Gransnet forums

Chat

Academy Schools

(36 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Mon 12-Jun-17 13:58:37

My Grandson is starting school in September
He will be attending a small (120 pupils) academy infant/junior school.

I would be interested to know if any GNer has taught at an academy or if their DGC has attended one.
I have used google to get some background information
And I have also read another thread re the politics involved.

As a Scot I am aware of the Scottish Academy schools , which I think in England would be called secondary schools .
But as the academy that my DGS will be attending is in England I would like thoughts from people who have had some experience of this type of school.

trisher Mon 12-Jun-17 14:12:29

Cherrytree59 My GD is starting an Academy school in September as well. I haven't taught in one but do know a bit about them and have heard both sides of the argument for and against them. Can I ask what your concerns are? As far as your GS is concerned there should be no differences for him from a normal state school.

Nannarose Mon 12-Jun-17 16:38:59

I think that one issue to be aware of of, is who is responsible for the running of the school? A problem in an ordinary state school is taken to the Governors. Academies seem to be a law unto themselves.
It is true that may not affect most children on a day to day basis, but to me is a concern, should issues, say of the quality of teaching, support for children with additional needs, or similar, arise.

Cherrytree59 Mon 12-Jun-17 17:00:08

Hi trisher
I don't have any concerns re my GS education.
It's more enlightenmentsmile

It is the school that his parents requested.
It is a small school with excellent Ofsted report
DD has met the Headteacher and DGS teacher and teaching assistants
She has visited the school with GS.
And over all very happy.

This morning I was reading some points raised on one of the other news and politics thread regarding academy schools.
One point being that they are privately run
I have since read that they don't receive local funding but are funded by government with Charity status.

Education and schools have been off my radar for quite a little while.
Academy schools have been going since 2010 so I am interested to know if any GNers thought there was any difference between state and academy schools.
Better, worse the same?
Also if there was anyone that had taught or been involved in the running of an academy.

I guess if I have any qualms it is that academy schools could become an educational/Political football.

trisher Mon 12-Jun-17 17:37:33

I don't think this will happen partly because all the political parties have at some point supported them. There may be a limit on setting up new ones of course and something might have to be done over failing Academies. You probably already know that they receive the money straight from government rather than through the local authority. The fact is that an awful lot of parents like them and want their children to go to them,

HildaW Mon 12-Jun-17 17:43:54

The use of the word Academy is a bit confusing. A lot of the recent name changes from School to Academy have more to do with schools trying to work within the ever changing legislation for schools.
A lot of it is down to the changes in funding from the old LEAs that held the purse strings and from which schools could buy services. In many areas so many schools have turned themselves into Academies because they have felt it would improve their finances and self determination (whether or not this is so is still open to question).
Eventually in any one area there are just a few establishments left who are still attached to their local LEA but are finding they are really loosing out as these LEAs can no longer function financially.

Sometimes an Academy is just the same old school under a different name.....sometimes outside money has come in and there are hidden agendas.

tanith Mon 12-Jun-17 18:50:15

My GD has been at our local academy for nearly a year and so far so good she's doing well a couple of hiccups were swiftly sorted by staff no complaints yet

downtoearth Tue 13-Jun-17 09:10:14

My GD attended a high school that changed to Academy, there where sides and allegiances drawn up by staff and an agenda by the prinipal to rid school of those that did not agree, many excellent teachers left this way.Any problems where dealt with by heads of year and the principal was unreachable in her towers and guarded by her PA, it was not a happy school and although I cannot remember the name of the group they belonged to( might have been ATT) I believe this has received some bad press.Our journey through school was not a happy one.The principal was fired last year for gross misconduct concerning some pupils.This has been our experience.

Nandalot Tue 13-Jun-17 09:34:28

One of the Academy chains near us has a good academic record. That is because if you don't shape up or fit into the mound you are transported to one of the other schools in the chain, possibly at some distance from the original one. That way they keep their academic record but the move doesn't appear on any records because student is still in the chain. So you might think child will spend whole school career at a particular school but then could end up at another with nothing you can do about it.
Re. Your grandchild, I think it will depend on the Academy. Like all schools, you can't tarnish them all with the same brush.

gillybob Tue 13-Jun-17 09:54:06

The secondary academy on my DGD's doorstep ( the one she can't get into) is an excellent school. It performs head and shoulders ahead of even its closest "rival" however they operate a back door selection criteria where they only take children from certain selected feeder primaries ( all of which happen to be situated in very affluent areas and at least 2 are miles away ) The children who could not get into one of the feeders at 4 have a zero chance of getting in to the academy . They probably don't want my DGD because whilst she is very bright, she goes to a primary on a council estate and they probably can't smell money, which seems to be in plentiful supply for paying the staff and management team (????) well above average plus bonuses etc. yet the head has asked parents to contribute to their child's education by setting up a monthly direct debit . As I said in a previous thread a stones throw from being a private school.

gillybob Tue 13-Jun-17 09:55:01

Yes I am bitter .

Parklife1 Wed 14-Jun-17 14:27:44

Academy schools are run by an academy trust, not ny the local authority. Therecan be stand alone academies, but are more likely to be Multi Academy Trusts (MAT.). They don't have access to local support as LA schools do because they have to have agreements to pay for LA services.

There are some very large academy chains, but smaller ones as well. Any school that has a Special Measures Ofsted will be forced into academisation within a MAT. Academies are not subject to teachers' pay and conditions, so can pay as much or as little as they choose. They generally choose to pay less. The teachers in the school are not always and not necessarily qualified. That doesn't mean they are all poor teachers, but they may not have Qualified Teacher Status.

gillybob Wed 14-Jun-17 14:30:35

the academy to which I refer is rated Outstanding Parklife1 they pay well over the average salaries. They are very fussy where they get their children from though as they only take from the poshest feeders. No common council estate primary kids for them.

Nannarose Wed 14-Jun-17 15:02:37

yes, gillybob, I followed your other posts, and think you are entitled to be bitter.

In my work I had poor experience of academies for the reasons given above. Back door selection, using weasel words makes it hard for students & parents to know where they stand, and woe betide any child who needs any kind of extra support!
I have a teacher friend who left the UK for family reasons for about 5 years. On his return, he was restricted as to where to live (also for family reasons - he's a good guy!) and applied to work in an academy - his only knowledge was from reading about them. He has now left, completely appalled at the absence of support for any students with extra educational, health or social needs, and informed the LA of his grave concerns about child protection.
This is not actually where I live (and none of you the board know anyway) so I feel I can share this.

Having said that, I hope that Cherrytree's GC does not run into any problems. Children and their families who fit the system and help boost results, or achieve stuff that looks good, and only encounter minor problems or small infringements (you know, like running in fields of wheat) will sail happily through the system, and do well.

And gillybob, I do hope that something gets sorted properly for your DGD. As so many of us know, a loving, supportive family who cherish their child's achievements goes a long, long way.

Mamie Wed 14-Jun-17 15:13:29

My granddaughter is at an outstanding Academy. She was not confident when she arrived there, but she has had excellent teaching and support and is now doing extremely well in the top set. Her sister passed the 11+, but has turned down a grammar school place to go to the same Academy. I am hugely impressed by the school and I know that they give excellent support to all abilities. Places are decided on distance from the school.

tanith Wed 14-Jun-17 15:22:10

Just like to add after reading comments here that my GD and many of the other pupils at our Academy are from local council estates and doing well.

gillybob Wed 14-Jun-17 15:22:44

Mamie said : My granddaughter is at an outstanding Academy. Places are decided on distance from the school.

Oh I wish they were at the academy beside where my DGD lives Mamie then she would have been guaranteed to get in. I can't imagine there would be many children living any closer than she does.

ninathenana Wed 14-Jun-17 15:32:09

The local primary that my children attended as a state school became an academy about 7-8 yrs ago. The large chain that took over (with a colour in it's name) made extensive structural changes and much needed larger staff carpark. However, they went bust and the school was passed to a different firm. I have friends who have worked there for many years who are now being made redundant.
None of this detracts from the good teaching and excelent SENCO and crew.

Mamie Wed 14-Jun-17 15:39:00

I know gillybob. Siblings first, then distance. The school has improved massively and the catchment has shrunk to about half a mile with (I think) four children for every place this year. The leadership is inspirational.

Cherrytree59 Wed 14-Jun-17 18:03:51

Thank you all for your interesting comments.

As far as my DHS is concerned we will just have to wait and see.
His uniform had arrived and caused much excitement, fingers crossed for the same in Septembersmile

There is one anomaly in that the reception in a class of 20 there are only 6 boys

Cherrytree59 Wed 14-Jun-17 18:06:56

Fingers crossed for your DGD Gillybob smile

gillybob Wed 14-Jun-17 18:12:20

Thank you Cherrytree59 and all the other gransnetters who have offered advice and sent good wishes over the past few months. You are truly lovely, lovely people.

Needless to say if our appeal is successful I will (virtually) hug you all. smile whether you want a hug or not

stillaliveandkicking Wed 14-Jun-17 20:01:22

Isn't it just another "name"? I wouldn't worry OP.

Here's my sons education.

Up till the age of 11 he went to a local comp.
11 to 16 he went to a school that had awful ratings but was round the corner.
16 to 18 he also went to a stand alone feeder 6th form that was considered "rough".

He thrived and was very happy at every single school.

He's now finished his 1st year at a university that isn't considered fantastic.

Guess what... he got a 1st and is studying Math.

They will learn if they are happy and supported no matter where they go.

gillybob Wed 14-Jun-17 23:11:28

I wouldn't mind so much if the awful school was just round the corner stillaliveand kicking but it's two bus rides away. The very thought of the traveling (alone) is what is the most frightening/ upsetting for her, not the crap school.

Norah Wed 14-Jun-17 23:23:54

gilly remind us please, when is the appeal?