Gransnet forums

Chat

Who would really represent and stand up for Britain in Brexit?

(39 Posts)
trisher Sat 10-Jun-17 16:15:46

Let's not limit it to politicians. If you could send anyone to Brussels to negotiate with the EU who would you send and why?
If she was still with us Mo Mowlam would have run rings round them.
Joanna Lumley could be aristocratic and posh and make them feel they were lucky she even deigned to speak to them.
Any other suggestions?

Jane10 Sat 10-Jun-17 16:23:51

The Queen? She's got serious knowledge and experience from working with every PM since the 1950s. Also, foreign politicos might be intimidated by her status and have a job understanding her extremely posh accent!

HildaW Sat 10-Jun-17 16:26:42

It should NOT be only the politicians who are in the Government - it was not a party issue after all. The best ones to negotiate are the ones who were not so keen but have now accepted it.

suzied Sat 10-Jun-17 16:32:44

Why has this all got to be so confrontational? Surely whoever can offer the hand of friendship and cooperation. We shouldn't be thinking of "running rings" around anyone. We haven't got much of a say in negotiations anyway.

HildaW Sat 10-Jun-17 16:38:01

Good point suzied....its a point made by The Times today.....now we need diplomats as negotiators not 'bloody difficult women'. Evidently a lot of the hard line approach can be blamed on May's outgoing advisers......but who knows what really goes on behind closed doors. May was sold as an intelligent woman with firm ideas!

Luckygirl Sat 10-Jun-17 17:04:51

I have written to my MP (Tory) to this effect: that we need skilled mediators and negotiators handling this from across the parties and not TM, who we know is poor at interpersonal skills and has poor judgement. (She had to be told to go out and make another speech that acknowledged that the object of the GE was not achieved and she is sorry about those MPs who have lost their jobs - she had to be TOLD that this was appropriate!)

Just because the British people voted (by a tiny margin) for Brexit, it does not mean that they voted for a particular style of Brexit or for only one party or point of view to be involved in the negotiations.

A true negotiator would not strive to be "bloody difficult" but would do what good negotiators do: try to understand the other "side". People will listen to you if they know you have listened to them. The EU is very very worried about Brexit because it knows that there are other countries queuing up to go and they are waiting to see how we fare. The temptation for the EU to give us a bloody nose to deter others is ever-present and being stroppy with them in the negotiations could be a disaster.

whitewave Sat 10-Jun-17 17:09:23

lucky let's hope that your MP takes notice

NotTooOld Sat 10-Jun-17 17:12:27

Lucky - good post.

NotTooOld Sat 10-Jun-17 17:19:40

I wonder if we could send Prince William or Prince Harry to negotiate for us? Probably not. I'd go along with Joanna Lumley - does she speak any other languages? How about Jacob Rees Mogg? He would be extremely polite and that would count for something - better than being bloody difficult.

trisher Sat 10-Jun-17 17:51:23

She probably does but of course she shouldn't have to. If she speaks slowly and as aristocratically as possible she will of course be understood by all. Jacob Rees Mogg would be good as well, so polite and up-tghtly British they wouldn't know what to do.

Elegran Sat 10-Jun-17 18:04:31

The Duke of Edinburgh? grin

annsixty Sat 10-Jun-17 18:08:36

Diplomats are indeed the answer and people who are skilled negotiators.
Politicians are not trained, well ours aren't anyway, but I have always hoped that the main work is done behind the scenes.
Perhaps I have deluded myself.

Elegran Sat 10-Jun-17 18:17:20

Humphrey from Yes Minister? He could drown them in verbiage and intrigue deviously with each of them separately.

yggdrasil Sat 10-Jun-17 18:39:35

Not Rees Moggg. He is more hard brexit than any of them. He still thinks we have an Empire

annodomini Sat 10-Jun-17 20:04:24

Any one but Boris.

Luckygirl Sat 10-Jun-17 20:16:58

D of E - brilliant! grin

Greyduster Sat 10-Jun-17 20:24:55

Ann Widdecombe (your diddy chum!).

trisher Sat 10-Jun-17 21:10:08

Elegran Dof E would have been great-such a diplomat. unfortunately it will take 2 years and he is 96 you know

Jalima1108 Sun 11-Jun-17 00:20:21

The Duke of Edinburgh?
Well, he is a Prince of Greece and has German relations - and spent time in Malta etc etc

Jalima1108 Sun 11-Jun-17 00:22:25

Quite honestly, I think there is no-one better than Boris to bamboozle them completely and get them signing whatever agreements he wants before they realise what they are doing

confused

Tegan2 Sun 11-Jun-17 00:36:08

Well, given that it was Nigel Farages mission in life to get us out of the EU maybe he could be the one to go there and sort it all out and give us the land of milk and honey that he promised. Oh silly me; of course, like his MEP job, he'd just take the money and never bother to turn up....

rubylady Sun 11-Jun-17 00:38:04

Russell Brand - he would tie them up on so much flowery talk, they would be glad to get rid of us!

Saying that, I do like him. Eddie Izzard might be an idea, he has his finger on the pulse and knows his stuff. X

JackyB Sun 11-Jun-17 01:16:46

And he speaks fluent French.

suzied Sun 11-Jun-17 04:10:34

Mr Fishfunger or Mr Buckethead would do a better job than the current lot.

grannysue05 Sun 11-Jun-17 07:50:00

Well what IS Brexit? What do we all want now that we are committed to proceeding? I would guess that we want much tighter control of our borders for a start. (Would the recent terror attacks have been prevented if the so called'human rights' laws had allowed us to stop men training abroad for ISIS returning to the UK just because they held British Passports?). Do we still want free trade plus the ability to deal with any country in the world who will buy our goods and services? Autonomy is good if we can cope with it all. I am hard pressed to think of anyone right now who has that kind of negotiating power. Donald Trump? ......