Gransnet forums

Chat

do u have anything strange in your fridge/freezer?

(70 Posts)
Morgana Wed 14-Jun-17 22:05:08

I have a frozen rabbit two frozen quails and some frozen mice. How about you?

Kim19 Thu 15-Jun-17 11:21:35

A newish shoe which has been spoiled by wet tar (my fault!) which I'm hoping I may be able to 'chip' off. Mmmmmm...... Also a block of polystyrene in the fridge to use up capacity at the moment as I'm told that's for more economic running. Oh yessssss........

Willow500 Thu 15-Jun-17 11:24:20

Only thing not edible is my eye drops - some very weird things in yours grin

Tizliz Thu 15-Jun-17 11:40:49

Kim just reminded me. Half a dozen full water bottles, to use up space and for added insulation in case we get another four day power cut

elleks Thu 15-Jun-17 11:44:51

A chicken carcase (bones only) I make stock in the pressure cooker, so I'm saving it until I've got a potful.

Craftycat Thu 15-Jun-17 12:13:23

All the Seville oranges I bought to make marmalade in January & never got round to. I'll make it into orange curd at some stage.
Oh and a gel pack for sprains etc that ex chiropractor boss gave us all in case of emergencies. In the home. It has been used many times & I've always been glad to have it handy.

Sheilasue Thu 15-Jun-17 12:20:21

Bottle of snow queen vodka. Also hotel chocolate vodka,

Nelliemaggs Thu 15-Jun-17 12:21:31

My flip flops. Bagged needless to say. I have a condition, Erythromelalgia, which causes great heat in feet and elsewhere. One pair on my feet, one pair in the freezer. I can change my footwear 20 times a day though usually am barefoot if staying inside.

Elegran Thu 15-Jun-17 12:29:02

Only Jan this year, craftycat ? Mine are older than that.

starbecklass Thu 15-Jun-17 12:43:42

My son, moving into new student digs, eventually got round to defrosting the old freezer which had loads of unknown bits and pieces. Finding a pack of homemade chocolate muffens, him and his mate decided to taste them, they were good so they had another. About 1/2 hour later he was walking down the street and felt very peculiar. Turned out the "muffins" were maruhana ones. Put them off chocolate muffins for a while!

gillyknits Thu 15-Jun-17 13:03:23

Suppositories prescribed by the doctor and told to store in fridge. Needless to say they are hidden at the back in case a visitor needs milk for a cuppa!!

Mermaid6 Thu 15-Jun-17 13:29:32

I keep the pickled gherkins dill/onions liquid in my fridge after I have eaten the Gherkins. I use this for salad dressing instead of anything else. Love it.

kittylester Thu 15-Jun-17 13:35:53

Currently,every time we open the fridge a kitten climbs in. We usually remember to fish her out. shock

Grannyjacq1 Thu 15-Jun-17 14:03:00

Deformed daffodil bulbs - court evidence some years ago in a spray chemical case. When my parents came to look after the children, they were told to help themselves to anything - but not to eat the daffodils. Case now resolved, so daffodil bulbs no longer in freezer. This was over 20 years ago!

pen50 Thu 15-Jun-17 14:04:35

I have a pair of rather smelly shoes (well wrapped in plastic!) Some folk say that freezing stinky items kills the odour-producing bacteria, so I thought it was worth a try. I will leave them in for a week or so, and see what happens when I defrost.

SueDonim Thu 15-Jun-17 14:56:22

My friend had a guinea pig in her freezer. It was her adult daughter's pet but died when the daughter was away and she wanted to be there when they buried it, so they froze it.

Deedaa Thu 15-Jun-17 15:28:41

We had to freeze DD's hamster because the ground was frozen too hard to bury it. The strangest thing I ever had in the freezer was the foetus of a bull calf. DH brought it home when he was working for an abattoir. It was,a fascinating little thing, about the size of a 4 week old kitten and complete with tiny hooves.

Angela1961 Thu 15-Jun-17 15:34:37

How about a tick wrapped in cling film ! Found one on me recently, removed it but read it should be kept until sure I haven't had the bullseye reaction.

Lewlew Thu 15-Jun-17 15:58:03

Wow, what an interesting thread!

I only have my mascara in there as I rarely use it, it's a very expensive brand, and don't want it to get bacteria in it.

starbird Thu 15-Jun-17 16:14:27

Does the hydrogen peroxide work for your teeth - how do you use it?

KatyK Thu 15-Jun-17 16:20:15

My DD did exactly the same with their guinea pig
SueDonim ! Son-in-law was away but wanted to be there at the burial.

TwiceAsNice Thu 15-Jun-17 16:38:31

Mr Men cold pack to put on "bumps" and a bottle of opened Calpol both for the grandchildren

Auntieflo Thu 15-Jun-17 16:38:51

00Mam00, why aren't your sloes happily pickling in some gin, instead of lurking in your freezer? smile

judypark Thu 15-Jun-17 16:51:22

My DD kept her beloved late parrot in her freezer for nine years until, due to a power cut poor Polly got defrosted.
Owing to a house move I had to clean out my ancient chest freezer, apart from the obligilitary shrivelled peas and wrinkly sweetcorns I discovered a pack of Ice-Pops welded to the base. My children were by then in their thirties!

hildajenniJ Thu 15-Jun-17 17:03:52

The only non food item in my freezer is a couple of help packs for sprains, and two of those inserts for cool bags/boxes.

hildajenniJ Thu 15-Jun-17 17:04:17

Gel packs!