Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you ever wish...

(51 Posts)
vampirequeen Fri 21-Jul-17 07:51:36

...that you had Homer Simpson's ability to tune out of things that bore him?

Yesterday I had to attend a Y6 leavers service and a Y6 pantomime production. I know...really lovely....children doing their best etc. But in reality why do we go? Because we want to see our own child not everyone else's.

What would I have given for Homer's brain? Of course my child is cute and absolutely brilliant but most other children are dire. Watching other people's children singing out of key, 'dancing' and 'acting' is soooooo boring. Add that to hard church pews and hard school chairs set out too closely so you're virtually sitting on the next person make it absolute torture.

After the events we all lie to each other. Your son/daughter was brilliant. I loved it when your son/daughter forgot their lines and began to ad lib. When we mean the exact opposite.

Attending shows and services is one of the things we suffer for the love of our children but wouldn't it be lovely if we could only tune in for the bits we want to see/hear and totally tune out to the rest?

Yes I know I'm a total misery guts grin

NfkDumpling Fri 21-Jul-17 07:57:01

No you're not. Totally agree. And I'm afraid I do tune out. I wonder if it's being an only child I learnt how to at an early age having to sit through boring grown up things.

kittylester Fri 21-Jul-17 07:58:27

Made me smile vq grin Been there so many times!

I went to DGS1's play this week and, of course, he was brilliant. grin But I was mesmerised by his friend - blond curls, enormous smile and brilliant jazz hands - a star in the making!

Nana3 Fri 21-Jul-17 08:09:47

Ha ha, and sitting on chairs made for 5 year olds watching all those nativity plays year after year. Cute but.......

maddy629 Fri 21-Jul-17 10:33:31

i love going to these things, you are lucky to be asked. I don't think you are a misery guts but..........

GadaboutGran Fri 21-Jul-17 10:44:13

While sitting through it for a few sessions per year for a few years, remember we may be complete bores one day to our grandchildren, if we aren't already.

petra Fri 21-Jul-17 10:48:54

I love them. It takes me back to my school days where plays, singing, and hockey were the only things I enjoyed.

welshmaiden Fri 21-Jul-17 10:52:02

I would love to go to my grandchildren's performances but the school has a strict 2 tickets per family policy as space is so limited. Instead I get to watch the dvd from the comfort of my own sofa smile

coast35 Fri 21-Jul-17 10:54:28

I absolutely love these occasions and feel honoured to be asked along. My little grandson is a little shy at these rather public events and it has been wonderful watching him come out of his shell. Of course I like watching my grandson the best but I also enjoy seeing all his little friends play their part. If you don't like it make an excuse and don't go. I'm sure their will be other grandparents who will appreciate your ticket because they are usually in short supply.

grandMattie Fri 21-Jul-17 11:01:41

I always attended the things I was invited to - shows, plays, nativities in school/church, sports day, fetes...
With the grandchildren, I haven't been invited to anything. I really regret that, however boring, I used to enjoy my DCs pride in their achievements, and now by extension, my GCs. In fact, with the GDs, I don't feel part of the family at all - usually finding out stuff on Fb, or through their uncles.
Not whinging, just stating a fact.

Musicelf Fri 21-Jul-17 11:09:43

I love going, but rarely get a chance now, as we're too far away. I used to produce shows and concerts at school in my career as a music teacher, and learned to value every contribution from other people's children. Maybe I love seeing them now because I know the work that went on to produce it?

blueberry1 Fri 21-Jul-17 11:10:57

I used to love the plays,etc. that my children and grandchildren were in.So much so,that I often had a tear in my eye!

JackyB Fri 21-Jul-17 11:19:34

You don't get this sort of thing in Germany, and I would love to be able to go and see my grandchildren perform.
(Even if there was something to see, they are too far away...)

I always enjoyed going to the gigs when my children were older and in the school band - I knew most of the other children involved and enjoyed watching them, too.

Even if none of the children are known to me, I enjoy a school play.

So I say, enjoy them while you can and take lots of photographs.

Scribbles Fri 21-Jul-17 11:22:08

You are not alone, VQ. These productions are sooooo tedious and yet we all feel duty bound to show up and applaud. Even as a small child, I hated the awful Sunday school concerts and school nativity plays we had to perform every year. So boring! It was a great relief when my own offspring grew up and I didn't have to endure any more.

Smithy Fri 21-Jul-17 11:58:37

I just feel honoured too be asked! Its worth putting up with seeing the other kids (sometimes they are really funny) just to catch of my little grand daughter in her angel outfit our whatever. Did the same when my grandson was little.

adaunas Fri 21-Jul-17 12:03:06

Love these events-if I know even a few of the children. You can be (silently) supercritical of the bad acts and super appreciative of the good ones. Your child might be the best , but they appreciate your presence even if they aren't the leading light.
It's the end if the year, so I've just been to a school play (followed by hordes if excited children asking "Did you see me?" "Did you like my dance?" " Did you get the joke I did?" etc, etc.
Then a Talent show- I went to see the contortionist, but was fascinated by a 5 year old doing a routine with hip movements to die for and amazing children who could do a dance routine whilst hula hooping.
I could willingly have tuned out of some offerings, but they were soooo earnest in their efforts. I pass the time thinking how they could improve the acts. I often wish I could hold up a card saying SMILE!
2 leavers services came next, both very moving but one less enjoyable. The school refuses to have microphones for children reading out their memories so some were inaudible. The most impressive thing was how well the other children sat throughout the session. I appreciate the chance. One family live 6 hours away, so chances to see them involve a long drive and an overnight stay.

Witzend Fri 21-Jul-17 12:14:17

Oh, yes, though I will admit to having seen one or two really good productions - Captain Noah and his Amazing Floating Zoo was one that dds' primary school did many years ago. The music was brilliant and I really wish I had a video of it.

Also I do make an exception for any little ones' Nativity plays - hearing a load of wee ones singing Away in a Manger will invariably have me groping for the tissues. Though that's 'proper' Nativity plays of course, not 'progressive' versions.

Afraid to say the boredom doesn't altogether disappear as they get a lot older. At graduation ceremonies you have to sit and watch hundreds of others go up to shake hands, when the only one you're really interested in is your own. Dd1's first degree ceremony seemed particularly interminable - was glad to find dd2's considerably shorter!

Elrel Fri 21-Jul-17 12:42:15

Vampire - there's just one good reason for going to school shows and events - your child wants you there. That's the most important thing to them, whether their person is there to see them or not.
As a teacher and a family member I've seen the disappointment of 'My mom never came.' They don't forget easily.
One the other hand, as they get older, sometimes it all changes and you're really not welcome! If you can't enjoy the efforts of the children just remember there'll come a day when you don't even know what's going on in school!

missdeke Fri 21-Jul-17 12:46:06

I do love going to these things, except for the low chair thingy, a bit difficult when you have a spinal condition! I love to watch the other kids too, some are so confident, some shy and the teachers can sometimes bring out the absolute best in kids at these performance based shows. I must admit though that 3 of my kids had the same teacher (different years) and it seems the only play he ever did was James and the Giant Peach, never thought I'd get to say I was bored with Roald Dahl!

Alidoll Fri 21-Jul-17 12:55:16

Simple - don't go. Seriously if it's that tedious then do something else and give other people more space on the rock hard pews.

Imperfect27 Fri 21-Jul-17 12:55:20

Love the honesty and humour of the OP. Yup - had to do it all 4 times over and it gets worse with the secondary school concerts and prize-givings! [hmm) I suppose the only bonus as they get older is that my backside could actually fit on the chair!

W11girl Fri 21-Jul-17 13:33:54

Don't mind the kids things at all. I have to admit however, I always tune out when the priest delivers his sermon at mass..Oops.I have just committed a sin and will have to go to confession...again!!

Sheilasue Fri 21-Jul-17 13:37:06

We do because we know our children would be disappointed if we didn't go and we would feel guilty.
I have just attended our gd graduation (an American thing) but it was really enjoyable.

nipsmum Fri 21-Jul-17 14:11:02

I'm so fortunate. I usually get invited to watch school displays , opera choirs, recitals, whatever involves my. granddaughters .I discovered a while ago that it is only for a few short years and they are so delighted to have parents and grandparents come to watch their performances. Okay they are not always good actors or singers but they have put so much work into learning lines and rehearsals that it's the least you can do. Smile a huge smile and bear it all. It will mean so much to them !!!!

Tokyojo3 Fri 21-Jul-17 14:34:59

I'm about to put the cat among the pigeons here.... having been a teacher for over thirty years I can say with some conviction that the amount of time and effort put in by both the staff and children into various types of public performance is huge. Some children find it so difficult and do well to even appear on the stage. I have been at performances where people with this bad and selfish attitude have seen the "bit" their child was In and then WALKED OUT! So sorry you aren't intelligent enough to appreciate the work these young children have done and you had better hope you don't find yourself in one of MY class presentations and look bored!