Gransnet forums

Chat

I enjoy my job but......

(20 Posts)
phoenix Tue 16-May-17 20:04:40

Today has been particularly challenging/ "interesting"/frustrating/exasperating (delete where not applicable, although actually they all are!

If I ever write a book, the chapter covering today would probably have the title of:

"Herding Cats In A Twilight Home For The Bewildered"

grannylyn65 Tue 16-May-17 20:12:34

You know where I live !!!!!!!

Grannyben Tue 16-May-17 20:12:59

Get a good night's sleep phoenix, tomorrow's another day.

phoenix Tue 16-May-17 20:24:29

Thanks ladies! Even "himself" (my boss) admitted it had been an extraordinary day, but said "I'm sure you can sort it".confused

Challenging, but never boring!

kittylester Tue 16-May-17 21:11:45

It sounds as though you are enjoying it, warts and all, and that your sense of humour is intact. What's more you are appreciated! That's brilliant and I'm so chuffed!

phoenix Tue 16-May-17 21:25:36

Thanks kitty can you believe I've been there 2 years in June!

Yes, I do enjoy it, although at times I wonder if the job description should be rewritten!

Bit bold of me posting this, as the person who printed off a previous post and sent it to my boss might be tempted to do it again.......

Charleygirl Tue 16-May-17 21:35:50

I had no idea that you had been there for 2 years- time flies when one is enjoying oneself. Yes, I do remember that GN doing that- nuff said.

Your boss had a dog- is that still part of your lunchtime routine to walk the dog? I do not think that is in the job description.

Let's face it, you would hate each day to be the same boring day.

phoenix Tue 16-May-17 21:53:56

Yes, Charleygirl my boss has 2 dogs, Labradors, one aged 2, one nearly 15!

They don't come to work every day, but when they do I usually take them out out lunchtime. A lovely way to spend a half hour or so, the walk through the woods and around the lake is a pleasure!

ninathenana Tue 16-May-17 22:47:07

2 yrs shock I remember your job hunt

Nelliemoser Tue 16-May-17 23:02:23

Phoenix It does sound as if your work is valued. That is a very good place to be.

phoenix Tue 16-May-17 23:34:20

On the whole, it's pretty good, although the range of my responsibilities can be a bit daunting at times, the key thing for the existing students seems to be tea bags and toilet rolls, heaven help me if we run short of either!

Potential students, well, that is a whole other story..................

stillaliveandkicking Wed 17-May-17 00:14:17

Goodness me. Not sure what you're on about smile)) Are you trying to say you're important but challenged yet don't buy the right toilet roll?

kittylester Wed 17-May-17 06:14:08

No, that's not what she is saying!

Auntieflo Wed 17-May-17 08:58:07

Phoenix, go on enjoying your job, challenges and all. Not having been a GN'r for very long, I do remember the angst ? re your previous job, the anger on your behalf and the joy we all felt when this one presented itself. Your posts are also a joy ? to read.
Never mind the students, you can teach/ instruct/ leave notes, etc, so that they can grow and become mature enough to source their own tea bags/ toilet rolls, when they graduate under your care ?

Elegran Wed 17-May-17 09:07:05

Toilet rolls and teabags are the part that the students see, the tip of the iceberg of your job, phoenix. The other nine-tenths are keeping everything in order so that the boss can concentrate on what he is very good at and the students on what they hope soon to be able to do just as well. I loved the photos of the end products when you first started, though they were way out of my league.

I am so glad to know that after your years in the wilderness you are now somewhere rewarding and appreciated. Keep the stories coming. I still think you should publish them in a blog. Do you put stuff on the official works website?

phoenix Wed 17-May-17 10:45:53

Thanks for the responses!

Yes, I have so far done 2 blogs for the official website, under the title "The View From The Attic" as that's where my office is.

I really must get round to doing another one...........

Auntieflo our youngest current "student" is 19, the oldest is 55!

Elegran Wed 17-May-17 11:04:40

Thank you, phoenix I found the website and blog. what lovely things are made there!

Elegran Wed 17-May-17 11:10:43

One complaint - there is no link into the blog(s) except via the resources tab. Have you considered putting more links on other pages? Many visitors like to read personal entries and follow what is happening.

phoenix Wed 17-May-17 11:30:16

Elegran I have made the same point myself, the website is reviewed frequently, so perhaps one day that aspect might be changed.

Some of the pieces are not to my taste, but the standard of workmanship is always very high.

It is a lovely part of my job to go around the workshop and see the progress made. One particular table (which won awards) I was able to see from start to finish, i.e. the raw timber being delivered, right through to the final polishing.

The student in question was determined to make it from English walnut, and was having trouble sourcing it. One supplier told him "yes, I've got some the right size, but it won't be ready for about 3 years, because we are air drying it"

Crafting Wed 17-May-17 14:58:58

Glad you enjoy your job Phoenix. It's amazing how much stress/frustration etc you can cope with if your working environment is happy and you like the people you work with. Can't believe it is 2 years now ?