Gransnet forums

Chat

help please...advice on what to wear!

(50 Posts)
paola Wed 23-Aug-17 16:56:42

Hello, my son is getting married in Scotland in January. I have lived most of my life in the tropics, and have no problem knowing exactly what to wear for any occasion when it's hot...but for this occasion I am clueless, and would love your advice. Some pointers: I don't wear heels due to bunions (I get sore legs after a few minutes!) I am a casual, comfortable, sort of 'hippyish' dresser happy in flowing Indian fabrics. But I need help from head to toe...and what should I cover up with on top of everything? Will I need to get a fancy coat? Very grateful for all ideas! (By the way I live in Ghana but will have the opportunity to shop in Europe before the Big Day). MAny thanks!

hulahoop Wed 23-Aug-17 17:16:30

Why don't you book a personal shopper in one of the big stores when you are in Europe it will give you some ideas . Personally I like trouser suits with wide trousers then shoes don't show ,you could wear a warm poncho over the top or a cape type coat fascinaters are very popular instead of hats . Enjoy the day .

Teetime Wed 23-Aug-17 17:17:16

Monsoon and East carry just the sort of thing you describe. I think something like a Shalwar Kameez (not sure if that's how you spell it- Asian Trousers and tunic top in a bright colour/pattern can look lovely with sparkly slippers or ballet shoes. The over that a lovely cape/shawl would look very stylish and different from everyone else. Let us know what you choose in the end.

Oriel Wed 23-Aug-17 17:33:09

Are you looking to dress in a European style for the wedding?

Cherrytree59 Wed 23-Aug-17 17:54:18

Hello Paola
As its in Scotland may involve the National dress.
So kilts and Tartan
Your style sounds lovely, why not wear layers of thermals with your style of colourful Indian dress on top with perhaps a nice cloak and gloves.
Bright colours will certainly brighten up dark January.
Or what about Ghana's national dress.

Whatever you decide don't forget to get some thermal undergarments and hand warmers.

wildswan16 Wed 23-Aug-17 18:42:46

It really does depend on the "type" of wedding. Some are very formal, some not so. I think you should take advice from the bride or her mother as to how formal or informal it will be.

Scotland will definitely be cold, probably wet, probably windy. So layers, pashmina/shawl. A dressy trouser suit could be ideal for you and will be safer in the Scottish breeze. Smart flat shoes will be fine as there could be a lot of standing around for your poor bunions.

Granny23 Wed 23-Aug-17 19:13:17

First thing to find out is if you will be indoors all the time e.g. wedding and reception in a hotel, or outdoors some of the time e.g Church Wedding followed by travelling to the reception venue. If you will be in a hotel all the time it will be warm as toast so your indy cotton will be fine, but Churches can be pretty cold so perhaps you would need a big wrap or coat with something lighter under for the reception.

BTW At Scottish weddings only the MEN wear kilts.

hildajenniJ Wed 23-Aug-17 19:22:12

I've been to a few weddings in December, all in the north of England. For my sister's wedding, I wore a very pretty dress in a woollen mix fabric, all reds blues and gold's. As it was a church wedding I bought a red wool coat to wear over the dress. I had black shoes, but boots might have been better considering the weather on the day. It was cold frosty and foggy!

Cherrytree59 Wed 23-Aug-17 19:29:40

granny23
Men do wear the kilt as the norm but my late great aunt wore her tartan to all major events including weddings.
A tartan kilt skirt complete with kilt pin. smile

Iam64 Wed 23-Aug-17 19:33:27

Scotland in January is likely to be cold, hope for frost rather than rain. If you aren't a formal dresser, I wouldn't be pressurised into it. The important thing is to feel comfortable and like the way you look. Also of course, the fact its January and in Scotland so likely that you'll need layers. If its a Church service you may need thermals under your frock/comfortable trousers.
Can you shop in the UK, preferably in Scotland? Good advice to talk to the bride and the MOB about what their own plans are and whether your son and his wife to be want a very formal or less formal do.
Have a great time.

Imperfect27 Wed 23-Aug-17 19:39:03

Oh dear, the 'Imp' in me wants to suggest you consult some of our grans about a sporran design ... (See School Uniform posts ... Does this make me a terrible person? blush)

More seriously, in this world wide web - world, it should be easy to research some outfit ideas online.

Think 'colour' - maybe narrow down to two or three favourites as a starting point. And check with DIL and MIL about bridesmaids colours and their choices to avoid a clash.

Only other advice I can give - if you are petite, you may not want to wear a brimmed hat - people will probably want to kiss you on the cheek and it would keep getting knocked sideways ... And think COMFORT first for shoes - it will probably be a long day on your feet.

aggie Wed 23-Aug-17 19:43:58

I think a full-length tartan kilt type skirt with a matching velvet jacket over a lacey blouse would be lovely

paola Wed 23-Aug-17 20:26:01

Thank you all. I will copy and study all your contributions, keep watching for updates and let you know! My son and husband will be wearing kilts (very comfortably, they are used to it!). Ghanaian national dress won't work as I'll feel like a fraud (I'm an expat) and it would be cold cotton! Also would feel like a fraud in tartan... (neither bride nor groom is Scottish...they just happen to live here) Meeting the bride's parents for the first time in a couple of days! I like the idea of a trendy trouser suit ... I wouldn't know how to keep my legs warm in a dress! Boots? Anyway thanks for your suggestions. Keep them coming!

paola Wed 23-Aug-17 20:28:24

HildajenniJ what did you wear on your feet?

Largolass Wed 23-Aug-17 20:35:49

I live in Scotland and in January you could have snow so wrap up well in a warm trouser suit with a cashmere wrap.

Coolgran65 Wed 23-Aug-17 22:17:31

Love the sound of some sort of a trouser outfit - whatever you like best. It could have a tunic top, or a jacket top, it could be loose and bohemian, or it could be tailored. Then make it 'weather-proof' with a beautiful pashmina.

A personal shopper sounds fabulous. We are likely to have an upcoming ds wedding and I plan on going to one because I don't show legs i.e. long outfit required.

suzied Thu 24-Aug-17 06:53:33

A wool dress and jacket Chanel style would be a classic and won't date, will look stylish and elegant.

Anya Thu 24-Aug-17 07:27:43

Don't overdo the 'bulk' though. Invest in a good quality silk vest (you can get them with long sleeves if you want). They will add a base layer for warmth and are very thin.

Shoes? Boots? Wait until you've got your outfit sorted and then see what looks good but gives comfort and can be worn both outside and at the reception.

MawBroon Thu 24-Aug-17 07:36:01

Please, whatever you do, do not even think of tartan! (Cherrytree what are you thinking of!)
If it is your style, look at Hampstead Bazaar (London and Bath) but have a look online at their styles for gorgeous colourful silk coats/jackets/tunics and trousers - think Judi Dench. My choice for DD3's wedding 5 years ago.
You could also check out Sahara and EAST for coats and jackets etc in Indian type fabrics. I wore an EAST Tamina Gudri coat and velvet trousers from Lands End to DD2's wedding in December 2 years ago and felt very appropriately dressed! Think about a gorgeous pashmina or serape as an extra layer but you probably won't be outside much.

JackyB Thu 24-Aug-17 07:59:08

Surely you can wear boots for the church ceremony and slip a pair of ballerina-style shoes in your bag to change into for the reception.

Iam64 Thu 24-Aug-17 08:00:35

I thought Cherrytree was being ironic Maw but I'm often wrong.
I wore trousers and a gorgeous (if expensive) jacket for my daughters wedding. I tried on lots of MOB outfits but just didn't feel like myself. I loved the outfit I chose, felt well turned out and comfortable.

BlueBelle Thu 24-Aug-17 08:04:16

No tartan from me either leave that to the men .. I love Joe Browns ( they do an online store) which are always full of layers and can be floaty lots of thermal undies.... Joe Brown do coats too

MawBroon Thu 24-Aug-17 08:31:16

Gosh I hope you are right Iam64 my immediate horrified thought was of the American tourist" stereotype style of donning a lurid tartan jacket the minute they are north of the border.
My Scottish aunts and granny might have worn tweed but never tartan (although I do admit to a maxi kilt plus velvet blazer in the 70's in London)

mcem Thu 24-Aug-17 09:06:05

As another Scot I'd also say an absolute no to tartan!
The wedding is in Scotland not the north pole!
Yes to cosy silk thermals, smart boots (for the church and outside time) and a trouser suit or equivalent.
No to lots of bulky layers or hairy tweeds!
Enjoy chatting with bride's mother about the in/formality.
My daughter gets married in July in a tiny traditional kirk in beautiful Scottish glen and had already decided that the 'theme' is simple and rustic so i

mcem Thu 24-Aug-17 09:08:10

Sorry - tablet is temperamental this morning.
I'll have a simple summer dress and no hat!