us". I don't think I'll bother in future, just let them face the consequences. What do you think?

SallyDapp Thu 27-Apr-17 08:18:23

I 'fresh' shop at M&S because I like to see my fruit first, their dates are pretty close to the line but if you do spot out of date stock they say thank you and immediately remove it. They are happy to look for things in the stock room if you specifically want something with a longer date as well.
But I shop online with Ocado for all other stuff, I'm always happy with the sell by dates they deliver, they always have plenty of time remaining on them and they are listed on the receipt in use by order.
As for feeding foxes, don't do it, my BPs did until they realised the foxes were flea ridden, which infested the shed and consequently the house. They were mortified when so called friends of theirs stopped visiting having been bitten.

nancan Thu 27-Apr-17 16:42:21

I often wish I was a 'secret shopper'. shock. I have found so many obviously rotting fruit and veg whilst out shopping. Surely the prices they charge nowadays must warrant a person to check over the produce. If they can have someone overseeing the toilets and marking it on a chart why not goods they are trying to sell?

DS64till Sun 30-Apr-17 14:41:44

I had to point out mouldy strawberries in Asda recently. They were in the right position and highly visible. There was also a member of staff stocking up and although I'm sure they would have been spotted, they were well on their way Yuk!!!