Gransnet forums

Chat

How important is alcohol?

(94 Posts)
Jane10 Fri 19-May-17 07:22:54

Just pondering on this after spending an evening with a couple who ,while definitely not alcohol dependent, seem to have their social lives dominated by the availability of alcohol. One example they gave was of having to be driven to the next state each night to get some booze when on a tour.
I like a glass of wine at the weekend but the nicest things I've drunk recently have been non alcoholic ( fresh lime and soda or a wonderful apple, mint and basil crush).
What do others find? I just seem to have gone off alcohol really.

gillybob Fri 19-May-17 11:53:30

Prossecco (is that the correct spelling????) is very much alcoholic annsixty I drank a bottle two glasses of the stuff last Friday during a rare night out with my girl cousins. One of my cousins husbands sent me a photo of a woman stuck in a cat flap with the strap line

BREAKING NEWS

WOMAN STUCK IN CAT FLAP EVEN THOUGH SHE SWEARS SHE ONLY HAD TWO GLASSES OF PROSSECCO ON A COUSINS NIGHT OUT!

annsixty Fri 19-May-17 11:54:42

What day are we talking about
Gemma I must put it on my calendar ?

hazel311259 Fri 19-May-17 12:23:17

Love a glass of wine when cooking

grandMattie Fri 19-May-17 12:27:34

Alcoholic father!!! Addictive family!

I drink, but not a lot. I never drink at lunch time, it makes me feel ill. Even on special occasions I have no more than two or three glasses over the whole event. I have never been off my face, in fact DD called me "power freak" to my consternation.
I appreciate that people enjoy drinking a little more than necessary, that the social boundaries become blurred, but not for me thank!

grandMattie Fri 19-May-17 12:28:00

And I use loads of wine when cooking! So not prissy about it...

kittylester Fri 19-May-17 12:36:38

And me!! wine

Ana Fri 19-May-17 13:00:06

But the alcohol burns off when cooking so you're not actually imbibing any!

merlotgran Fri 19-May-17 13:19:15

I use loads of wine when cooking as well grin

Some of it even goes in the food!

NonnaW Fri 19-May-17 13:20:53

GemmagG, can I join the table please? I was beginning to feel outnumbered because I do like a drink. I aim for 3 alcohol days a week though have been known to succumb. A vodka and tonic, and some wine at weekends but far less than we used to. We don't go out much so a quiet drink at home is something we both enjoy.

suzied Fri 19-May-17 13:28:50

I'm with the drinkers please. A glass or two with the evening meal or out in the garden on a lovely summers evening. Perfect. I do try to have weeknights off, but I often succumb by Wednesday.

Lilylilo Fri 19-May-17 13:35:23

Just the odd g&t or glass of bubbly! My DH tho drinks nearly every evening and admits that he couldn't do without! He just manages one or two evenings off then he succumbs......i can't stop him and i suppose he'll end up drinking himself to death. In the meantime he's great company and a very talented musician still working at 72!

homefarm Fri 19-May-17 14:20:17

I have never been a drinker YUK tastes horrid - I'll go with the lime and sodas.

VIOLETTE Fri 19-May-17 15:05:03

In my young student days I used to drink (Cider, 1/3d a glass ...lasted all nght !

Then working in various places in the City (Lawyers and Accountants) a notice would go up on Friday afternoon as to which watering hole the gathering was to be in after work ...everyone put £5 behind the bar (there were a lot of us and in those days £5 went a long way !!) Normally, despite many attempts to get me blotto , for me nothing worked ,,,,it seemed I was immune to alcohol ! Much to the chagrin of everyone else who was under the table !....all my life, I have drunk so far (70 this year) I have never been drunk ,,,,,,watched many others get drunk and have even had the odd competition with the tequila slammers .....so now, for years I haven't drunk anything other than what I like the taste of ,,Perrier, normally, sometimes with lemon .....and if people dont like it that's there problem....at least they know they always have someone to drive them home !!grin

Jane10 Fri 19-May-17 15:17:47

That's all fine by me. I mean those that like a few drinks and those that don't and all points in between.
The couple I mentioned in the OP (I was virtue signalling and didn't want to appear too damning when I said that they weren't alcohol dependent btw), plan their holidays around the availability of alcohol it seems to me. I think it may be hard to be around them on social occasions although DH likes them and wants to see more of them. I might just have to resign myself to being thought of as a right old misery! Oh well.

paddyann Fri 19-May-17 20:13:23

Well I like a nice brandy and my OH likes whiskey The Irish kind though he collects any whisky thats old or unusual.Nothing wrong with enjoying a few drinks ladies ,its not illegal or criminal as far as I'm aware .I dont drink often because I have a very busy life with work and grandkids and a chronically ill daughter but I do like to kick off my shoes and settle down to relax with a glass of something nice at least once a week

Aslemma Fri 19-May-17 20:29:06

I'm not a big drinker but always have a full wine rack and various spirits in the cupboard. I also keep sliced lemons in the freezer and small cans of coke in the fridge. My kids get on to me for not dtinking anoigh and at one of my recent health checks the nurse asked if I could drink a bit more so she had something to put on her chart. ?

I always have a glass of wine if I go out to lunch or dinner and may even have one when home alone, though the bottle lasts me for days. I can't remember how long I've had the gin and whisky.

Lilyflower Fri 19-May-17 20:44:43

I don't drink alcohol at all from Monday to Thursday and have a couple of glasses of fizz every night at the weekends which is lovely. The new Puritanism scares me. When did people start thinking they could condemn others for what harms nobody?

Legs55 Fri 19-May-17 21:54:43

I will confess to having had an alcohol problem, my late DH was an alcoholic which didn't helpgrin. I rarely drink now as I am on my own & need my driving licence.

I do enjoy a glass of wine with lunch if some-one else is driving. I often have wine in the house for cooking but my preference is rose to drink.

I love a G&T or Vodka & Tonic occasionally.

I have no problem with any-one choosing to drink or not drink, it's a personal choice. I do object to some-one who becomes unpleasant when drinking.

I used to drink a lot of beer, I could match any man drink for drink & still be standinggrin

Chewbacca Fri 19-May-17 22:14:19

I've always been tee total and in my younger days was frequently accused of being miserable; didn't know how to enjoy myself; a party pooper etc. I've even had my lime and lemonade spiked by "friends" who decided that I wouldn't be able to tell and that I would "enjoy myself more". It actually makes me violently sick, not just for the time that I need to get rid of the alcohol but for a couple of days afterwards too. I used to make excuses like, I'm driving or taking medication but now I just say no, and make no excuses at all. I've also changed my circle of friends. I always have alcohol in the house for visiting friends but never touch it myself.

Tizliz Fri 19-May-17 22:29:41

I like the taste if alcohol but hate the effect. So one glass whilst I am cooking/eating dinner. If any one complained about my lack of drinking they would not be friends with me, I do what I want.

123kitty Sat 20-May-17 21:48:44

I enjoyed drinking, one evening after a couple of sips I felt as though I'd downed a whole bottle! After 10 years there's been no improvement in that I just can't drink. I try the odd sip now and then (like I said I enjoyed it) but i feel dreadful. Think drink gave me up :-)

wot Sat 20-May-17 21:52:58

If I drink before eating, it kills my appetite right off!

wot Sat 20-May-17 21:54:56

When I was on Champix to give up smoking, it put me off alcoholic and coffee too. It was as if it switched of enjoyment of anything addictive. Except GN!

henetha Sat 20-May-17 22:52:14

If alcohol was invented today it would be banned. The amount of touble it causes, the crimes committed by drunks, etc. makes it more trouble than it's worth.

wot Sat 20-May-17 23:58:22

I agree.