Gransnet forums

Chat

THAT wedding!

(170 Posts)
MawBroon Sun 21-May-17 08:30:46

Well, what did we think?
Pippa looked beautiful, but how thin is she?
Big sister Kate looked very elegant and competent shushing those little page boys and flower girls. Not stealing the bride's thunder either which was nice. But what WERE those little boys wearing? confused And was little George really giving a 2 fingered salute? Or picking his nose?
Carole looked lovely, clearly pink is the in colour this year, I could wish some of the other guests had got the memo! What a motley crew they were! Including Roger Federer in a lounge suit with a double breasted waistcoat looking as if he had left the rest of his morning dress in the hotel.
Whew, now that's over we can get back to Chelsea Flower Show.
I wonder if the Bucklebury glass "marquee" doubles as a greenhouse? Monty Don, eat your heart out!

Lilyflower Sun 21-May-17 11:26:39

Pippa looked amazing, elegant and very tasteful in her beautiful dress. He hair was simple and flattering and she smiled radiantly. What more can one ask of a (rich) bride. I hope she had a lovely day - and I cannot understand the carpers.

ajanela Sun 21-May-17 11:28:59

Was the boy picking his nose in a way that looked like a V sign also called George?

If Pippa's sister wasn't who she is I doubt if there would be any press there. I wonder if they are selling pictures of the reception to a magazine. These people's business is party planning so I think they would have got some discounts and it had to be the best to represent their business. Lots of,rich people, now queueing up to have their company do their wedding. They most likely have an interest in glass Marques as well or got an enormous discount with all that free advertising.

merlotgran Sun 21-May-17 11:35:07

I for one enjoyed it. The children were lovely and the sun shone at just the right moment. Pippa's dress was beautiful although I agree about her arms. I was really slim when I got married but we didn't choose dresses that revealed our upper arms as it wasn't fashionable at the time.

I definitely preferred it to watching the only other big news story of the day.... the Donald in Saudi Arabia. hmm

glammanana Sun 21-May-17 11:42:38

Master Edward Sebire was the little charmer who had his finger up his nose thus making an unfortunate gesture towards on lookers.

Teddy123 Sun 21-May-17 12:12:18

I've looked at a few photos and thought the bride looked great. Thin yes .... But they aspire to be super slender as it photographs well.
However I thought Carol Middleton stole the show in her stunning yet ladylike coat dress. I'm jealous and I want that pink dress.

Notme Sun 21-May-17 12:14:10

I think the little boy had been counting something on his fingers. Not picking his nose or flicking a V sign!

merlotgran Sun 21-May-17 12:21:49

I think this is the photo that shows he's a little scamp bit of a handful.

sunseeker Sun 21-May-17 12:25:31

I wish this couple well but hope now they will be left in peace. We have had days of photographs and articles and quite frankly I just don't want to know. I hope we will not be "treated" to pictures of their honeymoon resort or whatever or "candid" pictures of the two of them on a beach or yacht. It was a lot of money to spend, but it was theirs to spend.

David1968 Sun 21-May-17 12:28:32

Didn't watch any of it. Don't care!

gagsy Sun 21-May-17 12:34:58

Good luck to them. I wish them well. Unbelievably I was that thin when I got married!!

downsized Sun 21-May-17 13:24:30

Well, what a lot of mean-spirited comments on here. How is it ok to criticize anyone for being 'too thin' (in whose opinion?) I can just imagine the hoo-hah that would ensue if anyone commented on somebody being 'too fat'.

As for the 'I'm not interested/can't stand them' brigade, why did you comment in that case? You were clearly interested enough to stick your twopence-worth in.

Still, I'm sure none of the wedding party could care less what anyone thinks. Looks like they had a lovely, fairytale wedding as planned.

moobox Sun 21-May-17 13:31:48

Eugenie looked fantastic and the rest of the guest could have learned from her pared down look. Fashion victims would be an understatement. As for the past, I'm sure Beatrice and Eugenie must hardly dare look at their old photos, especially those ridiculous high Cinderella's ugly sister hats.

Maggiemaybe Sun 21-May-17 13:39:21

Yes, I too was that slim when I got married. I could eat like a horse too. The last statement's still true, the first not so much. grin

I think they're just a naturally slim family.

VIOLETTE Sun 21-May-17 13:56:03

Good luck to them .....both families would appear to come from quite humble beginning ,,,,,except in Michael Middleton's case he has a small inheritance from his father (wouldn't get that now ......it would all be gone in inheritance tax and in future, most of it in paying for care if needed !) and seem to have made the most of themselves by hard work and diligent investments .....so why is it anyone else's business how they spend their money > When I got married the first time (so now for my second husband presumably I am a second hand bit of stuff grin..........) my dress cost 19 guineas ....food for the reception was done by my m-I-l's neighbours and I gave her £10 a week for a while before hand to buy the food ! Scout hut was decorated with balloons and cardboard cut out hearts ....drinks were on sale or return from the local wine merchant and glasses were hired ! We had fun ....most of my friends had very similar weddings ...except one actually had a reception in a hotel !! unheard of back in 1971 unless you had rich parents ! Hope they have a wonderful life together ,,,,smile

gigi1958 Sun 21-May-17 14:25:05

I think it looks like it was a lovely wedding. I can see why she did not invite Prince Harry's girlfriend. Sounds to me like they were trying to keep the guest list in control, making the exception for one who has a live in partner makes sense.

As far as the thin remarks I come from a thin family and none of us are anorexic, it's just genetic.

Cheers to the couple, may they live a happy wondrous life together!

quizqueen Sun 21-May-17 14:28:08

The more money spent on this wedding, the more people in this country were employed. I don't know why people are complaining. I thought she looked very nice and she didn't expose a lot of flesh like some brides (usually overweight ones) seem to. She is slim but very fit and seems naturally healthy. Don't we all wish our daughters could have no money worries when they marry! It is not Pippa's fault that the media feeds people's obsession with celebrity and that there needed to be a police presence. Other than that they have their own money, they can spend it on what they like.

Norah Sun 21-May-17 14:42:13

Pippa's dress was lovely on her slim figure. Better slim in a tasteful dress to fat in revealing.

Legs55 Sun 21-May-17 14:46:09

I didn't see any tv coverage (to busy visiting my DGS2 who was born on Wednesday) but have seen pictures in today's papers. I thought Pippa looked lovely as did Kate & Carole.

I believe Prince Harry's girlfriend was invited to the wedding but decided not to go as press attention would have been unfair on Pippa & James, she did attend evening reception I believe.

As for the description of Meghan as "2nd hand bit of fluff" I wonder how I would be described, divorced twice before a very happy marriageconfused

Lona Sun 21-May-17 15:42:42

Well said downsized
I thought Pippa looked beautiful and radiant, and Catherine looked after her and the children really well.

SueDonim Sun 21-May-17 15:48:53

I quite agree, Downsized. Maybe some things about this wedding weren't what we would choose for ourselves, but so what? And surely every wedding has guests that turn up in an outfit that makes you wonder whether they possess a mirror! It's all part of the fun and joy of celebrating a marriage and makes it memorable. smile

rosesarered Sun 21-May-17 17:05:39

Just saw a few pics of the wedding on tv, it all looked lovely.The bride looked very elegant ( and yes, very thin) but so did the groom.Perhaps only poor people are fat nowadays ( reversing the trend.)
The pillars of pink roses looked great ( I usually observe the flowers at weddings before the couture.)

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 21-May-17 17:15:51

It was all very elegant and I hope that the young couple are happy. However, the last wedding I went to was on a shoestring and it was very enjoyable and not at all 'posh', everyone had a lovely time.
If you're marrying a multi-millionaire it's all right to spend so much I guess. Now, where can I find one?!

BlueBelle Sun 21-May-17 17:45:37

Didn't watch it and I don't have any interest in society or society weddings they pass over my head I d rather see things about real people and these don't really class as very real to me .....but that's my opinion only , each to his own I don't wish them anything only good but I don't want to think about the money spent which I find totally obscene

Janetblogs Sun 21-May-17 17:49:43

All the parents looked radiant - it spread money around to caterers waiting staff etc etc - it gave the media some column inches and social comment - most people love a wedding - don't watch it read it if you don't agree with it but it's their money their prerogative to spend as they wish
Just because you read the Guardian doesn't make you any better than DM or Sun readers

radicalnan Sun 21-May-17 18:16:40

As the Royals were so exacting when it came to Charles marrying Diana, I am amused I suppose, that some well worn women make it into the ranks.........if she does, plenty of time for that to fizzle out. Fergie wasn't much to write home about just poor old Diana had to be a virgin. Why we are bombarded with details of their love lives is beyond me but they make everything seem to special, when actually it is mundane except for their need to impress us.

I am not impressed with Harry or his choice, so I would sooner hear and see none of it. Most papers had extensive coverage today of the wedding when there are far more pressing things to be concerned about.