Gransnet forums

Chat

what makes u feel virtuous?

(82 Posts)
Morgana Fri 28-Jul-17 10:36:45

Feeling very virtuous after clearing out the junk cupboard yesterday! It's still got plenty of junk in it; but we've taken 3 bags to charity shop and have two to go into recycling. Taken me ages to get round to doing it!

Blinko Sun 30-Jul-17 17:42:47

Just finished off the top layer of chocs... and discovered the layer beneath. BUT haven't succumbed to temptation. Yet!

AlieOxon Sun 30-Jul-17 17:20:27

Even in twos, I seem to be making my way through the packet....

Imperfect27 Sun 30-Jul-17 16:08:18

Whoops, third biscuit.

Was once told 'You have a will of iron ... iron filings!' grin

narrowboatnan Sun 30-Jul-17 14:31:06

I feel exhausted now I've read all your virtuous deeds. Going to have to have a lie down to recover

Imperfect27 Sun 30-Jul-17 14:06:30

Oh dear Kim and Caroline, this thread has had the opposite effect on me ... I am Procrastinating with a capital P today ... even though the house looks like a tip as I was poorly early last week and busy for the end of it. Always another Monday though ...

I think knowing when to allow yourself to 'be still' is also a virtue ... (hopefully ...)

annodomini Sun 30-Jul-17 13:23:14

Walking past the chocolate aisle in Aldi (or Waitrose).

AlieOxon Sun 30-Jul-17 12:45:46

Much EASIER to use.....

Kim19 Sun 30-Jul-17 12:32:21

Yes Alie, correct. I do have another one. This is simply me moving into the 'modern' cordless and lightweight arena.

Caroline64 Sun 30-Jul-17 11:52:48

OK this is a coincidence! As of yesterday I have decided to try to tackle a job that I have been putting off most days (depending on health). Yesterday it was cleaning our Venetian blind in the bathroom; today it was sorting the 'soxbox' (26 down to 12). Now I had better make a diary I can see that!

AlieOxon Sun 30-Jul-17 11:46:26

Hey, this is what you got it for...?

Kim19 Sun 30-Jul-17 10:44:29

Amazingly, as a result of this thread, I've moved into overdrive on 'should dos' and I plan to milk this until it inevitably disappears. Today's achievement is the successful assembling of a vacuum cleaner which has lain in its box for.......TOO long. I'm not at all techie and had assumed it would come ready to use. Silly me. I'm now watching it charging with the dubious pleasure of carpet cleaning at the end of it. Ah well......can't win 'em all.

Imperfect27 Sun 30-Jul-17 08:46:45

Exactly Alie - it is a fine line, requiring fine judgement and that is why I am VERY virtuous! grin

AlieOxon Sun 30-Jul-17 08:33:38

Two choc bics ok, three bad!!!!

DanniRae Sun 30-Jul-17 08:21:07

Lilyflower confused !!

Imperfect27 Sun 30-Jul-17 08:16:07

Right here, now today ...not having a THIRD chocolate digestive with my SECOND large mug of strong coffee ... see my grumpy old woman posts and I think I am showing a lot of restraint grin

Greyduster Sun 30-Jul-17 08:00:13

Having fish and chips, when we share a large (and they are large) fish and I give him the nice end because he doesn't like the tail end, but neither do I! I don't feel so virtuous if he then wastes any of it, though!!

maddy629 Sun 30-Jul-17 07:11:19

I lost my passport and so decided to see if it was in the cupboard under the stairs, sadly it wasn't but a lot of junk got shifted, same with corner cupboard in dining room, never did find passport so had to buy another but I felt very virtuous and rewarded myself with wine and cupcake

Lilyflower Sun 30-Jul-17 05:43:36

I see that a link between these above posts on this thread is that they are to do with tackling something which has been long awaited and also dreaded,

Another connection between many posts is the subtext of negative emotions (anger, contempt, disappointment, frustration) which Gransnet posters feel towards spouses who refuse to grow up and similarly rid themselves of their own real and emotional lumber. Men seem to be more self indulgent and immature when it comes to 'moving on'. They prioritise their lumber over that of their wives' possessions. It is also clear from reading some comments and posts that many men use their 'stuff' to control and vex their wives.

My husband has seventeen pairs of shoes under his side of the bed, many unworn for years. He has also kept his father's huge tool chest of drawers in the way in our garage when the man died decades ago.

I try not to get too angry with him and to ignore it. He has tried me sorely on occasions, for instance, when he used to take things out of the bin ( used milk cartons etc.) which I put in. I did object about that and now, if he still does it I am not aware of it.

I suppose the anger comes from the underlying supposition that, if it's virtuous to have a clear out, then it is 'bad' to hoard and clutter.

It is a strange psychological phenomenum that we attach moral significance to domestic tasks is it not?

Lilyflower Sun 30-Jul-17 05:28:36

When I cleared out a spare roomful of doubled stacked shelves of books and baskets and boxes full of them too, I felt an overwhelming sense of relief. I also threw out old greetings cards I had been hoarding but which I had never, ever looked at and sorted out family photographs discarding the frames which had been jamming up cupboards. I cleaned and tidied the room and rearranged things so they looked better and cleaner.

The whole process made me feel incredibly good and, yes, I did feel 'virtuous'. I suppose linking moral goodness to a humdrum task is about the effort involved in conquering one's reluctance to tackle something necessary but emotionally unpleasant as well as time consuming.

instagran Sat 29-Jul-17 23:13:55

You remind me of when I used to.make soup for myself and the children, and my 9 year old son said how lovely, can we have this again, what's it called? My reply; "Fridge Cleaning Soup"!

Jalima1108 Sat 29-Jul-17 20:54:37

I just had a very satisfying dinner without any carbohydrates.
Then I finished with a Magnum
It was a Mini Magnum (a Minimum?)

Jalima1108 Sat 29-Jul-17 20:53:08

Would you like to come and stay for a month gillybob?
Please?

Elegran Sat 29-Jul-17 20:25:12

That could be the same recipe as my Fridge Soup. It starts "Look in the fridge . . ."

phoenix Sat 29-Jul-17 20:18:27

Making what we call "random vegetable soup" I not only feel virtuous, but I also get a slight "domestic goddess" feeling blush

Barmyoldbat Sat 29-Jul-17 20:06:50

IT must be catching, started this week going through all the drawers and my wardrobe. So now we have room in the wardrobe for more and five of the drawers are declutted with room for more. I don't do filing, my oh does, but my stuff just gets put in a box if it could be important. Cleaning, well, we invite friends around now and again so we have to do a clean! I tend to feel virtuous if I walk to our local shops and even more so if I walk back as we live on top of a big.