Gransnet forums

Chat

A very useful word

(17 Posts)
Swanny Sun 28-May-17 09:56:15

Doesn't always work well. I have a very painful arthritic wrist at the moment and DGS landed on it when he threw himself at me recently. I screamed OUCH and he thought it hilarious. He didn't associate the noise I made with the 'event' and kept asking me to 'Say ouch again please grandma', no matter how many times I tried to explain what had happened sad grin

Ana Sat 27-May-17 15:36:35

I don't think some people would even 'get' it. And little children could be easily confused - they don't really understand about hurt feelings and would keep thinking you'd banged your knee on something...

rosesarered Sat 27-May-17 15:26:10

Why not simply tell them you consider their comments rude?
I shouldn't think they would care if you put 'ouch!' In fact they may feel pleased.
Honesty is the best policy.

DanniRae Sat 27-May-17 15:03:08

Brilliant - I will use OUCH from now on when someone says something unkind to me. Thank you!

marionk Sat 27-May-17 14:27:46

I think this is well worth a try

Caro1954 Sat 27-May-17 14:01:10

Thankyou, annsixty, I will definitely try that!

Lona Sat 27-May-17 10:57:45

barbara I can think of several, far more appropriate words for him than "ouch"!

barbaralynne Sat 27-May-17 09:54:29

Oh wow! That really sounds a great non-confrontational way of expressing one's feelings. I so wish I had thought of that 6 months ago. I have volunteered for an organisation for many years and the chairman communicates with the volunteers by email entirely and these are often curt, sarcastic and unpleasant. He told me, when I complained that I wasn't suited to the work and should go elsewhere - Ouch would have been such an appropriate response. Thank you annsixty for that!

Sheilasue Sat 27-May-17 09:40:33

Must remember that. Very interesting I take it is ouch and notOUCH

silverlining48 Sat 27-May-17 09:25:10

I usually internalise hurt feelings which isnt good i know, but will try using this approach in future.

Janetblogs Fri 26-May-17 06:46:31

When I say ouch to my 17 month puppy hr knows to stop immediately

Coolgran65 Thu 25-May-17 23:35:59

Excellent - I've never thought of using it this way.

farview Thu 25-May-17 19:26:55

always use 'ouch'! for hurt feelings etc..gets the message across without sounding sharp...

NanaandGrampy Thu 25-May-17 11:52:49

Great idea ann

gillybob Thu 25-May-17 11:34:44

I totally agree with that annsixty .

I have always found "Ouch" to be very useful when dealing with the DGC. It can mean that you are physically hurt or that your feelings are hurt. Either way very effective.

MawBroon Thu 25-May-17 10:45:09

Good idea!
Maybe GNHQ could come up with an "ouch" emoticon??
My tablet will do ?

annsixty Thu 25-May-17 10:42:56

I have read an article today in which a man whose name I think is Renkle states that the word which will diffuse most arguments is not sorry as we might have thought but "Ouch" which will portray how hurt we are and hopefully the other party will be made to think.