Gransnet forums

Chat

Beauty product hype.

(56 Posts)
lizzypopbottle Mon 01-May-17 16:57:55

I've decided to be daring lately and to start using up all the many creams and lotions on my shelves on the part of me they're not marketed for. In my own defence, much of my vast stock has been received as gifts. I've been using Neutogena body lotion (with elasti-boost!) on my face, including around my eyes, for a while with no ill effects and today, on my face, with a certain amount of trepidation I used Dr Organic Leg and Vein Cream (with royal jelly) which promises my legs will be 'visibly more radiant'. I haven't noticed any increased radiance but my complexion hasn't been adversely affected so far either. Once all the many litres of cream are finally used up (which may take years because C.......s is coming and the gift sets will arrive), I'll be using supermarket stuff unless any gransnetters can persuade me otherwise.

So, over to you. What do you think? Is skin just skin?

Cherrytree59 Mon 01-May-17 19:35:17

After an OP on my neck, I used bio oil on the scar which seems to have helped the overall appearance
I have since had an OP on my ankle and I also have used the bio oil on that scar.
On a return visit to the consultant a nurse told me that she had similar operation on her neck and had found that a cheap version of bio oil from BM was just as good.
I gave it a try and she was right!

I now use the cheaper oil on my scars and also around my eyes .
And over the '11' type lines on my forehead between my eyes
This on my part may be just wishful thinking. smile

petra Mon 01-May-17 20:06:18

cherrytree59
Lots of my daughters friends have their 11s botoxed. They look really good, I wish I wasn't such a wimp with needles, I'd have it done.

Ana Mon 01-May-17 20:10:16

Perhaps start dropping hints that you'd rather not receive such products in future, lizzypopbottle? Unless you like experimenting...

Deedaa Mon 01-May-17 20:22:28

I read a book by an American who runs a successful beauty business (can't remember her name) and het main message was that skin is skin and you can use most products on most parts of your body

lizzypopbottle Mon 01-May-17 21:35:42

I was coming to that conclusion Deedaa.
There's a new product I read about that's recommended for scars but the article said it's good for all sorts of moisturizing applications especially for allergy prone skin. It was developed by the NHS specifically for scars. It's called My Trusty Sunflower Cream. It's available on Amazon scented or undocumented. My daughter's trying for her stretch marks.

Auntieflo Mon 01-May-17 21:36:38

Does it matter if you use a night cream in the morning, and vice versa. Can they tell the time? Just more hype I suspect.

lizzypopbottle Mon 01-May-17 21:36:42

Unscented rather than undocumented...

rosesarered Mon 01-May-17 21:37:51

Ah, but are you brave enogh to use haemorrhoid cream on your face wrinkles? Apparently it makes wrinkles go away, or lessens the look!

Pagzy Mon 01-May-17 21:49:40

Auntieflo Most day creams contain sunscreen but night creams don't need sunscreen. So in this case a good reason to have different creams for night and day.

lizzypopbottle Mon 01-May-17 21:57:05

I'd give haemorrhoid cream a go as a night cream roses especially if I had a cold. It's quite pungent (I've heard tell ?)and might help a stuffy nose. I sleep alone so it wouldn't be a problem. I might read up about that in case I get any wrinkles... ?

Kittye Tue 02-May-17 10:13:08

Pagzy may as well use the "day cream" both day and night then, no need for special "night cream". ?

JackyB Tue 02-May-17 11:51:24

Night cream is definitely richer. On Sunday mornings, I have a bath and put extra cream on everything, using the richer lotions and creams if I have them. After removing the face mask, I put night cream on, but if I rub my face during the day, it produces little sausages of stuff. This doesn't happen with day cream.

But generally, I have come to the conclusion, too, that I can wipe the foot cream left on my hands over my bottom, or use excess hand cream on my knees and elbows. Better than wiping it off on to a tissue, only to be thrown away, or using it up so slowly it goes rancid.

jevive73 Tue 02-May-17 13:52:12

A couple of years ago I tried Avon anti ageing cream on my face only. My face went very red and then the redness travelled down my neck. Then at Christmas out of the blue I have permanent red skin on one sidd of my face with a small blotch on the other. Doctor gave me some moisture stuff, then steroid cream, but it is no better. At a loss what to try next. Also need some new foundation but dont know what to buy??

M0nica Tue 02-May-17 20:34:54

The only thing that stops me using the cheapest stuff available is skin allergies. I think it is the regularity with which you nurture your skin rather than price/ingredients of the product that makes the difference.

Jalima1108 Tue 02-May-17 20:39:52

Auntieflo I think some day creams have a SPF factor in them whereas night creams don't.

Apart from that - I don't know.

That much-hyped Boots serum cream had the same effect on me jevive73 but the redness and bumps did subside eventually.
I used Avene moisturiser until the redness went and now Clarins.

Jalima1108 Tue 02-May-17 20:41:09

I used a lot of Vicks on my neck and chest when I couldn't get rid of congestion - still congested but the skin on my neck and face seems quite moisturised!

Jalima1108 Tue 02-May-17 20:41:38

sorry, neck and chest
I didn't use it on my face except around my nostrils!!

valeriej43 Fri 05-May-17 00:21:46

I uses Aldi Caviar day and night cream, its lovely your skin actually feels tighter, also sometimes buy indeed retinol cream from Boots, just read tonight about Dragons blood serum on mumsnet, its called nip+fab, people are raving about it, its very hydrating apparently, so looked on ebay and its cheaper in general, so going to try it
For foundation i use No7 makeup, love it, its very light but covering, cant always tell you have makeup on, but skin looks lovely, im 74 and people are always commenting on how nice my skin looks
The only real problem i have is smokers lines around my mouth, although i gave up over 2 years ago,
I really recommend Aldis Caviar though, they also have a serum, but prefer the day and night cream, and at £6-99 a jar you cant go wrong,
The retinol from indeed is very smooth and soft feeling, but you can buy that online cheaper from indeed, and collect at Boots
Hope this helps

valeriej43 Fri 05-May-17 00:40:20

Forgot to mention, that i have tried something you might have seen advertised on facebook if you go on it,
Its called a chinup mask, they are offering a trial free, but you pay £4-95, mainly for double chins, which i have not got, but it works on jowls,
You only wear it for 30 minutes, it does work
Also for body butter after a bath or shower i use Body shops cranberry body butter, its quite expensive normally but i get it when on offer and it lasts for months

Willow500 Fri 05-May-17 13:38:47

I also am trying use up all the body lotions and potions I have in stock as well as shower gels - I have tons of the stuff! I have just moved onto a 50+ SPF sunscreen on my face and neck in the hope it lives up to the hype and reduces age spots.

HildaW Fri 05-May-17 16:15:22

I'm a recent convert to the Aldi products for 'mature' skin and mine is quite sensitive to the point of being a bit of an organic fan for years (Neals Yard....nice but it mounts up). So far so good - no reactions or dryness......seems to be gentle and costs a fraction.

GillT57 Fri 05-May-17 17:15:34

I bought a mascara from Aldi a couple of weeks ago on the basis of at £2.99 I could throw it out if it wasn't any good. It is brilliant.

silverlining48 Sat 06-May-17 09:21:55

I use aldi too. Also don't forget that which consumer magazine (oct 2016) )recommend their suncream over and above much more expensive well known names which they tested. I also use aldi mascara and am sorry their lipstick range appears to have been stopped.

radicalnan Sat 06-May-17 09:34:08

Currently I am using being fat to keep the wrinkles at bay!

I love the way products are advertsed by young women who don't have wrinkles and can't have been using that new stuff for any time at all, and we all run off and buy it.........as for warty old Helen Mirren......yuk.

Rosewater (just the cheap ones are fine) is very nice and the bio oil makes you smoother and very shiny, bit like Jack Nicholson in that film.........