Gransnet forums

Chat

Did my ears deceive me?

(41 Posts)
vampirequeen Sun 07-May-17 09:24:52

Ribeye is definitely tastier.

I think the poor girl might have been confused because now in some supermarkets you see lamb steaks and pork steaks too. If, like most young people, she's never used a proper old fashioned butcher then there is no reason that she should know.

gillybob Sun 07-May-17 09:24:33

I can't remember the last time I ate steak of any kind either at home or in a restaurant. I do have minced beef sometimes though (if that counts) wink
I have never had ribeye in my life.

Moving off topic (apologies) my 11 year old granddaughter couldn't believe that I have never tasted Lobster in my life. "Even I've had lobster and I'm only eleven" she said.

kittylester Sun 07-May-17 09:14:11

Ha ha Anya!

I heard story of the knighting of the loin too - I think it was on Countryside.

I think ribeyes are much nicer as they have more fat in them

MawBroon Sun 07-May-17 08:29:16

gringrin

Riverwalk Sun 07-May-17 07:43:45

That's probably a load of bull grin

BlueBelle Sun 07-May-17 07:35:06

i really don't see why it's so shocking to not know specific cuts of meat or which wine has a fruity woody zest it's all pretentious stuff and nonsense anyway
I hope she enjoyed her beefy steak and bless her I hope the man enjoyed her personality

Anya Sun 07-May-17 07:29:07

That's probably a load of bull! But the point I think was that she didn't recognise them as both being beef.

Why am I wasting my Sunday morning discussing some silly girl's lack of knowledge confused

Anya Sun 07-May-17 07:24:56

The 'sir' part it is said was added when someone or other 'knighted' the loin I've been led to believe.

thatbags Sun 07-May-17 07:10:01

One could always ask which the waitress would choose. After all, it depends as much on cooking as anatomical placement when it comes to differences between steaks.

thatbags Sun 07-May-17 07:07:56

"As a none steak eater I do know they are both beef but wouldn't have a clue at the difference between them so I m not far behind her"

Being an occasional steak eater doesn't help, Bluebelle. I don't know the difference either. Nor do I care much. If it's good meat I'll eat it; I'm not fussed about what it's called.

Actually, I might know a bit. Let's have a guess and then I'll go a-googling.
I reckon ribeye has something to do with the ribs so I guess meat under a rib.
Sirloin has something to do with the loin and 'sir' might be a corruption of 'sur' meaning above... so somewhere along the back.

<Googles meat cuts>

Well, whadyaknow, Mumsnet had the best answers. Apparently, "ribeye's tastier and juicier and sirloin has the the edge very very slightly on tenderness" (PogueMahone).

As regards where it is, I reckon my guesses are good enough. In short, I don't really care which bit of animal it's from so long as it's good meat, which both are.

Anya Sun 07-May-17 06:46:20

I'd feel sorry for her making a blunder like that and being held up to ridicule on national TV but for the fact that these people do sign up for 'anything to be on TV' status.

M0nica Sun 07-May-17 06:38:54

So, Bluebelle, neither of us would have ordered steak in the first place smile

Poor girl, probably terrified, had a mind crash and just ordered the only thing on the menu she recognised. I confess, I haven't ever seen the programme.

A lot of people are very self-conscious about eating out.

BlueBelle Sun 07-May-17 05:21:39

As a none steak eater I do know they are both beef but wouldn't have a clue at the difference between them so I m not far behind her

gillybob Sun 07-May-17 00:02:30

I very rarely eat Stewing, Rumps or T-Bones cos they're just tooooooo cute. grin

gillybob Sun 07-May-17 00:00:15

Yes I saw this phoenix grin

I guess maybe she wasn't used to being in a restaurant or eating steak.

Maybe she thought Ribeyes and Sirloins were animals in their own right.

phoenix Sat 06-May-17 23:52:40

Watching a program called First Dates, the waitress asked what the female diner would like, she said she would have steak.

The waitress asked if she would prefer the ribeye or sirloin, the response was "I think I 'll have the beef one"

shock