Gransnet forums

Chat

Grandsons school uniform

(156 Posts)
Tree100 Sun 20-Aug-17 19:25:47

Hi me my daughter and my grandson went shopping this morning to buy all of his new school uniform as he is starting secondary school in September.
I bought all of his new uniform as I agreed with my daughter that I was going to. The cost was quite expensive. If you had to buy uniform this year how much did it cost?
My grandsons uniform I bought him 2 of everything
School jumper with school logo £11
School polo shirt with school logo £9
Black school trousers £7
School shoes £2
Pe top £10
Pe shorts £7

lemongrove Thu 24-Aug-17 21:23:36

What do common people eat I wonder? I have heard that pies are poular ( but have no idea about fillings) game perhaps, or fillet steak?
My little darlings were amazed to discover that not everybody eats couscous or lentil and white bean soup! I know, weird.?

Wheniwasyourage Thu 24-Aug-17 18:48:54

No wonder so many people can be heard saying "You can't get the staff" if the common children are going into trade and not into service.

Chewbacca Thu 24-Aug-17 00:13:10

shock Are you sure this is right phoenix ? It all seems rather bizarre to me. No diction? At all? But they'll grow up saying "yar right?", instead of "Good afternoon my man, how are you today"? Surely they don't want there children going into "trade"? faints at the thought

phoenix Wed 23-Aug-17 23:54:23

I cannot help but notice that in the main, you have been focusing on uniform and kit.

Perhaps we ought to be looking at the curriculum? Of course Tarquin and Araminta will be doing Latin, Ancient Greek and Art Appreciation as standard, in addition to the usual subjects demanded by today's misguided Ministry , but will be also be doing falconry, shooting and archery. (Advanced beard trimming a la Shoreditch Hipsters is an optional extra, as is Pearl Polishing Instructions for servants.)

I was somewhat disconcerted whilst speaking to a villager in the shop (very good artisan bread, with the poppy seeds guaranteed organic, locally sourced AND fair trade, apparently for every 20 loaves produced, they get an environmentally friendly biodegradable smock)

Anyway, I digress, Chardonnay was telling me that her son Dwayne, who will be going to the local school (non boarding, apparently? They must truly adore him to want him at home every day)

Well, the after school activities sound a bit odd to me, of course there are ball games (sans lacrosse, sadly) but no archery, fencing, polo, or even deportment for the gels!

It would seem that rather than the social skills that one would think would be important, etiquette, diction, knowing how to address foreign dignitaries or members of the Royal Family, dress code for Ascot etc, they are encouraged to learn such things as mechanics and motor maintenance shock At this rate, chauffeurs will be a dying breed.

Chewbacca Wed 23-Aug-17 22:31:49

I've been collecting burrs and thistle head down to line the children's vests with ready for winter. If it's tightly packed into their knickers and vests, it saves on having to buy them winter coats. You can seal it in around the edges with warm rashers of bacon which is reusable for their breakfasts come Spring. Nothing's wasted in this house.

Jalima1108 Wed 23-Aug-17 21:11:16

Dog hair actually FarNorth - it's so much easier to spin, lots of lovely hair, especially with 6 Afghan Hounds in the household.
That's probably why the cat scarpered, nothing to do with the knitting needle.

Elegran Wed 23-Aug-17 18:33:31

Better buy one a couple of sizes too big.

gillybob Wed 23-Aug-17 18:29:15

Oh I see Elegran But wouldn't you be tempted to bite bits off ? Especially in that lesson immediately before lunch .

Elegran Wed 23-Aug-17 18:17:36

It saves time. gilly. School uniforms get sticky pretty fast anyway, this cuts out the delay so they can go straight into the washing machine without waiting for them to be worn to school.

gillybob Wed 23-Aug-17 18:13:03

Why on earth would anyone need a deliciously sticky, sweet baklava for a school uniform FarNorth? confused

FarNorth Wed 23-Aug-17 18:03:05

Were you knitting with cat hair, Jalima?

Jalima1108 Wed 23-Aug-17 17:19:53

I suppose you want me to start on balaclavas now!

Is there no end to this knitting?
The cat has scarpered btw

aggie Wed 23-Aug-17 17:19:38

Hat ? ........ nothing but a Glengarry will pass muster for our lot. It is a bit moth eaten after so many years , it was mine many years ago ..... sigh

Jalima1108 Wed 23-Aug-17 17:17:17

Well I haven't managed to knit any sporrans but have knitted 53 little bags like the ones Anya recommended (was it Anya?), all in homespun wool collected from hedgerows.

Plus 105 socks of various sizes and colours for people with oddly sized feet

FarNorth Wed 23-Aug-17 17:15:12

Sorry your thread seems to have got derailed, Tree100. This is so unlike us sensible Gransnetters.
Do come back if you want to say anything else about school uniform. Did you have to buy a cap or a balaclava? Many schools allow parents a choice on that.

aggie Wed 23-Aug-17 17:11:22

I can lend any amount of knitting needles , they are holding up my hair at the minute , handy or what ?

trisher Wed 23-Aug-17 14:55:50

Oh a bit of blood won't be noticed!

Katek Wed 23-Aug-17 14:51:50

She'd have to retrieve her knitting needle after spearing the cat.......

trisher Wed 23-Aug-17 14:43:49

There's not much room for bawbees in the cardboard box anyway.
I wonder if Jalima could knit a sporran?

Imperfect27 Wed 23-Aug-17 13:05:30

I'm with you Nelliemoser - have been reading in installments today and laughing out loud. Well done GNetters! grin grin grin

FarNorth Wed 23-Aug-17 12:40:23

It's wise not to keep too many bawbees around your person anyway, as Scots usually don't.
So Scots are not mean, only sensible.

Bellanonna Wed 23-Aug-17 12:04:33

Ah, that sounds sensible?

mcem Wed 23-Aug-17 11:08:55

Re uncomfortable bawbee-laden sporran.
In school dance lessons, advice is given that when indulging in A Dashing White Sergeant or Broon's Reel the sporran should be shifted round to sit on the hip!

Elegran Wed 23-Aug-17 10:33:54

I read the heading as "Gruesome school uniform" Must go to Specsavers.

Nelliemoser Wed 23-Aug-17 10:32:18

grin grin grin This is fun to read. It's so good I can't find anything much to add. I will just enjoy.