Gransnet forums

Chat

C&A

(75 Posts)
nora55 Wed 24-May-17 09:41:53

I remember a while back there was a discussion about shops we miss. For me none more than C&A. Not sure why it popped into my mind this week - perhaps because I was reminiscing about where it used to be in our town and wishing it was still there.

My nan used to say it stood for "coats and 'ats" but my mother insisted it was "cheap and awful"

Anyone know what it really was?

GrandmasueUK Thu 25-May-17 10:33:18

C&A in Lisbon seem to be the only place that larger ladies can buy clothes, apart from online. I've bought a couple of skirts from there when I've been over. They also had a range of Canda clothes - took me years to work out that it stood for C&A. Actually, come to think of it my mum had to tell me!

Maggiemaybe Thu 25-May-17 10:52:58

C & A was a German company, wasn't it? It used to be a good place to go for wedding hats - much cheaper than BHS!

TheMaggiejane1 Thu 25-May-17 10:59:17

Someone once told me it stood for coats and 'ats!

ExaltedWombat Thu 25-May-17 11:08:33

If you don't like rude jokes, carry straight on to the next message!!

The C & A label in a pair of knickers reminded you which way round to put them on.

TriciaF Thu 25-May-17 11:16:49

I only worked out what their trademark CANDA meant recently.

EmilyHarburn Thu 25-May-17 11:21:10

I bought my first coat that was not a school coat in C & A for £5 I loved the shop. Was so sad when it closed down in the UK.

Skweek1 Thu 25-May-17 11:27:59

I liked C&A, but my favourite was Etam - clothes only looked good till you washed them. but were really stylish for one wear! - always bought interview clothes there, but that was in the days when you went to an interview and they asked how soon you could start!

Cagsy Thu 25-May-17 11:50:14

I bought my wedding dress (1st marriage when I was 19) from C & A in Liverpool, think it cost about £20 in 1971. Looking at the photos I still think it looked as good as much more expensive dresses.

Jaycee5 Thu 25-May-17 11:54:10

I bought a C&A trouser suit in the 1970s. It never looked old fashioned but I eventually had to throw it away about 10 years ago because I was in a flat with damp and it went musty.
I used to go to the Oxford Street store all the time.

Deeana1 Thu 25-May-17 11:57:21

Yes as previously said C&A are alive and well in most European cities...there's one in the mall in Torrevieja southern Spain..They still even have clockhouse, but I have to admit most of their clothing for older females are quite dowdy, although the mens' stuff seems to be ok .

I don't remember buying very much in C&A when I was a teen in te 70's ..Chelsea Girl was my go to boutique for fashion clothes. In fact I worked there for a while.

I could never afford Etam.

Same with shoes, I used to envy the girls who could afford Saxone and Dolcis, while I could only afford Curtess, remember them?

mags1234 Thu 25-May-17 11:58:03

A dear male gay friend of mine always said that the c and a label on underwear stood for c-nt and arse! Delete if too rude, but it was so funny coming from him!

HMarie Thu 25-May-17 12:14:28

I still have a coney coat I'm pretty sure I bought at C&A in the 1960s. Can't wear such a thing these days, of course, but there's no doubt that real animal fur is warmer than any man-made material, "thermal" or not.

Worlass Thu 25-May-17 12:18:43

Oh, yes. I managed to save £5, a not insignificant amount in the early '60's, to buy a suit to wear for when I changed out of my wedding dress. Thanks to C & A, I managed to buy a suit and have money left over for shoes and matching handbag. Many years later, whilst living in Spain, I re-discovered C&A in Murcia and Torrevieja.

Caro1954 Thu 25-May-17 12:20:22

We always called it Claude and Albert's! grin

Craftycat Thu 25-May-17 12:39:18

I bought a lot of my clothes from C & A when I was a young teenager. Cheap & cheerful.
Then I went out to work & progressed to Biba.
I also had a Saturday job in C & A when I was at school- oh the horrible job of having to spray air freshener in the communal changing room- it used to really stink in there on a hot Saturday afternoon. I'm sure we had deodorant on the 60s- I seem to remember Mum Rolette. Maybe not many people used it!

wot Thu 25-May-17 12:39:34

I thought it was clever that one of their own ranges was called Canda = C and A !

Ana Thu 25-May-17 12:50:48

Remember 'Man at C&A'? My ex used to buy a lot of his stuff from them, back in the day!

Desdemona Thu 25-May-17 13:03:54

I remember going to C&A with my mum back in the seventies - there was a huge branch in Bristol.

Would it be on a par with how Primark is nowadays?

VIOLETTE Thu 25-May-17 14:08:28

Funily enough I was only n C&A last SAt in Bordeaux ...there are two I Bordeaux ...but sadly there was nothing I liked ,,,,,disappointed now that even their special floor for 'large sizes' only goes up to a 46 ..I did e mail them to complain and they directed me to their online site, which I do often use but of late there has been nothing ! I think you can order online from the German website if you live in the UK ,,,but I like to try things on ! Once bought a trouser suit years ago that cost 19/11d ...it got so many admirers ...never told anyone how much it cost !!

SunnySusie Thu 25-May-17 14:53:38

There was rather a risque joke around when I was at school regarding C & A knickers - you had to wear the C at the front and the A at the back. A was for ass - I dont think I had better say what the C was for!

rosesarered Thu 25-May-17 15:11:35

In the 60's, I saved up for a dress ( shift dress) I was 15 at the time, and went with a friend, bought the dress (£1.00) then we went to the loo.....I left the bag with the dress inside near the sinks! Oh no, dashed back a few mins later and it had gone.
That was in a large C&A. I cried.Not much sympathy from my Mother when I got home either, and yes, it did teach me to be more careful with my belongings.

mancgirl Thu 25-May-17 15:39:19

Another one here in Spain near Denia. Sometimes find tops or t shirts for me but DH can always find something. My mum used to buy some of my clothes there when I was a child. When I got to about 14 much preferred Chelsea Girl and wouldn't admit to an item of clothing from C&A!

Peaseblossom Thu 25-May-17 16:00:47

Mags1234 grin
I didn't know what C and A stood for or what Canda stood for till I read this post!
I grew up in East London and we used to go to the Ilford branch. There also used to be one in Romford which I used to go to when I moved to Romford. I was sorry when they all closed. It was good value, but not always the best quality, but sometimes you could get some really nice stuff in there.

Sheilasue Thu 25-May-17 16:55:33

I loved C&A there was one in lewisham when I worked there for an insurance co.
Would often go there in my lunch hour.

1974cookie Thu 25-May-17 17:39:56

Oh Memories, a wonderful shop.
In 1974, whilst on my Honeymoon in Devon, I bought a fabulous coat in a C&A there. It was faux suede, midi length with a hood, the front was decorated with embroidery, and had a faux fur trim down the front and around the hood. It was gorgeous and I felt so glamorous when I wore it. Happy Days ?.