Gransnet forums

Chat

Anybody give employment advice?

(39 Posts)
Newquay Mon 07-Aug-17 21:12:31

I have a dear friend, aged 62, on her own. The small family firm she works for suddenly moved from not too far to where she lives to nearly an hour away which is closer to where all the family lives but not her. She said straight away that they would have to pay her petrol which they did. Trouble is, it's added this extra two hours a day onto her working day. In addition the daughter of the family has been on maternity leave since Feb and she's just been expected to pick up the extra work. Last week she suddenly, at work, got chest pains. She went to the doc that night who sent her to A&E for EEG which was, mercifully, clear but doc said it's obviously stress and to take a couple of days off which she did as she was exhausted. So. . . . Wise old birds. . . . Would she be entitled to say she's given it a go but needs travelling time to be part of her working day?

Anya Tue 05-Sep-17 16:34:28

Sorry if Newquay has already answered this question but is it possible for her to work from home 1-2 days a week? In this age of the internet and broadband it may not b necessary for her to be based in an office.

Newquay Tue 05-Sep-17 16:16:41

This commuting was "forced" on her when firm moved. The rest of the (family) firm now live nearby but she now has this tiring commute.

jevive73 Mon 04-Sep-17 09:51:36

Surely only if travelling is part of the job as in visiting clients. Not just commuting which everyone does?

Newquay Mon 04-Sep-17 08:45:47

Hello allatsea. Have spoken to friend. She won't approach employer any further. She fears the firm is so shaky it may well go bust in any event so she doesn't want to rock the boat. In any event she doesn't like to stand up for herself so it's not in her nature to push any further. She will just put up, sadly. Thank you so much for your offer of help.

Newquay Mon 21-Aug-17 09:20:39

Well, surprise, surprise! On returning from the family holiday leaving friend to try to do everything, she was given a pay rise! Now that says to me that they know they're putting on her AND want to keep her too!
I've suggested that, in writing, she says she wants it back dating to when the mat leave started that she's been covering and, in addition, needs some relief from these long travelling hours esp with winter approaching. . . . . But she won't, sigh!

Newquay Sun 13-Aug-17 18:19:04

You've hit the nail on the head there Maryeliza! I'm convinced some women have "doormat" engraved on their foreheads that only certain others-usually bullies of one sort or another-can read.
I just wouldn't be treated like that no matter what the circumstances. She has been like most of her life so as you say she just accepts it-drives me bonkers! Especially when it all goes wrong and I get the "woe is me"!

maryeliza54 Sun 13-Aug-17 18:14:35

You are a good friend to her but she sounds, sadly, like a lost cause. I would hazard a guess that she is as exploited as she is she is because they know she'll just accept it. Bullies recognise this weakness in others and use it to their advantage. I think your role is just going to be picking up the pieces when it all falls apart - it's hard as a friend to witness a friend being 'abused' and not be able to make it better.

Newquay Sun 13-Aug-17 17:53:34

Sent summary of suggestions. . . . Reply just received-she feels they will just laugh at her!

Laine21 Fri 11-Aug-17 22:28:12

Not sure what type of work your friend does, but if it is admin based, is there a possibility of being able to do some working from home a couple of afternoons a week?

Newquay Fri 11-Aug-17 21:53:58

Thanks for your helpful advice which I'm just summarising to send to her. She is in dire straits financially so cannot accept redundancy or part time working. She has had a tough week this week additionally with a close family bereavement so it's not been appropriate for me to pass this on yet but I will. She's not in a Union and is so downtrodden generally I fear she'll just carry on as she is until her health finally cracks. Will try to get her to PM you allatsea-not sure how we'd do that, don't think she's on GN but will ask if she's willing first and get back to you.

twiglet77 Wed 09-Aug-17 00:00:36

I am so sorry for your friend. I am a year younger, also with a family firm planning to relocate nearly an hour away, an employer treating all his worried staff with contempt.

We have the option of statutory redundancy and this might be something your friend can look into. I'd be surprised if they agree to pay for her travelling time - higher paid staff at my place are offered jobs at the new location but with significant pay cuts.

I found the A C A S helpline most unhelpful and it has been suggested that Citizens' Advice are worth talking to. When there is no union representation in a small family firm they can assume they have their workforce over a barrel and it is a frightening and upsetting dynamic.

Good luck to your friend, she's lucky to have your support.

Theoddbird Tue 08-Aug-17 22:45:31

If ya don't ask ya don't get. She can but ask. They might say yes or meet her half way with say an hour of the travelling being part of her work day. Worth a try.

allatsea Tue 08-Aug-17 21:29:42

As an HR professional I would be happy to talk through her situation. If she sends me a pm, I'd be happy to advise

Newquay Tue 08-Aug-17 18:54:34

Ooh you're all so helpful. I'll summarise what you've all said and pass it onto her. I fear she'll just carry on as she is. She cannot afford to earn less sadly and, of course, she's one of the women whose retirement has been pushed back. Thank you all so much.

Daddima Tue 08-Aug-17 17:12:11

ACAS helpline is very helpful.

(0300 123 1100)

GrannyBing Tue 08-Aug-17 17:03:20

Similar relocation happened in my company before I retired. Staff whose journey to work took over an hour longer were given 2 options. Either work the same hours in a 4 day week, or be compensated with a mileage allowance (taxable). We thought this was fair and reasonable. Most people chose a shorter working week, perhaps your friend could do the same? Some who didn't like the longer working day left when they got the chance. I'm afraid very many people have a long commute to work these days, over an hour not unusual. Is there any chance she'll get used to it? I rather enjoyed my journeys with the radio or a cd for company, gave me chance to wind-down!

Hm999 Tue 08-Aug-17 16:31:42

The chest pains and excessive work load may give her leverage to temporarily change her contract until family daughter is back from maternity leave as a Plan B if above advice does not bear fruit.
Good luck

grandtanteJE65 Tue 08-Aug-17 14:41:42

Is your friend in a union? If so, she should get them to help renegotiate her terms of employment. That is, if she wants to continue working, if early retirement isn't an option for her.
If she really needs to keep this job, then she obviously is badly placed to negotiate either shorter working hours or anything else. And at 62 it can be difficult finding something else.
The best bargaining chip would undoubtedly be, if she could find a job nearer home, because then she could tell her present employers that if they want to keep her, they will need to lighten her workload in one way or another.

I know it's a long chance, but reading job adverts might be a good thing.

hallgreenmiss Tue 08-Aug-17 14:34:04

Your friend needs to put it on record that her Dr said the stress made her ill. She should seek some employment law advice from a solicitor or Citizens' Advice. If she cannot negotiate better terms and/or becomes too ill to work she could bring a claim for constructive dismissal. Alternatively it could become a disability issue which her employer is obliged to address. Tell her to get the correct advice.

W11girl Tue 08-Aug-17 14:16:34

Personally I think it would make no difference including travelling time as part of her working hours. Its obviously too much for her whilst at work because of the alleged amount of extra work she has to do. Staffing appears to be the issue.

ClaraB Tue 08-Aug-17 13:26:43

I think if at all possible it would be good for your friend to mention two days a week working from home. I wouldn't suggest going part-time as although this often results in less hours and less pay but with the same workload - I know as this happened to me.

craftynan Tue 08-Aug-17 11:59:41

I agree with bluekitchen's idea of working from home but would be inclined to ask for a minimum of 2 days a week. As far as the fuel costs are concerned, is she just receiving a payment for petrol? If so it might be better to try to negotiate a fixed rate per mile (the current standard rate is 41p per mile) which includes a small amount for wear and tear.

maryeliza54 Tue 08-Aug-17 11:47:38

As an employed person you cannot get any tax relief or allowances on travelling to and from work including car costs. No help there I'm afraid

ajanela Tue 08-Aug-17 11:39:22

If she reduces her hours she will be out of pocket and most likely doing nearly the same amount of work. The family have all gained at least an hour each by being nearer work, reducing their travelling costs, wear and tear on their cars and giving them more free time.

I think she should ask that at least one hour a day of her travelling time should be work time and arrive or leave earlier depending on which is better for all parties. Travelling costs are different to claiming your petrol. Working from home is another option if possible.

glammanana Tue 08-Aug-17 10:40:26

Newquay Just a wee bit off topic,make sure your friend knows that the extra 2 hrs travelling will make more wear & tear on her car and extra petrol so she should claim on her tax for the relief on a yearly basis,its not a lot but worth having.