Gransnet forums

Chat

feeling guilty

(64 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 04-Jul-17 19:08:26

Does any one else get that guilty feeling when they just sit for an hour and do nothing apart from read the paper or watch tv during the afternoon of the day. Since I have retired two years ago i still cant shake this feeling off and convince myself its fine to do this.

Grannyknot Tue 04-Jul-17 19:12:00

Never. grin I revel in it.

grannylyn65 Tue 04-Jul-17 19:12:04

You'll soon get over it and wonder how you had time to work !

TwiceAsNice Tue 04-Jul-17 19:12:15

It's one of the pleasures of retiring. Enjoy as much as you like and remember how hard you worked before and think you deserve it.

Sar53 Tue 04-Jul-17 19:13:55

Oh yes very guilty, especially if OH comes in from work early. I don't know why as I only started getting my state pension 3 months ago when I was almost 64 and I have worked hard all my life. Love the tennis at the moment, it makes a change to have something decent on in the afternoon.

Ilovecheese Tue 04-Jul-17 19:27:21

Yes I do. Always feel as if I should be achieving something. Doesn't stop me doing it though! I just feel guilty afterwards.
I don't mind ironing as I watch a programme I have recorded while I do it, but find it very hard to do in the morning, as it is "an afternoon job"
I don't know why I feel like that it is certainly not pressure from anyone else, there is nothing my husband likes better than to see me taking it easy.
Perhaps because I am not getting my state pension yet, just occupational, and feel I should be looking for more freelance work.

Luckygirl Tue 04-Jul-17 19:41:22

Absolutely not - it is just brilliant!

kittylester Tue 04-Jul-17 19:49:45

I do. DH doesn't. I have no idea why I feel guilty but I hate sitting down in the day as I worry I'd never motivate myself again. I have to be busy all the time. I should ok d be thin really - alternatively, how enormous would I be if I did sit down! shock

Stansgran Tue 04-Jul-17 19:58:02

I feel guilty sitting down and watching the leaves sway but I do think it makes me feel better. I wish I could do nothing but watch tv without guilt like DH.

shysal Tue 04-Jul-17 20:24:08

I feel guilty if I sit on the sofa during the day, but at the laptop on the table with GN is fine! I live alone so nobody will be any wiser, but can't watch daytime TV or sit and read. I like to be busy outdoors or exercising, but still do little housework blush.

Alima Tue 04-Jul-17 20:29:46

I know what you mean about feeling guilty, sitting and relaxing. In my case I spent a lot of time reading, never watch TV during the day, that's when DH watches either sport or the oodles of stuff he has recorded. In my defence as I always wake at silly o'clock I have done loads of jobs before anyone else wakes up. The days still fly by!

BBbevan Tue 04-Jul-17 21:07:44

We have recently moved house and there is a lot to do to make it ours. Some things I can do like gardening and painting. Others I can't. I feel guilty when DH is constantly busy and I am knitting or cooking. I feel I should be helping him.

LadyGracie Tue 04-Jul-17 21:27:44

I still feel guilty after retiring 4 years ago if I sit and read or knit, or even just sit. While I was working I always spent time doing all the housework in the evenings so I'd have weekends free. Since I retired my housework gene seems to have departed, I do what I have to when I have to! Although the kitchen and bathrooms do get a thorough clean once a week! My DH finds it hard to sit down even though he has various medical conditions.

MawBroon Tue 04-Jul-17 21:31:15

I simply do not understand why anybody should feel guilty about what they do in their own time. What are we? Slaves? Robots? As intelligent adult women we are free to do what we like (as long as it doesn't frighten the horses)
There is no particular merit in being 100% busy you know?
(I am being absolutely serious.)

vampirequeen Tue 04-Jul-17 21:44:50

I never feel guilty. I even watch Jeremy Kyle...well OK that's a bit embarrassing but I still don't feel guilty grin

Synonymous Tue 04-Jul-17 22:09:39

In the beginning I had to work hard not to feel guilty aout not being busy 'doing'and have been so successful that I now revel in my total freedom. I had to get to grips with this as I retired early with ill health. I have since had to mentor DH in the art of 'guilt free retirement' and I am pleased to report that he has been a good pupil. grin

Swanny Tue 04-Jul-17 23:39:06

MawB As intelligent adult women we are free to do what we like (as long as it doesn't frighten the horses)

Oh I do so agree!

I am a great follower of the credo that says it doesn't have to be sparkling to be clean!

After (x) years I have managed to not kill anyone with my cooking or cleaning habits, so I don't believe in worrying now I live alone. I'm obviously extra careful when DGS is in my care but at other times if I don't feel like being Wonderwoman then I'm not grin

Too much cleanliness kills protection from common germs. The healthiest kids when I was growing up were the ones with snotty noses and the arse hanging out of their trousers! Some of my neighbours are up before 6am sweeping, scrubbing and then twiddling their thumbs fr the rest of the day, condemning those like me who take life at a more leisurely pace.

Maggiemaybe Tue 04-Jul-17 23:54:01

Not in the slightest. In fact, this morning I stayed in bed till 10 reading the latest GN Book Club book and eating my dippy egg (thank you, DH grin), only getting up then because it was time for Pop Master. Ambled out for lunch with the girls, did a bit of shopping, read the weekend papers and surfed the internet till it was time to go out to our pub quiz and drink wine. I haven't done a scrap of work all day and couldn't care less.

kittylester Wed 05-Jul-17 06:35:12

I didn't mention cleaning! shock

NanKate Wed 05-Jul-17 06:59:15

Maggie your day sounds absolutely perfect to me. smile

My DH is one of those people who is always busy with a list of jobs on his To Do List. He doesn't ever criticise me but I do feel guilty at times. Reading a book is far more important to me than housework.

Menopaws Wed 05-Jul-17 07:04:30

No I feel deserving if I sit down, me time is important to all of us. I spend my life doing right by others and if I look after myself I'm better for everyone else. I have just discover the revamped Hawaii 50 and keep watching ones I tape!! I'm not upsetting anyone and I have to sit through enough sport when husband is in that when he's out me and the dog go to Hawaii! It's pretty crap but easy watching

Oriel Wed 05-Jul-17 16:11:08

Yes, I feel guilty - I feel as though its a day wasted if I don't achieve something.

gerry86 Wed 05-Jul-17 17:03:53

Enjoy it, I'm so jealous

wildswan16 Wed 05-Jul-17 17:17:33

Absolutely not - we all need time and space to recharge ourselves. You will be healthier and happier for looking after yourself.

Daisyboots Wed 05-Jul-17 17:23:09

I have felt guilty about doing nothing ever since I was 11 years old and was walking crocodile file back to school from the swimming baths. We were told off for dawdling. She said every minute you waste you will never get back. It is lost. So every time I sit and do nothing that is always on my mind.