Gransnet forums

Chat

What should I do with this?

(75 Posts)
ChillGill Thu 20-Jul-17 17:37:53

My granddaughter (5) came home today with all the 'artwork' she's been doing at school. Many of the things were 'just for you, Grandma!' which was er...lovely. I mean the thought is obviously lovely but there is an awful amount of glitter and imagination going on and our house is not huge! She does have the memory of an elephant and I've been caught out before for 'losing' her gifts (via the recycling bin). I thought I could hide most of the paper bits somewhere unobtrusive...until she unveiled her piece de resistance! It looks like every egg box and cereal box from a month's worth of recycling stuck together. Apparently it is the palace she would like to live in one day with all of us although 'Grandma, you will be very, very old by then, maybe even dead.' What do I do with this monstrosity masterpiece?

Katek Thu 20-Jul-17 17:41:41

The spare room? Just in case it gets damaged of course!

Tizliz Thu 20-Jul-17 17:41:46

Until the castle I was going to suggest a scrap book. My OH laminated the first one and it is still on the wall, but there soon became too many.

How about photographing them all and making a album on the pc.

kittylester Thu 20-Jul-17 17:42:17

When Dh redid his study I persuaded him to cover one wall with cork tiles - a massive pinboard - so they go in there!!!

Nanabilly Thu 20-Jul-17 17:43:59

I keep my 5 year old grandsons masterpieces for a week or 3 and then tell him they broke .

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Jul-17 17:44:22

How lovely!!

Pictures get put on the fridge and freezer (held on with magnets) - models have to sit on the freezer or on a cupboard somewhere until they get thrown out fall to pieces.

My DM was ruthless about getting rid of things and I am afraid that I keep a lot of 'stuff' for far too long, it must be a reaction.

Auntieflo Thu 20-Jul-17 17:45:00

Could you keep one or two pieces? The castle, hmmm, have you got a cat/dog that might take a delight in sleeping on it ( squashing it)? I should keep it till it's recycling day, then absentmindedly lose it, then you can say with a perfectly straight face " I don't know where it's gone" sweetheart. Subterfuge ChillGill grin

gillybob Thu 20-Jul-17 17:45:51

Oh I do sympathize ChillGill , I get presented with lots of pictures, glittery offerings, egg box robots and everything in between by my 3 DGC too.

My solution is that I have a secret box. It sits on display up on a high shelf on the top of my dresser . They can't reach it but they see me putting things in it. They often ask if they can look in and I say "oh dear me no. It's a secret box. if I were to let you look in, things might disappear" I have told them that each of them can look in when they are 18 . It seems to work and they think (or do they?) that all of their offerings are in that box! Mind you lots of things really are too precious to throw out (like letters, special pictures etc) but you really can't keep everything can you ?

Auntieflo Thu 20-Jul-17 17:47:04

You are all so much nicer than me

ChillGill Thu 20-Jul-17 17:57:08

A Secret Box! That is exactly what I need. What a cunning plan GillyBob. I 'd hate for her to think I don't treasure the things she makes for me. I do, but not maybe all of them. At least not for more than a week wink
Ha - Auntiflo I've 'squashed' and 'lost' a few bits this year. It's impossible to tell which bits she'll remember though. She once caught sight of one of her creations scrunched up in the recycling bin and I had to blame the cat for breaking it. She did look a bit suspicious. My granddaughter, not the cat grin. The cat just looked resigned. She gets blamed for a lot of things. Usually deserved though.

phoenix Thu 20-Jul-17 18:34:07

If it's very "precious", you could always say you put it in the loft to keep it safe, and of course if she asked to see it, then you couldn't possibly get up into the loft today, as you have a bone in your leg wink

rosesarered Thu 20-Jul-17 18:40:11

The garage? Sounds a bit too large to go anywhere else.
I have various hatboxes on top of the wardrobes where special things go.Still got things that DC made in them as well as DGC.
I keep them for a while, then get rid of them in favour of newer items.They never remember the earlier things they made.

NanaandGrampy Thu 20-Jul-17 19:50:12

We photograph everything then register it ?. I put all the photos into one digital album on a digital photo frame and away we go.

You'd be surprised who we registered to, even the postman has gracefully accepted a cereal box space ship :-)

NanaandGrampy Thu 20-Jul-17 19:50:28

Re gifted nor registered lol

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Jul-17 19:53:02

you have a bone in your leg
When DH said that to DGD2 (aged 2) she looked at him in astonishment and said 'No you haven't!'.

Jalima1108 Thu 20-Jul-17 19:53:56

I've got hats in my hat boxes - is it time to throw them out?

Deedaa Thu 20-Jul-17 20:58:03

My grandad always used to tell me he'd got a bone in his leg grin GS1 has taken to doing animation now. It doesn't take up half as much room.

aggie Thu 20-Jul-17 21:07:26

I just love "bone in my leg !"

whitewave Thu 20-Jul-17 21:14:30

I had a "very special shelf" in the office, so it worked fine as they were on display, out if the way and when the shelf filled up we chose which ones could be replaced. It all worked well. I have kept some of the good ones along with my children's which no doubt will all be binned once I pop off!!

Jellybean31 Thu 20-Jul-17 21:33:54

I too have this problem. Mum always refuses to take any masterpieces home, especially any large models. I have a "washing line" hung along one wall and peg my grandchildren's paintings, drawings etc on to it. It's now full and dgd brings at least one model and several pictures home almost every day! God help me when the little one starts s nursery. I shall need a bigger house!

Everthankful Thu 20-Jul-17 22:29:11

My sister came to help out when I had a knee replacement and threw out a big bag of what she thought was boxes for recycling. Needless to say when my granddaughter came and asked for her Craft bag, it was nowhere to be seen! Had to explain that Aunty Pam mistakenly threw it out! Aunty Pam redeemed herself though and gave granddaughter a nice big selection of her spare card making stuff with lots of exciting cards, stickers, glitter and glue

grumppa Thu 20-Jul-17 22:29:55

Tell her it's so precious you'd like her to take it home and look after it for you.

radicalnan Fri 21-Jul-17 10:26:13

We used to have trouble with fairies stealing from us.never caught the blighters but they had many an art work.

ctussaud Fri 21-Jul-17 10:32:01

You might make a rule of "one piece up at a time", so that the latest one supplants the one before.

Old masterpieces make wonderful gift wrap, especially at Christmas, and the children might embellish the wrapped presents further with even more glitter and so on.

Lewlew Fri 21-Jul-17 10:32:21

gillybob Thu 20-Jul-17 17:45:51

I love that... will have to do the same as we live in a flat! Thank you! grin