Gransnet forums

Chat

hayfever

(30 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 13-Jun-17 10:57:18

Has anyone else developed hayfever in older life.I never suffered as a younger person, but for the last two years i have developed symptons.Itchy eyes, running nose and sneezing. I put it down to being retired and being outside much more than i use to. Tips to get rid of appreciated. Am taking once a day antihistammine and using eye drops.

stillaliveandkicking Wed 14-Jun-17 19:14:57

I have rhinitis too, had this since I can't remember when. Since having my son I have a nickel allergy. Since menopause I have eczema in my ears would you believe!

Mum had asthma
Sister has hayfever

Son has eczema, asthma, psoriasis and bad food allergies (mainly nuts, cherries and applies) he also carries an epi-pen. Oh and by the way, if anyone has a teen etc. who is supposed to carry one but doesn't due to them being so bulky, I've done a bit of research and they are now almost finished trials on epi pens in the form of a credit card so they can be carried in the pocket or wallet. These should be available next year and cost around £40-£50.

Weird things these allergies, they can come on at any time.

Marydoll Wed 14-Jun-17 20:55:01

SAK, thanks for info on epi-pen. My 36 year old son should carry his, but is so blase about it all, thinks it won't happen again. He was too young to remember the two occasions when he went into anaphylactic shock. We nearly lost him on both occasions. I will never forget the terror I felt.

brendansmith Fri 27-Nov-20 18:38:54

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BlueSapphire Sat 28-Nov-20 08:02:13

I too have had hay fever for the first time this year; it's been terrible; bunged up nose, streaming and stinging painful eyes, all from May through to the end of October. The GP said that it's been particularly bad this year with people reporting suffering it for the first time. Anti-histamines have made no difference, so just had to put up with it.