Gransnet forums

Chat

Public transport

(57 Posts)
GailJ Sun 21-May-17 12:11:04

I had to pop into London last week for the day, to my horror the cost of the ticket was £39.90 return from Royston in Herts.

That's my lunch blown out the water then! I had £40 to spend for the day!

Bearing in mind I'm a 51 year old Spoonie - I was horrified to discover that there were no seats at all to sit on - on my return with people having to stand everywhere!

I was so exhausted having had no lunch and not coping well with crowds that I sat on the floor (I couldn't stand) apparently workers/commuters to London are use to sitting on an over crowded stuffy train (this is how it is)

The experience was horrid - I was forced to close my eyes to cope with it!

I'm so thankful that I don't have to do this journey daily - I really don't think I could cope with it!

The prices, the service, everything about the journey was horrible!

When I was younger I used the trains a lot and loved it - mind you I was travelling off peak then.

Don't even get me started on the Tubes!!!

Does anyone else use public transport like trains and enjoy the experience?

grannypiper Mon 22-May-17 22:15:21

Never ever turn up at the station and buy a ticket, it costs a fortune.Even if you book on line a couple of hours before it is much cheaper

paddyann Mon 22-May-17 23:15:38

you'd be lucky to find a manned station in my area ,we usually buy on the train ,the odd time we use it,and if its the last train and we're only going a couple of stops the ticket seller never takes the money off us

Diddy1 Mon 22-May-17 23:32:27

I use the train regularly, from Manchester Airport to Cumbria, I try to book off peak, three months in advance, I also have a Senior Railcard which gives a good reduction, especually if travelling frequently, I usually get a non reserved seat as the train starts at the Airport, however a few miles down the line in Manchester, the train can fill up easily, leaving no seats and certainly no room for luggage, I love using the train, but I am glad I dont need to get on it half way down the line wouldnt like to stand for a few hours, why dont they put more coaches on these days, they are always needed.Good Luck next time you travel GailJ.

NonnaW Tue 23-May-17 11:27:06

Silver hippy, great to hear that! Nice too hear good things about bus drivers.

We too have a rail card and try to book in advance. Not much use if you have to travel on short notice though!

Nannarose Tue 23-May-17 11:42:33

On a recent trip to London, I was offered a seat twice, both times by young people, although I have no obvious 'disability'. I said 'thank you' and accepted happily.

ExaltedWombat Tue 23-May-17 16:50:38

At the operator's website (in this case www.northernrailway.co.uk)you can still buy an Off-peak Day Return for today for £23.10 - though you won't get much sightseeing in now! This should also have been on offer at the station booking office.

Maybe you left Royston during peak hours? Or maybe you didn't ASK for a cheap day return? I'm afraid they don't always thrust the cheapest option into your face.