Gransnet forums

Chat

Displaying emotions

(392 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 18-Jun-17 10:10:32

Difficult to word this . No politics please

Have we become too touchy feely? Too American - I feel you pain .

Remembering the Diana hysteria, Charles was uncaring father and husband, queenie very lucky Balmoral wasn't stormed and she was given a public hanging .

'Your people need you' 'show us you care'

Charles Spencer the adulterer and like his father a bully to his wife. He was applauded for a sentimental speech, not forgetting he first blamed the press then switched to the windsors.

I didn't need queenie, who did?

The same is happening now.

Why the need for public display of emotions?

This is not to lay blame for Diana's death or what is happening now, just wondering if anyone thinks as I do, I don't need celebrities or politicians or royals to do a public display of - I feel you pain .

Hope we are spared another rewording of Candle In The Wind

Why do we need this? I really am puzzled

durhamjen Sun 18-Jun-17 13:06:47

I agree, Wilma. We do not know what celebrities do when out of the public eye.
Prince William is showing that he gets much of his feelings about people from his mother, who showed that she cared by touching people. Many people were scared of aids before she helped to dispell the fear.

Annie, you said no politics, please, but this is pure politics.

Anniebach Sun 18-Jun-17 13:09:05

yes Wilma, it should be a choice not a reaction to a demand

Anniebach Sun 18-Jun-17 13:10:42

Queenie doesn't do politics Jen, didn't you know this, so it is not political no matter you must be champing at the but to make it so .

Anniebach Sun 18-Jun-17 13:12:24

And Diana stopped being huggy, kissy because she was miffed she lost her HRH , fact

durhamjen Sun 18-Jun-17 13:17:43

Who says it's not a choice?
Who says the public demand it?

Jane10 Sun 18-Jun-17 13:23:54

Get thee to the Argy Bargy cafe dj!

Anniebach Sun 18-Jun-17 13:26:06

You missed all the Diana death coverage Jen? Try googling it yes?

durhamjen Sun 18-Jun-17 13:30:19

Sorry, Jane, hadn't realised I wasn't allowed to display my emotions on this thread.

Jane10 Sun 18-Jun-17 13:36:53

An opinion isn't an emotion!

durhamjen Sun 18-Jun-17 13:40:18

I find it difficult to separate my opinions from my emotions. Does that make me emotionally immature?
If so, I prefer to be like that than cold and uncaring.

Anniebach Sun 18-Jun-17 13:56:37

It makes it obvious you cannot cope with a thread which isn't political and isn't argumentative so you bring both . Carry on.

Chewbacca Sun 18-Jun-17 14:11:24

It's a fair point that the general public are possibly not aware of what slebs and z listers may be doing "behind the scenes", following their photo opportunity. But I have compare them against the likes of the artists and bands who came together for the recent Manchester Arena gig. No overtly obvious photo ops; no seeking to apportion blame to anyone - the sole aim and desire to was to contribute positively; bring happiness to those affected and raise some money for victims. There support was the polar opposite of Lily Allen, who, imo, did more harm than good in what was already a bad situation.

durhamjen Sun 18-Jun-17 14:31:18

Apart from Lily Allen, who else has used it as a photo opportunity? I have watched her on screen and thought she was just honestly saying what she thought.
Like I said, I must look at different things to you, as I never even noticed Lily Allen until it was pointed out to me.
Perhaps we all see what we want to see.

Anniebach Sun 18-Jun-17 14:33:01

But still the question is - should the public demand a public display of emotions from people as happened to queenie

Chewbacca Sun 18-Jun-17 14:34:17

No, I don't think so Annie .

Chewbacca Sun 18-Jun-17 14:36:40

I never even noticed Lily Allen until it was pointed out to me. Perhaps we all see what we want to see"

Yes, I think that's probably correct.

merlotgran Sun 18-Jun-17 14:40:06

It must be difficult for celebs who live nearby to pay their respects/offer support with so many camera crews around. I saw a picture of a clearly upset Brooklyn Beckham, looking at the message wall. He had a minder with him who put an arm in front of the camera so obviously not a deliberate photo opportunity.

If they don't do anything and just hide in their expensive houses they'll be criticised so it's damned if they do and damned if they don't.

durhamjen Sun 18-Jun-17 14:51:56

Exactly, merlot. Lily Allen was born in Hammersmith, right next door to Kensington.

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 18-Jun-17 16:24:00

Just wanted to say I don't agree with the description of public hysteria over Diana's death. Yes, there was a huge outpouring of public emotion not seen before, but no hysteria. Nor do I remember her no longer being less huggy after her divorce, unless it's because she was not carrying out royal engagements bringing her in contact with those who needed a hug. It was an unhappy marriage and Diana died in tragic circumstances years ago. Unless related to the couple, why do some people sound so bitter?

Anniebach Sun 18-Jun-17 16:33:53

Nothing bitter in saying she dropped most of her charities when she lost her HRH ,I brought Diana into this because of the hounding queenie got from not rushing back to London, so not a thread about Diana, just a question, should the public demand anyone makes a public display of their emotions .

If you wish then the criticism queenie got for not displaying her affection for her children publicly , sixty years on we have seen private videos of her being affectionate with her children, so we judged harshly and we were wrong.

MargaretX Sun 18-Jun-17 16:41:08

I agree Annie- since Diana there has been so much more public grieving as if it is the nations new pasttime.

People can grieve quietly in the privacy of their own homes and are being prevented from this by relatives dragging them in front of TV cameras.

durhamjen Sun 18-Jun-17 16:58:53

I think there is a bit of exaggeration going on here, just the sort of display that Annie is against.
Who has been dragged in front of the cameras to show their grief in public?

Iam64 Sun 18-Jun-17 17:25:18

I suspect most of us were brought up not to 'show off' , show strong feelings or see ourselves as the centre of the universe. The stars of old were less reserved, no doubt because of the drama that accompanies so much theatrical or film life. I don't feel we are unpleasantly touchy feely as some posters seem to.

I see it as a positive thing that our society is less inclined to expect feelings to be suppressed. How many of us knew fathers (in my case, not mine luckily) who had suffered eg on the Burma railway. I know men who never talked about, or sought help but who drank, had outbursts of anger and endless nightmares.

So far as the death of Diana goes, I wore a Don't do it Di badge when her marriage was being planned. She was 19 years old, had experienced a difficult childhood and marrying the future king within days of discovering he was romantically involved with Camilla. She struggled with her new life, didn't have the coping mechanisms needed. I'm sure both she and a Charles were miserable. Her death was a tragedy. The royal family seemed to attempt to protect William and Harry by staying away from London but I don't accept most people could believe taking two boys to Church, in public, within a couple of hours of telling them their mother was dead, was in any way protective. The family were in shock,like most people. There was some public anger expressed but that dissipated as soon as they returned to London. The Queen is extremely popular. I wasn't a Royalist as a younger woman but she acts well as out head of state.

I don't see that 'the same is happening now' as the op suggests. I do feel Theresa May is having a torrid time but I don't think that's what was meant. I may of course be wrong.

So, I don't believe our society is to Americanised. I don't know enough about celebs to criticise. I've only seen Lily Alen being interviewed and I couldn't find fault with her

grumppa Sun 18-Jun-17 18:00:31

If a stiff upper lip should be a personal choice, so should overt display of emotion.

Anniebach Sun 18-Jun-17 18:15:24

Yes grumppa , thank you for s straight answer