Gransnet forums

Chat

Displaying emotions

(392 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 18-Jun-17 10:10:32

Difficult to word this . No politics please

Have we become too touchy feely? Too American - I feel you pain .

Remembering the Diana hysteria, Charles was uncaring father and husband, queenie very lucky Balmoral wasn't stormed and she was given a public hanging .

'Your people need you' 'show us you care'

Charles Spencer the adulterer and like his father a bully to his wife. He was applauded for a sentimental speech, not forgetting he first blamed the press then switched to the windsors.

I didn't need queenie, who did?

The same is happening now.

Why the need for public display of emotions?

This is not to lay blame for Diana's death or what is happening now, just wondering if anyone thinks as I do, I don't need celebrities or politicians or royals to do a public display of - I feel you pain .

Hope we are spared another rewording of Candle In The Wind

Why do we need this? I really am puzzled

Anniebach Fri 23-Jun-17 20:29:41

Be fair Jamila, perhaps she suffered IBS grin reminds me of being told - you soon forget the pain, nooooooooo

Jalima1108 Fri 23-Jun-17 20:37:31

After all, anyone who swore the world was flat would feel foolish now.
Wilma I met someone recently who is convinced and tried to convince me that the world is flat. I got the impression that she thinks the rest of us are foolish.

I think that identical twins may experience synesthesia, as for anyone else I would have to find out more about it from reading the results of scientific research.

Having been otherwise occupied today I have not read the links but I will.
It is an interesting subject which is more wide-ranging than feeling the pain of another person.

Jalima1108 Fri 23-Jun-17 20:38:58

anniebach I think we wanted to go back and tell her but we never saw her again!

Baggs Fri 23-Jun-17 20:41:27

Perhaps if you said you find it hard to believe it would be acceptable to the diehard disbelievers of truthful statements, annie, but I suspect that once one has been categorised as a bad person by certain members of GN, then it doesn't matter what you say but it will be twisted into an insult deliberately intended to be hurtful or insulting to someone. It's how they roll, or so it seems.

Baggs Fri 23-Jun-17 20:44:38

"more wide-ranging than feeling the pain of another person". Just so, jal. I think the most commonly known off occurrences are to do with seeing numbers (or something) as colours: grapheme colour synesthesia. There may even have been a thread about it on GN before.

Anniebach Fri 23-Jun-17 20:49:17

So true Baggs but I am well use to it. I was told sometime ago thst me believing in God was believing in the tooth fairy and not one who has condemned me on this thread didn't leap forward in my defence

Jalima1108 Fri 23-Jun-17 20:51:15

Is this different than a word evoking a certain smell - is that memory or not?
Or a certain word making one shudder for no reason whatsoever?
Does it involve memory or extreme empathy?

Anniebach Fri 23-Jun-17 20:55:16

Expect a new Mum had killed her Jalima, a close friend had her first baby two weeks before the birth of my first baby, she said - it realy isn't as painful as some in anti natal claimed. After my baby's birth she breezed into the maternity ward and said - , bloody awful isn it grin

Elegran Fri 23-Jun-17 21:03:18

Telepathy is another means of sharing feelings/experiences with another, or rather, a name given to this sharing, because I don't think it is known how this works with some people. As telepathy seems to happen more between people with a strong emotional link then receiving "input" of thought from someone very close could explain things like the couvade.

Add to that the other known phenomenon, that the sensation of physical pain can happen when the brain is primed to expect it, and I could believe that the combination of the two COULD produce a sharing of physical as well as emotional pain between two people who are very close.

But it still seems to me that people who say that they feel the pain of someone who is not close are using the words in a metaphorical way to mean that they understand that the other person is suffering and are distrssed at the thought, not that they literally feel the sensations of pain with them.

Anniebach Fri 23-Jun-17 21:13:00

Interesting post Elegran , thank you

Baggs Fri 23-Jun-17 21:37:19

Thank you, elegran, for saying so well what I also meant when I defended my post of 19:08:41.

To anyone else who cares to read:
I'm still at a loss to understand how my post beginning "Yes, I get seeing pain..." could be so misconstrued as to be taken to mean I didn't believe and was dismissing what Jen was saying in her comment about seeing her husband's pain. I think Yes usually denotes at least a degree of understanding and agreement, does it not?

Anniebach Fri 23-Jun-17 21:41:17

I think all your posts have been without a scrap of offence Baggs and very balanced

Baggs Fri 23-Jun-17 21:46:05

The last time someone said "I feel your pain" to me was when I biffed my car on a wall after slipping on ice on a steep hill. I understood that to mean that the person understood the annoyance about the buggeration of damaging my car, the metaphorical pain. Actually the car in question, still dented, is still going strong. It recently told us its name is Slumdog so I don't think it minds a dent or two. Just as well really.

Anyway, that is what I was thinking of when I said that I think the expression is used, more often than not in my opinion, as a figure of speech to express sympathy. Perhaps it was my including the word 'just' that caused the problem. Semantics does matter, after all. In which case I hereby withdraw the word just and apologise for its inclusion. In the heat of the moment and all that....

Baggs Fri 23-Jun-17 21:47:37

Thank you, Annie. I appreciate that because, regardless of what some people seem to think, that's usually what I'm aiming at even if I don't always make it.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 23-Jun-17 23:00:45

Jamilma that made me smile! grin

trisher I've been trying to send you a message for the last hour, so we'll ditch the theory! grin

I don't even think saying to someone in pain "I feel your pain." is that common here in the UK.

Doesn't anybody else have an open mind about this kind of thing? The human brain is incredibly complex and I believe we've yet to learn so much more about how it developed from an evolutionary aspect, as well as and how it works now.

I can definitely believe that identical twins can feel things about the other. Also, that feeling another person's pain might require a strong emotional connection.

I remember Sheldon Cooper on the Big Bang Theory dismissing any science because everything comes down to physics. The older I get, the more I believe him. grin

trisher Sat 24-Jun-17 11:50:42

Sorry Wilma I watched the Last Leg and switched off! grin we obviously need to syncronise our transmitting times.