Gransnet forums

Chat

Flipping woman

(82 Posts)
kittylester Thu 29-Jun-17 15:57:32

So, this morning I went to Sainsbury's with DH and DGD3 (aged 4!). We eventually got to the checkout, with a very full trolley, and joined a queue. The Supervisor opened another till and indicated that we should move over and start unpacking the trolley, which I did while DH 'entertained' DGD.

Before I had finished emptying my trolley a woman came and started unloading her small trolley onto the end of the belt. I didn't have enough room to get all my stuff on in front of the separating thingy but when I asked her to move some of her shopping out of the way she just said 'No, I've unpacked it now!' angry

I was stressed enough as it was, what with DH and DGD but that was the giddy limit! So I huffed a lot! blush

moobox Fri 30-Jun-17 10:15:45

I was twice allowed through in front of someone the other day, first in Home bargains then in Lidl, as I didn't have much. That was sweet, but the first guy allowed two ladies to go in front of him and he only had 4 things himself!

Shazmo24 Fri 30-Jun-17 10:21:38

Simple way of this not happening. ..Online shopping!!

KatyK Fri 30-Jun-17 10:36:59

Mamacaz Like I said, DH and I are a pair of grumpy old gits. I understand people have difficulties.

Lupatria Fri 30-Jun-17 10:41:02

i shop online and have the grandaughters handy when it's delivered. hate shopping [any shopping] at the best of times and grocery shopping is the worst.

Granjan06 Fri 30-Jun-17 10:56:00

I avoid one of our Aldi stores ever since one of the cashiers started scanning before I had unloaded trolley, he was huffing and puffing as he then had a pile of scanned items before I'd got the trolley down. Cashier then decided to push the goods into the trolley - result smashed eggs dripping onto floor and a split bag of flour needless to say he wasn't happy and couldn't continue to serve until things were cleaned up. I now go to another Aldi, staff far more pleasant

Kim19 Fri 30-Jun-17 10:56:09

Gosh..... I'm amazed by the amount of frustration and stress expressed here. Don't particularly like shopping but I do try to select a time which might be quieter since time is what I often have nowadays. This is a bit of an eyeopener to me and I plan to pay more attention to what's going on ahead of me in future. I just kind of live and let live. People are just plain quirky and sometimes irritating. I must resolve not to be one of them!

nipsmum Fri 30-Jun-17 11:00:06

Do big shop monthly and get Tesco to bring it straight into my kitchen. Only once do I have to touch it to put it into the cupboards. Absolutely no stress at all.

pollyperkins Fri 30-Jun-17 11:24:07

I shop and scan too much easier. I scan each item as i take it off the shelf and pack staigt into the bag. Paying is a doddle, no queue and takes about 2 mins - no unpacking and repacking.
I used to hate queueing especially when the person in front suddenly remembered another item and rushed off to get it leaving all her stuff on the belt!

sarahellenwhitney Fri 30-Jun-17 11:56:36

kittylester
My response to the ignorant and selfish in our society , as you have experienced, is 'where's the fire then'
Not what you would call appropriate at the moment given recent events but none the less it does make them pause maybe in shock? and then a tut and a 'where did that come from' look.
I find the worst are the elderly accompanied by their equally elderly husbands who bang the separator down and rush to unload. For the life of me I can never understand this desperation at their time of life.
Myself having retired, for many years,it is a joy not having to rush 24 x 7 like in my busy working life.

Myym Fri 30-Jun-17 12:09:44

I also leave my purse firmly in my handbag until my shopping is packed away. Why would I risk having it stolen if I leave it to one side whilst packing my bags, I rarely have a coat on so have no pockets I could drop it into.
This scenario is not as stupid sounding when you think that someone could walk past, take the purse and be off out the store...I would have no chance of catching them. If people in the queue cannot wait a few seconds longer whilst I extricate my purse from my handbag...tough and the more I hear people chuntering behind me then the longer I will take.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 30-Jun-17 12:13:34

Moobox There you go, it was a guy! kind but not always on the same wavelength.

JanaNana Fri 30-Jun-17 12:20:01

Think that woman was quite rude....one thing I do is get hold of another of those divider things and put it right on the end of the conveyor belt so that anyone who is behind in the queue from us as we are loading our shopping knows that we still need space for everything. As the belt moves along we still have that shopping space . For the lady who said she struggles at the check out trying to pay while putting her handbag down, buy an inexpensive cross body bag..( a handbag that is secure over your body while keeping your hands free) these have various small pockets in them and you could put your purse in a particular pocket of it without having to search or feel flustered. Even if you only use it when doing supermarket shopping they are really useful. I have several of these ..bought online different colours as I am not a dressy up person and travel a lot so find these hands free bags really useful.

sunseeker Fri 30-Jun-17 12:21:36

Myym - I also keep my card in my handbag - but it is in a small zipped compartment that I can get to easily. I think the complaints are about those who have to dig around in their handbags looking for their purse or card holder. Why not put it at the top of the handbag and fasten the handbag?

goldengirl Fri 30-Jun-17 12:28:48

Oh glory! What a fiasco. Life is stressful enough. Prefer online grocery shopping though must admit that that can be stressful sometimes when a substitution is off the wall. No lifting, fiddling with a purse, or packing involved though and unpacking can be interesting if you've forgotten what you've ordered! smile

KatyK Fri 30-Jun-17 12:32:25

Exactly sunseeker It is a small, unimportant thing to whinge about but I try to be considerate to others.

Sulis Fri 30-Jun-17 12:33:15

OMG -shopping in a supermarket in France! My son was born in France 28 years ago, and we had a horticultural business. So my "day out" was shopping at the small local Intermarche. There the cashier took great delight in hurling the contents of my trolley to the packing area - bottles and all, to see if she could do it faster than I could pack them up and hopefully smash the bottles. She was a madwoman. However, things lightened up when my son got to 2 years old. He was so good looking and charmed all the females around. They used to offer him titbits from the delicatessen counter. He got so used to it that he got really picky about which cheese they gave him, and one day, disgusted with the offering, he said at the top of his voice "NON - ROQUEFORT"!!!!!

grandMattie Fri 30-Jun-17 12:34:44

me too , I hate the people who are in such a hurry that they don't check whether your trolley is empty. I usually mildly comment with a smile that "I haven't finished" and gently, unapologetically push their shopping back as far as I can. They are usually mortified [or at least I hope they are].
I very frequently let people with few items jump the queue; and most of all, I try very hard not to shop when I know that people who are working would be shopping.

Newquay Fri 30-Jun-17 12:36:03

DH always used to do our shopping as he retired before me. He has been incapacitated for 3 months after a THR (which went "tits up" in the words of his surgeon since you ask!) so I've been doing the shopping. As OP have said I choose a quiet time (Thurs morning) and do scan and shop. So it's packed as I go. I keep my debit/credit cards in my mob wallet in my pocket so easily to hand to pay-easy/peasy. It will be interesting to see DH's reaction when I show him when he's sufficiently recovered to shop againsmile lol!

Myym Fri 30-Jun-17 12:47:10

Sunseeker...my handbag is only big enough to hold my purse so not a problem finding it.
I still think life is too short to winge if someone takes a second or a minute to find a purse. If a person can't be prepared to show any patience ...use a self service till

Lilylilo Fri 30-Jun-17 12:48:44

I hate grocery shopping and my DH loves shopping of all sorts. I just let him do it. We discuss our menu for the week so he knows what to get, if he forgets anything i might get it later, i live it a big market town so plenty of opportunity when i'm out having coffee or lunch with a friend. He does get impatient with those who pfaff around with their purse at the til!!! I did all the shopping for years but now it's his turn and he loves it!

quizqueen Fri 30-Jun-17 12:54:23

When I am putting things on the conveyor belt, I position the 'separator bar' quite away along the belt area towards the end of it and then start loading on from the rear end, moving forward towards the cashier with the last few items. This ensures there is plenty of space for all my shopping. If anyone complains about anything, I go at a snail's pace with lots of chat to the cashier!

shysal Fri 30-Jun-17 13:32:17

I organize my goods on the belt in groups according to where they will go when I get home. This type of bag makes packing very easy. I can easily keep up with the cashier. I used to have these longer length ones, but being a short-ar*e I found they would drag on the ground when carried and were also rather heavy when full. I therefore got the shorter set, made for shallow trolleys, which actually work well in the deeper ones too. They are sold by Lakeland or by others on line. My card is removed from the wallet before reaching the till and tucked into a pocket. No probs!

hulahoop Fri 30-Jun-17 13:42:55

What really annoys me is when you have been in a queue a while and they open another till and people behind you get served before all those who have been queuing.

kathyd Fri 30-Jun-17 13:44:55

willsmadnan To say nothing about the other assistants who lean over your half-scanned shopping for a bisou and then chat for minutes and the cashier being unable to scan and chat at the same time.
The best time to supermarket shop in France is about 1.30 on a Tuesday.

Lewlew Fri 30-Jun-17 13:53:23

JanaNana Fri 30-Jun-17 12:20:01 I do this as our Sainsbury's is small.. not a Local, bigger, but still small. They have hardly any space between the end of the checkout and the start of the shelving in spite of a refit to be handicapped accessible.

I had back surgery so I bring a shopper with me to trek home, so I like to unpack my shopping trolley in the order that I pack the shopper. If not, I drag my stuff over to the next empty checkout and rearrange to get all in properly.

It is a scrum in some stores!