Gransnet forums

Chat

Autumn has arrived

(8 Posts)
M0nica Sun 13-Aug-17 19:05:23

On the last two days I have seen the sun and it has been shedding a very yellow Autumn light and it is not as strong as summer sun. It took until mid-afternoon to dry the dew off the grass so that I could cut it. There are a lot of horse chestnuts near us and most have brown leaves because they have chestnut tree disease so the glint of brown among the green of other trees adds to the autumnal feel.

The most potent sign of autumn is the black berries.The early ones usually start to ripen in late July/ early August. I usually pick what I can as I go for my walk each day, rarely more than a few ounces each day, particularly in the early season like now. But this year, they seem to have gone mad, Blackberry patches that usually do not ripen until September are now dripping with ripe berries and I picked over 2lbs one morning and over a 1lb on several other days. I assume the season will be shorter this year, over by mid-September, rather than straggling on into October

whitewave Sun 13-Aug-17 19:17:17

Just come back from picking blackberries. Yes everything is dripping with fruit. Apple trees are laden, plums dripping. It is a wonderful harvest this year. The farmer was busy with his enormous combine creating a load of dust as we wandered by. But still hot enough for a sleeveless top, and for the dog to keep asking for a drink.

High on the South Downs looking out southwards, the sea was a Mediterranean blue today, absolutely delightful.
We were followed for ages by a couple of buzzards meowing to each other. Walked west to Cissbury Ring and back. An Iron Age fort.

MrsJamJam Sun 13-Aug-17 19:22:37

Autumn is certainly here in Devon. Lots of fruit but sadly the heat has gone out of the sun. I am off to southern Greece to get HOT!

silverlining48 Sun 13-Aug-17 19:33:53

Its been very hot today here in kent.

MiniMouse Sun 13-Aug-17 19:47:18

Noticed a Rowan tree full of berries yesterday.

Oriel Sun 13-Aug-17 20:01:23

I walk up on Cissbury ring and the area round it most days and I've found the same regarding the blackberries and the trees turning into autumn colours. The summer seemed to start earlier than usual - I'd hoped it would mean a lovely long summer but it seems that autumn is arriving early too.

rosesarered Sun 13-Aug-17 20:35:17

Not that keen on blackberries, but we have been harvesting the Bramleys and other apples from our trees and I made enough apple crumbles this morning to half fill the freezer.
This afternoon was quite hot and Summery and I enjoyed sitting out in the shade with a book.Autumn can wait!

Greyduster Sun 13-Aug-17 21:13:52

There are masses of hazelnuts in the lanes bordering where we live - a better crop than last year's, which were delicious. Hope the squirrels will leave me some! My neighbour brought me round a huge bag of eating plums today from his tree, which is dripping with them this year. Mine has produced about thirty plums just three years.