Gransnet forums

Chat

GNHQ private forum for those not wanting to be on Facebook

(63 Posts)
Crafting Sat 26-Aug-17 14:02:45

Given that there seem to be so many posters who are unhappy with GN posting links from threads on FB and Twitter, is it not possible to create a Forum where You promise not to link any of the threads posted on that Forum on any other social media sites.

This forum could be for those seeking help on personal matters that they don't want to see copied elsewhere.

MissAdventure Sat 26-Aug-17 14:19:25

I would welcome that, as would many others, I think.

Auntieflo Sat 26-Aug-17 14:23:03

That would be good, but as someone pointed out recently, on another thread, when we sign up to Gransnet, it is in the terms and conditions that what we post becomes 'theirs'.

nanaK54 Sat 26-Aug-17 14:23:04

That sounds good to me

nanaK54 Sat 26-Aug-17 14:24:17

Crossed posts with Auntieflo obviously my 'that sounds good to me' is in reference to OP

Welshwife Sat 26-Aug-17 14:24:21

I would prefer that too - I left. and rejoined with another name as outed by someone with my first name. I hate seeing posts from here with a link on Facebook or Twitter.

MissAdventure Sat 26-Aug-17 14:26:13

So, its not "pearl clutching" to think that things posted here can be recognised elsewhere.

Charleygirl Sat 26-Aug-17 14:29:09

I am also 100% behind that idea.

lemongrove Sat 26-Aug-17 14:30:07

As am I, great idea.??

MissAdventure Sat 26-Aug-17 14:32:18

I think a small area which is private isn't too much to ask. If the site is trying to attract new members it would be a boon, rather than coming to a place full of disgruntled users refusing to open up about anything.

cornergran Sat 26-Aug-17 14:47:00

no harm in asking but I suspect the answer will be 'no' as it would change the T&C's.

Ana Sat 26-Aug-17 14:51:49

It would be Too Much Trouble...sad

ninny Sat 26-Aug-17 14:57:12

I think you are over reacting about Facebook, I'm on Facebook and have never seen any links to Gransnet. There are 3 Gransnet groups the main one has only 43 members and the other ones are local groups with about 12 or less members. They are all closed groups, this means not open to anyone on Facebook, only members can read the posts or post you have to apply to join the groups and be accepted by admin. I wouldn't be worried about joining Facebook there are privacy settings so you can choose who sees your posts or not as the case maybe. There are also some lovely supportive groups, a Natter Chatter group and if you like knitting a Knitting and Natter group, all closed groups where you have to apply to join, easy just click on join group button. Hope this helps.

MissAdventure Sat 26-Aug-17 15:00:03

I have no interest whatsoever in Facebook. I neither want to join, nor find myself in the situation someone here did, when a thread she made here was recognised, and caused trouble within her real life. Nah, not for me.

ninny Sat 26-Aug-17 15:06:24

Please yourself you don't know what you are missing. You don't have to put a photo of yourself on your page or any details about yourself only to your friends if you wish. I don't know why people seem frightened of Facebook, lots of nice supportive groups.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 26-Aug-17 15:41:24

Hi everyone, just checking in to let you know we've seen this thread and will have a chat about it when we're all back in the office. For now though, I would say that Gransnet - and Mumsnet - have always been open forums, but unless you (or friends, family etc.) actually like and follow Gransnet on Facebook, there's little chance of one of our posts popping up on your timeline (or theirs).

We are listening to your concerns though, and will put our heads together when we're all back in the office on Tuesday.

Fishpieplease Sat 26-Aug-17 15:46:47

I'm in

Auntieflo Sat 26-Aug-17 15:47:44

Thank you Lucy. Have a good holiday weekend all.

MissAdventure Sat 26-Aug-17 15:50:40

Thank you!

cornergran Sat 26-Aug-17 15:59:14

Thank you, Lucy, I think there has been a degree of surprise and shock at some of the threads that have been highlighted via Facebook. Some of us have very personal reasons for not having a public profile and it has understandably I think triggered a re-think and a concern about identification. Yes, there could be an over reaction but it is a genuine concern for many.

Bobbysgirl19 Sat 26-Aug-17 16:18:00

Ninny I don't think it is quite correct what you are saying. If you Google " gransnet Facebook, you go straight to their page, you don't have to a member of Facebook to access the thread! I for one am not as dislike it.

Posts are lifted from Gransnet and put on Facebook with links to entire threads! No membership, or closed forums or nice supportive groups that you mention, for protection!
So easy to access,That's why people are protesting!

BlueBelle Sat 26-Aug-17 17:03:26

Yes bobbygirl you are right I like fb but want it entirely seperate to GN and I don't like the idea of any of my posts being put on FB or Twitter without my knowledge or consent So from that point of view I won't be starting any personal threads or using anything personal in my answers

If there are only 48 members GN on fb what's the point it's not exactly rocking is it, so it wouldn't be missed

I sad be happy with a

Grannyknot Sat 26-Aug-17 18:17:18

ninny over 15,000 people like the GN Facebook page and over 13,000 follow it. (See attached screenshot).

I've no opinion on whether or not there should be a private forum for personal discussions. I just think that if one person's cover is blown by sharing a thread elsewhere, or because they naively give too much away, that's one too many.

ninny Sat 26-Aug-17 18:26:14

Bobbysgirl19 just googled Gransnet Facebook and I can now see what all the fuss is about its just the same as the Gransnet we are using now. But if you are signed into Facebook and put in groups Gransnet only 3 closed groups show up that's why I thought a lot of fuss about nothing. Still think that because you have to be a member of Facebook to post, but yes it is an open forum and if you post a comment or like a post it will show up in your timeline and if you have not set your privacy protection correctly your friends or family would see this if they are your friends on Facebook. If you are on a closed group only members of the group see your posts or likes.

ninny Sat 26-Aug-17 18:33:22

Bobbysgirl19 just googled Gransnet Facebook and yes I did get it wrong never knew about this. If when you are on Facebook and you search groups Gransnet just the 3 closed groups I mentioned show up. Yes this Gransnet is an open group and if you have not protected your privacy all your friends can see your posts or likes. If you are on the closed groups only members of the group can see your posts.