Gransnet forums

Chat

Are we giving ourselves a bad name?

(50 Posts)
LyndaW Sat 19-Aug-17 09:01:46

At the moment there seems to be an awful lot of moaning in the discussions. We 'older people' already have a reputation for being moaners, are we living up to the expectation? I'm not talking about the bereavements and serious situations obviously which definitely have their place. I just wonder if we could do with being a bit more upbeat? It would cheer me up anyway. Just a thought.

LyndaW Sat 19-Aug-17 21:21:48

Not at all. My OP - if you read it - was actually an invitation for us all to be more positive not less so. Be great to see more uplifting threads is all.
The hairdressers thread I think is actually very funny and tongue in cheek 'moaning' so I'm all for more of those smile

Jalima1108 Sat 19-Aug-17 21:05:20

I think the moan about the jumper was the most important topic of the day and I am going to seriously consider taking mine back to M&S and getting a refund.

It will occupy my thoughts for the rest of the day.

GracesGranMK2 Sat 19-Aug-17 20:38:55

Well you've made me laugh LyndaW. You think there is too much moaning so you start a thread to moan about it grin

Eloethan Sat 19-Aug-17 19:21:04

I must say I'm a bit perplexed as to which threads are considered to contain a lot of "moaning", though I agree there have previously been several threads containing much moaning about younger people.

At the moment the current threads that have received a response exceeding 20 contributors and which don't contain any, or much, negativity are:

Welcome to Gransnet
Word Games (5)
Revisting food from youth
What book are you reading now?
Gardening corner
Gransnet Cafe

That leaves general subjects:

Concern re book containing explicit sexual material
Bereavement threads (2)
Accused of being nosy neighbour
Concerns about amount of plastic on products
Sharing pictures of children on line
Hairdressers' mirrors (I had a moan on this one)
Bruce Forsyth
Relationship Support
Discussion re toilet rolls

Apart from the hairdressers' mirrors thread, and possibly the relationship support threads, none of these can really be described as containing a degree of "moaning", though they may contain sad subject matter or views that others disagree with.

That mainly leaves the current affairs/politics threads:

Sarah Champion's resignation
Barcelona attack
Govt. watch 2
Jacob Rees-Mogg
Our country post-Brexit
Does Trump have a point?

These political threads naturally elicit some quite strong views at times and considerable disagreement but I wouldn't describe that as "moaning".

I think there is more chance of people looking at Gransnet and thinking how boring it is when over 80 people responded to a thread relating to which way a toilet roll should be put on its holder.

I did enjoy the cartoons on this thread though and would like more of that sort of thing - jokes and cartoons used to be a much more regular feature.

MamaCaz Sat 19-Aug-17 18:44:37

A thread moaning about moaning posts - I couldn't decide whether to laugh about it or moan about it when I first saw it this morning! grin

Anya Sat 19-Aug-17 18:36:31

GOW alerts.

Blame the wine

Anya Sat 19-Aug-17 18:36:02

I'll be posting GOL alerts in future.

Anya Sat 19-Aug-17 18:35:24

And callgirl & Jalima ?

Anya Sat 19-Aug-17 18:34:18

BB you've made me LOL ??

Jalima1108 Sat 19-Aug-17 18:24:30

callgirl lol

Anya that sums it up!

Well, I'm flippin' moaning because my feet are hurting after a busy but enjoyable week - but, looking on the bright side, it was a very enjoyable week and I am still here to say so
grin

callgirl1 Sat 19-Aug-17 18:20:10

Does this cheer anyone up?

BlueBelle Sat 19-Aug-17 17:53:57

Whoops yes I did use that word and with no blxxdy edit button I can't change it whoops again moaning

BlueBelle Sat 19-Aug-17 17:52:36

I didn't say anything about being frivolous Anya

lemongrove Sat 19-Aug-17 17:52:20

I think that compared to some sites GN is not too moany, but the more the merrier for light funny threads.?

Anya Sat 19-Aug-17 17:43:58

Something like this?

Anya Sat 19-Aug-17 17:43:02

Perhaps HQ could get us a Grumpy Old Woman emoji ?

Anya Sat 19-Aug-17 17:40:52

grin

Jane10 Sat 19-Aug-17 14:47:20

Well we had a good laugh at the constant efforts to move us on at the GN meet up last week!
It was great to put names to faces and to find that we seemed to have so much in common. Yes life can undoubtedly be hard but sunshine breaks in at times sunshine

Jalima1108 Sat 19-Aug-17 14:26:16

Life has always had harsh times and tragedies though Bluebelle - perhaps we are more aware of more happening now as we hear about stories from around the world.

Anya Sat 19-Aug-17 13:25:34

It's not about being 'frivolous' BB it's more about always seeing the hole and not the doughnut. And not keeping an open mind.

petra Sat 19-Aug-17 13:24:07

Kittylester
I know what you mean. I was working at a company in the 80s and was called into the office where I was asked if I was on drugs!!!
After I got the laughs out of the way and asked why: he said " why are you always so happy"
I have to say after that I ramped up the jollity even more just to piss him right off grin

Anya Sat 19-Aug-17 13:22:20

Yes!

I find myself thinking 'FFS lighten up!'

BlueBelle Sat 19-Aug-17 13:21:27

I don't think we are major moaners on here I think we live through some harsh times with almost daily tragedies and it seems hard sometimes to think of frivolous things to post about

I think the present threads about the site changes, the safety of posting etc are all very valid 'moans' and would have been finished long ago if this 'new' site had been completed in the few days it was intimated it would be

It's not much point in posting 'hey ho ain't life good' if it isn't a lot of people get a big relief out of sharing their problems and let's face it some people post on here because they can't share with their family and I think that's actually really positive even if it's a negative subject

kittylester Sat 19-Aug-17 13:07:01

Ow, go on GD!

Lucky's comment about being called Pollyanna made me smile. My mum once told me I was too bloody cheerful for my own good!! grin

Greyduster Sat 19-Aug-17 11:41:21

I suppose you have to take the temperature of the thread. There have been times when I have wanted to post about some trivial or lighthearted thing or other, but it would not have sat well with the way the posts were progressing. By the time things have lightened up a bit, I've forgotten what it was I wanted to post! I think I've only had a real moan once and that caused such a kerfuffle I doubt I will ever do it again.