Gransnet forums

Chat

timetravel

(52 Posts)
paddyann Sat 29-Apr-17 11:42:16

at three am this morning my husband and I were discussing whether,if it was possible to go back in time or go forward and see the future which would we choose. You cant change whats happened in the past but you would be able to view it differently. I'm a definite go forward I'm not nostalgic at all for whats happened but I would love to see how life has moved on in 50 or 100 years when I'll be long gone .Tell me your choice and why you made it

Humbertbear Sat 29-Apr-17 16:37:30

I was once at a lecture by Brian Green a well known American physicist (string theory) and he said it is possible to travel forward but not possible to come back again.

hildajenniJ Sat 29-Apr-17 17:57:45

I'd love to go back in time. I'd go to the seventeenth century or thereabouts. I'd go in the summer time, just to see all the wildflower meadows, butterflies, and wildlife in general. I read a young girl's account of seeing clouds of butterflies in the fields. It must have been wonderful.

Katek Sat 29-Apr-17 18:21:24

Apart from the smell of the people hilda!

Faye Sun 30-Apr-17 05:01:22

I love the thought of timetravel and have often thought how nice it would be to go back, find me and tell myself a few things to not do. Or go back a hundred years just for a look. I haven't thought much of going forward in time and might not want to see what is in store for our descendants.

travelsafar Sun 30-Apr-17 08:25:58

I would prefer to go back i think, but only knowing what i know now. It would be wonderful to see my parents again and aunts and uncles who i loved very much.

I would not make the same choices i did in my life and would work so much harder at school if i had the opportunity, as on reflection it was the best time in my life but i didnt realise it!!

radicalnan Sun 30-Apr-17 09:02:51

Going back in time would mean I was a genius, being able to read, write, calculate, diagnose illness, impose hygeine etc..in the future I may well be a dunce as every time the phone is upgraded I feel the strain.

I would love to see a pre industrial world.

Teetime Sun 30-Apr-17 09:09:50

I'd like to go back and start Grammar School again and realise what a great opportunity it was and make the most of it not waste it like I did. sad I beat myself up every day for the silly person I was.

Struggling2do1 Sun 30-Apr-17 09:14:36

I am more interested in why you and your DH were up at 3am! There must be a story there blush

BlueBelle Sun 30-Apr-17 09:22:10

Oh back definitely and put right all my wrongs make better decisions, handle things with the knowledge of life AND be with my mum dad and grandparents again.... if only ....I have no excitement about the future it seems to get worse every year

youngagain Sun 30-Apr-17 09:31:29

There was an advert some time ago where some mature ladies were discussing their past and one of them said 'I would love to have had more grass stains!' There are so many things I would have done differently but I am not sure about looking into the future - I would be afraid of what I would see knowing what the world is like today.

ajanela Sun 30-Apr-17 09:32:45

Teetime, never too late to learn and at least now you can study things that interest you not what they tell you. I can't say I use much of the maths I learnt and enjoyed. I was useless at English ? dyslexic, but now with the help of spell check I write my clubs newsletter.

Maybe by going back many gransnetters who share their problems with us could review their and others actions that lead to disputes in their families and see things differently or react differently. They always say it is easy with hindsight.

Tessa101 Sun 30-Apr-17 09:42:17

Both really.....
I would love to see my beloved parents as there were as children.
But forward as well to see my lovely 3 GDS
and how there life's pan out.

grandMattie Sun 30-Apr-17 09:47:58

Neither. I would be too worried about the future, and too ashamed about my past. Further back, perhaps, but not for me!

paddyann Sun 30-Apr-17 09:48:23

struggling2do1 nothing exciting ,we never go to bed before 2 even on a school night ...and we talk about the strangest things even after 42 years of marriage ,we never run out of things to say .

quizqueen Sun 30-Apr-17 09:48:25

I would go back in time and expose Edward Heath for the liar he was and encourage the government NOT to join the Common Market!

On a personal note, I 'd love to see my parents and grandmother again and tell them about the future grandchildren they didn't see and also spend time with pets I've lost.

gillybob Sun 30-Apr-17 09:52:36

I used to say I would love to go back to the time where things went wrong for me, after getting pregnant with my waste of space boyfriend at only 17. Having the opportunity to try and put things right. But then when I thought about it more, if I were to change my past I wouldn't have had my son and my amazing grandchildren. So for that reason alone I think I will stay very much in the present . Definitely wouldn't want to see the future. I have never had a lot of luck so wouldn't want to see where/how it all ends for me .

Kacee Sun 30-Apr-17 09:55:08

I would go back and knowing what I know now I would definatly do things differently.

vickya Sun 30-Apr-17 09:55:49

There are two tv series about time travel. Timeless where they can go back and change things, but of course each small change can have a huge effect into the future. you never know how preventing one person doing one thing might change lives, prevent people being born..etc. The heroine comes back after the first trip to find her sister wasn't born, her mother is not an invalid. She was actually not changing family things but something nationally important. You were unable to go back to talk to yourself in this story line.

The other series, Frequency, was not quite time travel but a policewoman who was suddenly able to talk in CB radio to her father, also a policeman, who died when she was eleven. There are cases where the wrong person was convicted and a serial killer was never caught, so killings go on. She is able to give her father information that she can get because of improved police technology. Again this changes her present.

Would you want to go back and change something risking the things that might also change? We've just talked about it after I read this and I said a point at which I might not do something, and was reminded we'd not have had the loving and wonderful dog we found and had for nine years if we'd not gone to Spain for two years smile.

We got her at two days old and bottle-fed her, day and night, every two hours and she grew up thinking she was a little girl. She actually was a little girl in a dog suit. She understood so much language. She died 3 months ago and we're still mourning her, which is why I couldn't not want to have done that bit of the past.

hulahoop Sun 30-Apr-17 10:05:56

I think I would like to go forward but a bit of a coward and would e very upset if world was bad for my GC so don't know if it's a good idea

Gassafepaul Sun 30-Apr-17 10:09:40

I once saw a cloud of butterflies come off the sea at cowden Mr hornsea. There was so many of them and it went on for so long .never seen it before or since. It was very beautiful. Paul

minxie Sun 30-Apr-17 10:10:22

I would love to go back and spend a day with my boys when they where small. A Disney duvet day with horrid weather outside. So we could have cuddles and I could smell their hair. Can anyone arrange that please!!!!

Teetime Sun 30-Apr-17 10:13:44

ajanela Oh I did the learning later and the qualifications and degrees but have never shaken off the opportunities I missed and the very wrong roads I travelled down. I was a twit!!!

annifrance Sun 30-Apr-17 10:16:36

I would love to experience Paris, St Petersburg and India from about 1890 to around 1949. Such an interesting and world changing period.

Or
5 years ago and be able to stop my very special dog Hugo from being killed. I want to turn the clock back to then every day, still devastated by it. Lots of sympathy, empathy and hugs vickya.

joannewton46 Sun 30-Apr-17 10:19:43

I have no problem with you being up at 3am - that's our normal going-to-bed time, even a bit early.
As a historian/archaeologist I would love to be a fly-on-the-wall at several times in the past to see what it was really like. I do think about going back to say 1800 as I love the fashions then. Of course they were for the gentry and middle class and I doubt I would have been either. I suspect living conditions then would NOT appeal.
I definitely don't want to go forward to see what a mess we've made of the world. I'd feel so guilty at what we're leaving to future generations, I probably commit suicide. No, definitely live in the present.