Gransnet forums

Chat

What is it with hairdressers' mirrors!

(72 Posts)
Oriel Fri 18-Aug-17 10:42:35

I don't know if I'm the only one but I find it quite shocking when I view myself sitting in front of hairdressers' mirrors!

In my quest to try and get my hair sorted out I've been to four hairdressers all in different salons and the mirror situation has been the same in each... I look dreadful!

Now I'm not so conceited enough to think that I'm a great beauty but nor am I plain but the reflections in salons seem to highlight my every flaw. Anyone else found that?

phoenix Fri 18-Aug-17 10:53:42

I try to avoid mirrors Oriel but it's impossible at the hairdressers!

I was in M&S the other week, and for a brief moment wondered what on earth my mother was doing in there......

devongirl Fri 18-Aug-17 10:54:05

Yes! Is it because they need really bright lighting when they do hair treatments e.g. colouring?

aggie Fri 18-Aug-17 11:22:31

I got my hair cut yesterday , and blow dry , was enjoying the chst and only glanced in the mirror as I left , looked fine , but this am I can see it is too short [sigh] it is standing on end ! and I only suit hats if a bit of hair is showing sad

devongirl Fri 18-Aug-17 11:25:34

Oh aggie, been there and got the T-shirt! Also can't see well without my glasses so no idea what my hair looks like as the session goes on.

annemarg Sat 19-Aug-17 09:23:26

I've just started going to a new hairdresser and I'm very pleased with the way they do my hair BUT when I look in the mirror I see this extremely elderly old crone with deep wrinkles who looks very strange when she is talking! It is quite horrific! However, I will just have to get used to it but I must admit it is a bit demoralising!!!

tiredoldwoman Sat 19-Aug-17 09:27:34

Yes, I agree , I'm delighted that its not just happening to me . I started to put on makeup to go for a haircut in desperation but it just makes things look worse ! Now I stay home and cut my own !!

radicalnan Sat 19-Aug-17 09:33:23

I agree. I have found a hairdressers now, that is down a little alley way so at least the whole town doesn't see me sitting there with my double chins floodlit and foils in.

Esspee Sat 19-Aug-17 09:33:31

It is probably the only time I look closely at my face in the mirror and like you I don't much appreciate what I see!

Liz46 Sat 19-Aug-17 09:36:36

I don't like what I see in the hairdresser's mirror either but the M&S double mirror where you can see your bottom as you bend over to try on trousers is even worse.

Smithy Sat 19-Aug-17 09:40:35

I agree Liz46 - fitting room mirrors are the pits! I hate seeing my profile, I look like the 3 witches of Macbeth rolled into one (in my opinion)

ninathenana Sat 19-Aug-17 09:40:57

I use a magnify mirror to do my makeup so am only too aware of my flaws but I agree hairdressers mirrors are aagghhh !
I can't avoid looking because I chat to my lovely hairdresser of 15 yrs in the mirror.

Teetime Sat 19-Aug-17 09:43:35

I try to make sure I have done my make up properly before having to face myself in a hairdressers mirror. I once gave up on a good hairdressers as they had full length mirrors and it was when I had a LOT of extra weight on.

hapgran Sat 19-Aug-17 09:55:52

Phoenix , I often think of the rhyme - ' mirror mirror on the wall, I am my mother after all!'

Jaycee5 Sat 19-Aug-17 10:02:56

Phoenix I sympathise. There is an old woman who follows me around wearing the same clothes as me that I catch in a mirror sometimes. It is very annoying of her.

Persistentdonor Sat 19-Aug-17 10:07:22

Oh Hapgran that did make me smile!!

I am still struggling with getting so much older. My 8 year old grandaughter seems to be obsessed by my age, and after a recent birthday I found myself telling her that I am STILL NOT as old as GREAT grand-ma. smile

Katek Sat 19-Aug-17 10:15:52

What's worse is when you see your father's face looking back at you!!

Kittye Sat 19-Aug-17 10:26:47

Katek that's what I see ?

Jalima1108 Sat 19-Aug-17 10:34:30

Oriel I agree

I think 'Surely that haggard old woman is not me, I didn't look that bad when I left home' shock And that's even without my specs on!
I'm going next week - nice cut (I hope,not always true), nice blow dry, pity about the face grin

Playermojo007 Sat 19-Aug-17 10:36:22

I spent 11 years being an hairdresser and I want to tell everyone that we hate spending everyday infront of a mirror. I had mental health depression and was very down on myself so found it difficult to like seeing myself.
I ALSO WANT PEEPS TO KNOW. That when we look in tge nirror to chat to you we do not look ar peoples wrinkles or dark circles or teenage acne or facial scars etc etc. But we actually look and talk to that beautiful smile that smiles back at us. We do it all day and do not judge people looks because we all have iur own insecurities about ourselves. smile

Jalima1108 Sat 19-Aug-17 10:37:44

the M&S double mirror where you can see your bottom as you bend over to try on trousers is even worse.
Oh yes, the M&S back view shock
Why has the weight I lost re-appeared in the M&S mirror?

moobox Sat 19-Aug-17 10:58:11

It's not just the back view in the mirrors in changing rooms, it is the lighting above them in places like TK Maxx. My bedroom must have kind lighting or something!

Youngeil Sat 19-Aug-17 11:00:52

I solved this problem by having a super hairdresser come home to do my hair. Always a wonderful surprise when I look in the mirror when she has finished.

Luckygirl Sat 19-Aug-17 11:03:44

So this is why I never go to a hairdresser! grin

HMarie Sat 19-Aug-17 11:26:47

One of my sons has hair so silver that, to his horror, he was once taken for his 12-year-old son's grandfather. But my hair (the only bit of me that isn't disintegrating at a rate of knots!) is still mid-brown – which sometimes causes people the same age as me to think I'm much younger than them.

However, on the rare occasions when I go to the hairdresser's, lo and behold, that old biddy in the mirror has scraggy shoulder-length GREY hair. And the rear-view mirror in my car, with its horrible anti-glare filter, also highlights every grey hair, even though they're not at all noticeable otherwise. So maybe it's to do with mirrors themselves, not just lighting.