Gransnet forums

Chat

What means Summer is here?

(52 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Fri 16-Jun-17 17:17:07

Grampy yelled upstairs to me.... want an ice-cream in the garden.

Yep! Summers here!!

What ( apart from glorious sunshine) means that Summer has arrived for you?

MawBroon Fri 16-Jun-17 17:18:24

Mini magnums -no calorie content because they are so TINY.
The Waitrose equivalent are also irresistibleyummy.

TriciaF Fri 16-Jun-17 17:54:30

My husband loves his ice creams too - woe betide me if I forget to stock up from the supermarket.

Anniebach Fri 16-Jun-17 17:56:25

Long light evenings

NanaandGrampy Fri 16-Jun-17 17:57:51

Oh yes Annie that's a definite !!

Nandalot Fri 16-Jun-17 18:09:15

Yes, warm, light summer evenings and the noise of children playing,enjoying a delayed bedtime as us it too hot to go to sleep.

tanith Fri 16-Jun-17 18:57:05

Opening doors and windows in the early morning and eating my breakfast in the garden listening to the birds.

gillybob Fri 16-Jun-17 19:10:50

Being able to eat my dinner/ supper al fresco without the need of a padded jacket and a blankie, Heaven .

M0nica Fri 16-Jun-17 19:17:52

The sound of lawn mowers very soothing, even powered ones.

gillybob Fri 16-Jun-17 19:19:59

And that gorgeous smell of cut grass too.

Lillie Fri 16-Jun-17 19:22:23

Definitely eating outside.

Granof11 Fri 16-Jun-17 19:22:48

My rose and carnation borders all abloom.

Nanabilly Fri 16-Jun-17 19:24:05

Sitting out in the garden of an evening with a glass of wine or a cup of tea and closing my eyes with my feet up while swinging on my swing seat .
Love it.

hildajenniJ Fri 16-Jun-17 23:22:50

My summer starts when I see the first house martins flying overhead. It may be early spring, but I call to DH that summer's here. He always wants to know why, and I tell him that the summer birds are back.

mimiro Fri 16-Jun-17 23:26:48

hayfever and hundreds of birds singing
live in a bird preserve and migration patterns give a different concert every morning

ninathenana Fri 16-Jun-17 23:37:00

Having the fan on in the bedroom.
H asking for salad for dinner

MissAdventure Fri 16-Jun-17 23:59:26

Taking my lovely summer clothes out of the wardrobe to find they've all shrunk, every single item. grin

travelsafar Sat 17-Jun-17 08:25:21

Being out in the garden on a summer evening, hearing the blackbirds singing, the murmour of neighbours chatting in their garden, watching the birds in my bird bath enjoying a refreshing bathe, hearing the bees buzzing on my flowers all planted especially for them to enjoy and seeing the wonder in my grandchildrens faces when they are allowed to pick strawberries straight from the garden to eat with ice cream.

NanaandGrampy Sat 17-Jun-17 08:27:36

Its amazing how much Summer and eating/living outdoors is something we all cherish .

All of the responses resonate with me --- I do love summer x

radicalnan Sat 17-Jun-17 09:22:48

MissAdventure, what washing powder do you use I am having the very same problem.

Summer is spending more money on drinks than food in supermrket shop, I am almost tea total so no acohol,but so may gorgeous fruit juices to choose from now and coconut water.....and buying crushed ice.

sluttygran Sat 17-Jun-17 09:31:51

I love all the flowers and the sound of bees working, but most of all I love the early dawn.
It's worth rising at 4am to enjoy the clean, empty morningness of everything - and hardly any traffic. Gorgeous !

Grandson2008 Sat 17-Jun-17 09:33:49

Love the summer waking up to the birds singing. Long light evenings all the windows open. My grandson in his shorts and t shirts playing in the garden. My joints less painful as the weather is warm gorgeous ice cream for pud rather than hot puds. Yes you can't beat summer long may it last

grandMattie Sat 17-Jun-17 09:42:22

Waking up even earlier than usual because of the light - this morning I was awake at 2.30 and up by 430. sigh!
Windows and patio doors open from morning to sunset. Love seeing our tiny garden looking and smelling so sweet.

blueberry1 Sat 17-Jun-17 10:03:54

Wearing skirts and having bare legs!I feel the cold so much that my legs rarely see the light of day so it just feels so free and lovely to leave them bare.

mazza245 Sat 17-Jun-17 10:16:18

Well, you must all be living further south than I am! We have had some sun on a few days in May but not much recently. It's cloudy, drizzly and cool most days. We were promised gorgeous sunshine and warmth this weekend but up to now, it's warmish but not sunny as yet. We are in the north west, Lancashire, where the cotton mills were all situated precisely because of the cool damp climate!

We all crave sun and warmth and get so annoyed to see beautiful weather on the tv but it passes us by! As for sitting in the garden in the evenings, I'm putting socks and a cardigan on and sitting inside the house wishing I was brave enough to put the fire on!