Gransnet forums

Chat

Irrational panic!!!

(112 Posts)
kittylester Sat 27-May-17 14:22:14

Setting the recorder for the Jane Austen programme tonight I spotted that there was less than 50% of recording time left. I then had to delete stuff until there was over 60% left. Why?

And, I also like to have a spare of every thing I use for cooking - Eg tinned tomatoes (I need 4 of them), all herbs, spices, sauces, pickles.

I was born in 1949 so it's nothing to do with war time scarcity. We can walk to the village shop in less than 5 mins.

Please tell me someone else does this.

Oldwoman70 Sat 27-May-17 14:33:52

Oh yes, kittylester - I also buy "extra" when something is on special offer! I currently have 18 kitchen rolls in my cupboard because they were on offer (I usually buy 4 at a time), several bottles of shampoo and conditioner (sold cheaper if bought together). I wonder if is because our mothers went through rationing and we picked it up from them

DanniRae Sat 27-May-17 15:06:07

Me too kitty - I have spare room upstairs fitted out with wooden shelves and all my spares go up there. We call it 'the supermarket'. But I just pride myself on being organised.............!! grin

rosesarered Sat 27-May-17 15:15:44

Me too Kitty in fact, the family came over at 12 for a barbecue here ( just all gone, am feeling tired out!) and I over provided as usual, with the result that some of the family are coming back tomorrow lunchtime to help us eat and drink the other half that's how much there was.grin
The other thing, apart from food stockpiling and over production is I buy far too much kitchen roll, there is a certain cupboard that cannot be opened for fear of rolls of the stuff crowning you if you do.I think it's too late to stop these habits now though.

aggie Sat 27-May-17 15:21:04

Just been through my Sky box deleting too !!. Tomatoes 6 , beans several , soap powder 2 large boxes , bleach 4 .....

grannylyn65 Sat 27-May-17 15:27:17

Same here, and born in same year !!

shysal Sat 27-May-17 16:27:09

Oh, I am so relieved that others do the TV recordings thing, I try to keep mine at around 50% - why???
Do others also keep their car petrol tank at over 50% full? Just in case I have to do an unexpected long drive, which I never have yet!
Last week I made a special journey to buy more loo rolls at the Savers shop (Nicky brand, as recommended by GNetters), because I was down to 10 rolls! I never run out of anything, always having a spare and a spare spare at least.
I only have a small kitchen, so the guest bedroom is my storeroom, no room for guests!
I am like Nigella Lawson, who says she never knowingly undercaters. Just like my mother used to, I send visitors home with a 'Red Cross Parcel'.

ninathenana Sat 27-May-17 17:17:53

S does the unpacking when I arrive home from a food shop. I often get the shout from the kitchen "So where do expect me to put this ?" My dry goods cupboard is rather full smile
I don't buy a tin of beans, I buy a four pack. H likes tinned fruit shock I buy two at a time .........

kittylester Sat 27-May-17 17:29:08

I realise that it's a 'first world problem' but I am so glad that I'm not alone.

I've just checked the larder cupboard and have 2 bottle of red wine vinegar! confused

HildaW Sat 27-May-17 17:42:03

My darling Mum was a somewhat erratic housewife, though a lot of it was to do with lack of money - our cupboard was often a bit Mother Hubbardish. However, when I used to visit Grandma's it was a great delight to check up on her 'secret supplies'. She had a dresser in her little sitting room that was full of, what seemed to us, very exotic things. Tins of red salmon, fruit salad and sliced peaches. There were selection boxes of different flavoured blancmanges and extra packets of tea and sugar. There would also be several tins of corned beef and spam even tinned rice pudding (deemed very common - but good in an emergency).

Oh thanks for bringing back the memories!

Norah Sat 27-May-17 17:42:59

I keep 3 or 4 tins extra, of tomatoes etc, in the pantry so I do not have to shop so often.

KatyK Sat 27-May-17 18:15:50

My DH is always saying to me 'why have you just bought that (whatever it is) when we already have 2 tins/packets etcc?'

KatyK Sat 27-May-17 18:16:18

I even had to put an extra 'c' on the end of etc just in case!

DanniRae Sat 27-May-17 18:27:27

Ha! Ha! Katy - that really made me chuckle grin

chicken Sat 27-May-17 18:32:20

I've just been emptying out my kitchen cupboards ready for some new ones to be installed and was horrified to find I'd got enough dried fruit squirreled away to make C****** cakes, puddings and mincemeat for ten years at least!!I think a large carrier bagful will be making its way to the food bank collection.

DanniRae Sat 27-May-17 18:36:40

I am no doubt like I am because I take after my dear old dad who stashed things under the bed 'just in case' including an ancient tin of margarine (WW2 stock I think). He always bought bars of soap and kept them for ages because they hardened up and lasted longer.

kittylester Sat 27-May-17 18:44:39

My Mil did that with soap.

I am _ nothing_ like my mil!! Her sister had 50 pairs of unopened American tan tights (size small) stashed away in a wardrobe when she died. shock

KatyK Sat 27-May-17 18:47:36

DanniRae grin

DanniRae Sat 27-May-17 18:54:41

Beware if any of you store flour for ages - I had to throw 3 bags away recently because it all had insects crawling about in it!
Apparently if you put a new bag of flour in a plastic bag and put it in freezer for a few days and then store it in the fridge this doesn't happen.

shysal Sat 27-May-17 19:22:46

I have a drawer full of batteries of every size. Unfortunately by the time I need them they have lost most of their power sad.

KatyK Sat 27-May-17 19:25:44

My DH likes wires, we have bags of them. Black ones, white ones, fat ones, thin ones, long ones, short ones, some with plugs attached, some not. They might come in useful apparently smile

kittylester Sat 27-May-17 19:29:32

Did anyone have that game called 'Pit'? DH is often heard to say 'we have a corner in tomatoes/baked beans/tuna etc' grin

Jalima1108 Sat 27-May-17 19:38:21

the family came over at 12 for a barbecue here ( just all gone, am feeling tired out!) and I over provided as usual
grin

A couple of weeks ago the family came over for a barbecue and I asked DS what he would like to cook and opened the fridge to show him - he asked if we were feeding the whole street!
However, what he didn't cook went in the freezer for next time but DH and I still had enough cooked leftovers for the next day. And the girls took some home for their school packed lunch!

Jalima1108 Sat 27-May-17 19:40:48

My MIL had lots and lots of towels and tea towels (all brand new).

We are still using some of the towels 12 years later and I cannot bring myself to use some of the collectable tea towels.

Oldwoman70 Sat 27-May-17 21:23:40

When my brother was first married his wife asked him what she should cook for their first Christmas - he told her to ask Mum and then half it! We were always eating Christmas leftovers for what seemed like weeks!