Gransnet forums

Chat

View from a room

(66 Posts)
Katek Tue 06-Jun-17 11:26:17

My garden always makes me feel better-thought I would share a moment of tranquillity amongst all the problems we're experiencing at the moment.

This was taken from our bedroom window at 10pm last night.

Auntieflo Tue 06-Jun-17 11:32:43

Beautiful Katek

LadyGracie Tue 06-Jun-17 11:34:31

You have a beautiful garden and wonderful outlook katek

NotTooOld Tue 06-Jun-17 11:44:53

Love your gravel garden, katek. DH and I have been making one of those this year and we love it. It was originally just a way of cutting down on the lawn mowing but we have become really interested in it, adding bits and pieces here and there, including rocks and interesting pieces of wood from our log store. Unfortunately, though, we don't have such a lovely view from our garden as you do from yours! Incidentally, you must be quite far north for your garden to be so light at that time of night?

Katek Tue 06-Jun-17 11:45:49

Thank you.

hildajenniJ Tue 06-Jun-17 12:28:41

Lovely garden Kate. Thank you for sharing.

Would you like to see mine after all this rain? I say mine, but really I can't take the credit, it's all DH's work.
Oh dear, the poor poppies!

kittylester Tue 06-Jun-17 12:36:38

What lovely gardens and what a fabulous thread

I love the view of our garden from the window seat in the kitchen - even in the rain.

hildajenniJ Tue 06-Jun-17 12:57:35

Lovely kitty, is that a water feature in the background? Or a planter, whatever it is, it's fab!

I should have said, the view of our garden is from the dining room.

grannylyn65 Tue 06-Jun-17 13:39:16

envy !!!!

Katek Tue 06-Jun-17 13:50:14

Beautiful gardens kitty and hilda. We have gone for the low maintenance of gravel but have patio areas, decking, water features to break it up. We are north of Aberdeen NotTooOld and sunset is currently around 10pm. Lovely sitting outside in the dying light but not today I'm afraid-it's chucking it down!

kittylester Tue 06-Jun-17 13:52:10

It's a water feature Hilda. We used to have pond but it got to be too much like hard work so we got rid of it. To keep the sound of water we bought a tower of bowls that overflow into each other. It stuck out like a sore thumb for years but is, at long last, fitting in a bit more.

Aren't we lucky to be able to create these lovely gardens nowadays. sunshine

kittylester Tue 06-Jun-17 14:01:42

Low maintenance is good!!

Ours is very small and on the playground of the Victorian village school. Unfortunately, the people who did the house conversion did bugger all very little about getting rid of the playground tarmac so the drainage was appalling. The lawn was hopeless so we decided to make patios on two levels. It's the best thing we ever did because we now can sit in the garden while everyone else is mowing their grass. grin

You might have guessed - I love my garden, though I'm not a good gardener!

hildajenniJ Tue 06-Jun-17 17:04:21

Similar story here kitty. Our house was built in the car park of a pub. It was also an unofficial footpath down to the road. Nobody uses it as a path nowadays, thank goodness, I wouldn't like strangers traipsing past my windows. We have a summer house at one end and a leylandii hedge at the gate. Here is the summerhouse, taken on a sunny evening.

f77ms Tue 06-Jun-17 17:11:32

Beautiful Hilda . My garden backs onto the park and is the reason we bought the house . The view through the bedroom window is stunning but sadly the garden has been neglected this year due to it being too much for me . I would love to afford a makeover !

Charleygirl Tue 06-Jun-17 17:17:36

Beautiful and well cared for gardens.

NotTooOld Tue 06-Jun-17 17:20:53

What lovely gardens you all have. Ours is on an old farmyard and the soil is rubbish, full of melon-sized stones. Some of the melons did come in handy as edging when we made the gravel garden earlier in the year. I bought a large trough on legs, too, so I could grow flowers from seed for cutting. It is raining and very windy as I type this and DH tells me our grapevine has come loose from its moorings, as has a large lace-cap hydrangea. Poor things. No sense in trying to put them back whilst this gale is still blowing.

kittylester Tue 06-Jun-17 17:33:19

Lucky you, Hilda, I'd love a summerhouse but we dont have the room as this is the rest of our garden.

This weather has felled a tree iacross a road in our village.

varian Tue 06-Jun-17 20:37:02

View from the kitchen last week when the horse chestnut was in blossom

NotTooOld Tue 06-Jun-17 22:11:44

Wow, Varian, that's beautiful. Lucky you to have such a view from your kitchen. Must make the washing up quite therapeutic!

Katek Tue 06-Jun-17 22:15:57

Varian, that's stunning! We have the river 100mtrs away but it's on the other side of the fence!!

varian Wed 07-Jun-17 09:43:11

I really appreciate having a view of water. Whether you can see the sea, a river, lake or garden pond, it is so lovely to see the light reflected on the surface.

Jalima1108 Wed 07-Jun-17 09:51:00

envy

which is one of the seven deadly sins I know but .....

kittylester Wed 07-Jun-17 10:19:03

I'd love a view of water too. We have to make do with sea views for 3/4 days at a time.

That view is stunning, varian. Is it a lake, river, huge pond? Lucky you.

varian Wed 07-Jun-17 11:19:09

It is a pond with a small island where the tree is. If you watch any of these house hunting programmes they often remark on countryside views but I think even a small pond near to the house makes a big difference.

oldgoat Wed 07-Jun-17 11:32:02

Sadly, this is the view from our kitchen window looking south. The neighbour's mountain ash, apple tree, pear tree and beastly cypressus are planted right next to our fence and are beginning to cut out all the light in our narrow garden. Despite several hints regarding cutting them back / down nothing is done to control them.
Sorry to moan on this otherwise lovely thread.