Gransnet forums

Chat

Not noticing what's right under your nose

(29 Posts)
KatyK Sat 17-Jun-17 16:40:05

We have a canal at the back of our house, on the other side of our fence. There is a bridge which I have crossed many times, going to shops etc. As I cross, I always take a look both ways and often see ducks, herons, and the odd boat etc.
I think to myself that it's nice to see the water as really we are on the outskirts of a big city and then I get on with my business. My DH said today 'shall we take a walk along the canal bank?' I said 'why?' He said that a new path had been laid and it might be nice to take a walk. So I agreed to a short walk as it is so hot. Now, we have lived in this house for over 30 years and we have never done this before. What an eye-opener. We ended up walking for ages. We saw ducks, some with ducklings, fish, willow trees, dads with their children with fishing nets and buckets, a few friendly walkers, cyclists, joggers, we could hear children playing in gardens behind the trees along the bank. We came across bridges and old fashioned signposts. The only downside was litter in some parts. Who knew all this was there at the back of our rather small semi in a city suburb. We drive for miles some weekends looking for somewhere pretty and it was here all the time!

MawBroon Sat 17-Jun-17 17:12:02

Sometimes it takes having visitors to make you realise what is under your nose. Showing visiting friends around here has more than once opened my eyes to what I have been taking for granted.

NanaandGrampy Sat 17-Jun-17 17:23:42

That's really lovely Katy , too often in our search we miss the obvious. Sounds like it's something you'll enjoy more often .

KatyK Sat 17-Jun-17 17:26:45

Yes indeed smile

Marydoll Sat 17-Jun-17 19:41:09

What a lovely, cheerful post. A great way to spend your afternoon.

Nanabilly Sat 17-Jun-17 20:14:00

Up until last summer we had a narrowboat so regularly saw exactly what you are describing . Ours 2 sons often joined us with their little families and used to say "we travel these roads on a regular basis and never know what is behind the trees and hedges"
We found beautiful villages we had never heard of and of course when we got back we would always Google properties in the area we had visited.
It is beautiful ..apart from the rubbish as you said.

inishowen Sun 18-Jun-17 09:17:22

You should make your walk a regular thing. As for the litter, why not take a few bags and pick it up?

Caroline123 Sun 18-Jun-17 09:52:45

Canal walks are generally lovely!
As for the letter,I go out in my local area with a bag and a litter picker (which I bought) and about once a fortnight collect some of the rubbish. I makes me feel better and enjoy my walks more when I'm not litter picking!
Win win!

Angela1961 Sun 18-Jun-17 10:20:39

We live in the Lake District and it's lovely when you take people off to see it's wonders. It gives us a whole new appreciation on where we live.

Anniebach Sun 18-Jun-17 10:22:13

We are so lucky to have a canal run through part of our town ,plus three rivers , canal and river walks are so beautiful and healing. So yes take a bag and pick up litter, keep the area beautiful

nipsmum Sun 18-Jun-17 10:22:37

Walking with my dog around the park this morning, I saw at least 3 people litter picking in the 20 minUte's I was out. Well done you 3.

KatyK Sun 18-Jun-17 10:26:06

Yes I said to DH that I would go out with a bin bag and pick up the litter, which I will. Unfortunately some of it was in the canal itself.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 18-Jun-17 10:30:19

On our retirement we moved to the coast It was my choice, not late DH, he would have preferred the countryside and its waterways . Watching Tv and life on a long boat I can see what he meant.

Nanna58 Sun 18-Jun-17 11:24:06

DH mantiobed a beautiful lake in the park where he had a bowls match, not 10 mins from our house. Said don't be daft I've lived here all my life if there was a beautiful lake I'd kn about it! I didn't -but it's now one of our favourite places

Nanna58 Sun 18-Jun-17 11:25:49

Mentioned! But hell, mantiobed is so good it should be a word!

Anniebach Sun 18-Jun-17 11:47:45

Why do idiots not realise litter kills wildlife , grrrrrrrr

CardiffJaguar Sun 18-Jun-17 11:50:20

Water courses, natural or man made are always an attraction. I have lived close to a canal many years ago before all the boost in holidays in boats on canals and can well understand your surprise at finding so much to enjoy. Unfortunately litter is a problem everywhere. The UK is suffering from a distinct lack of appreciation about keeping our environment clean - that needs a lot of education to overcome.

narrowboatnan Sun 18-Jun-17 12:06:07

Welcome to my world! I live on a boat and scenes like this are an every day occurrence for me. I don't think I'll ever take it for granted or stop appreciating it - and the best thing is, it's constantly changing as the seasons roll around.

HootyMcOwlface Sun 18-Jun-17 14:58:32

Oh that brings back memories! I used to work in Birmingham city centre and a few of us used to go for a walk along the canal at lunchtime in good weather. Sounds exactly like that!

HurdyGurdy Sun 18-Jun-17 15:03:07

I lived in London for 10 years and never "did the sights" until I had friends come to stay. I think it was just that I knew they were there, and never needed to make a specific visit to see them. My friends couldn't believe that I wasn't out sightseeing every weekend lol

kittylester Sun 18-Jun-17 16:21:26

We have a bit of the Grand Union Canal in our village and the tow path is one of our favourite walks. Unfortunately we live up a very steep hill from the canal.

W11girl Sun 18-Jun-17 17:44:29

Yes its really odd! I lived in London all my life until recently, and had never been to the tower of London until that fabulous poppy display for rememberance day a couple of years ago! Made a special trip there!

Brupen Sun 18-Jun-17 17:47:18

We have just got back from a week on the Kennet and Avon canal and indeed it was wonderful to see all the wild life plus everyone was so friendly. All the joggers,cyclists,dog walkers and other canal users said hello or good morning etc. if I spoke to people on my normal trip locally they would think I was mad!

Welshwife Sun 18-Jun-17 19:14:02

The last place we lived in the UK had a small river running through - it had a lot of rubbish in if and it was along the cycle path/ walkway alongside. The community organised a clearing party with bags and also lorries to collect rubbish as designated places. The amount of rubbish collected was amazing - everyone finished with a community barbecue and games for the children on a local park. A great day as everyone had on clothes which did not matter so was not worried about getting messy! We did have a couple of shopping trollies pulled out of the water!

Welshwife Sun 18-Jun-17 19:16:48

That's an English/ British thing I think not speaking to people you meet - in France everyone greets you even the shy teenage boys -and the same in parts of US. The village we lived in in Wales (with the river) everyone you passed spoke to you - I loved that.