Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it me ?

(9 Posts)
Nanabilly Sat 24-Jun-17 11:21:49

We found that only certain freezers were suitable for outside or garage usage when we decided to put a small one for Christmas foods in our garage some years ago . Did not find it to only be one brand though. We found the chest type freezers were more readily available for that type of usage and not the uprights. They are clearly labelled for it or they were about 10 years ago.I
I do agree though that may electrical items don't last long nowadays. We are not called a throwaway society for nothing but I'm sure it's not our fault, it's the manufacturers and how they are made with cheap parts. Things are so expensive to get repaired so we just buy new.I
Terrible isn't it ?

Alima Sat 24-Jun-17 11:15:48

I thought it was all modern freezers that are not supposed to work if kept in an unheated room/outhouse/shed/garage. Something to do with the energy saving typy thingies now. We had a Bejam, now Iceland possibly, freezer which was kept in a garage/shed for over 30 years which never stopped working. Sadly we binned it on our last move. Currently have an Indesit freezer in the unheated out house. Still working, fingers crossed.

jusnoneed Sat 24-Jun-17 11:12:06

Our water is very "hard" which doesn't help with kettles/washer machines though the ones I have at the moment are doing ok.
Had to replace iPad lead a couple months ago as that packed up, sons went at the same time so he bought two long ones.

Not heard that about freezers silverlining48, I have small chest freezer in the shed which is not a Beko (never bought any of their stuff) and that's been going fine for years.
Touch wood!!

ninathenana Sat 24-Jun-17 11:08:04

I'd certainly not heard that only Beko were suitable for outhouses etc.
Mum had a small chest freezer in what was the brick coal shed. It must have been there 30+ yrs and still going strong when she went into residential care.

glammanana Sat 24-Jun-17 11:05:08

I have found small kitchen appliances do not last as long as they used to,over the past two years I have returned 2 x kettles and 1 x toaster and they have been decent makes every time.I could not find the receipt for one kettle at £39.99 but found the payment on my bank statement which the shop acknowledged as proof of purchase so replacement was given.

silverlining48 Sat 24-Jun-17 10:53:50

Our freezer and the house phones are playing up. Bought new phones yesterday. Freezer is outside and just been told its only beko who make freezers which are suitable for being in an outhouse/ garage which is where we want it for. Has anyone heard of that ? We were very surprised hVe not heard of that before and normal freezers are less exoensive, . My fitted freezer in the kitchen is teeny tiny which is why i need another one.

Had a period of buying lots of kettles which only lasted a few months.

BlueBelle Sat 24-Jun-17 10:50:50

No Cornergran wiring all ok the toaster and kettle obviously both used in different sockets in the kitchen but radio in living room and the charger I bought my daughter so not even used in my house

cornergran Sat 24-Jun-17 10:38:17

Maybe this time bluebelle, but overall I do agree, most electrical items don't last as long and they do fail in groups. I often put it down to increased complexity, but nothing complex about kettles and toasters. I did wonder, though, if they have all been used in the same room if it's worth getting your wiring checked? No idea really, I'm no electrician, but could there be a fault causing it? Hope the new ones are longer lasting.

BlueBelle Sat 24-Jun-17 10:28:16

Do any of you find electrical things go wrong much more quickly than they used to ...I freely admit I don't buy the most expensive in the range but neither the cheapest I try to go middle of the road As I live alone there is not heavy useage but just recently I ve had a toaster, a kettle, a radio and an Apple charger all pack up, the kettle I d had about a year the toaster a bit longer probably a couple and the radio which was a Roberts (a good make) three months the charger which was a Juice not a cheapie I bought in March this year so again about three months The radio will hopefully be replaced as it's in guarantee the charger has been replaced as they have a two year guarantee the toaster and kettle I ve rebought as I couldn't find receipts but what do you all think am I just unlucky ?