Gransnet forums

Chat

what are you doing on this bank holiday

(21 Posts)
travelsafar Mon 28-Aug-17 12:23:09

Feels like my DH and i are the only two around in our street today, its so quite.
I can remember a time when cars were cleaned or engines tinkered with, lawns were cut with a push mower and gardens made tidy on bank holidays.Then families would gather for afternoon tea.
It would appear that now families are out and about not spending the time at home or together.

HildaW Mon 28-Aug-17 12:31:34

WE just doing our normal 'Monday' things.......having both been retired for a bit we just let the rest of the world get stuck in traffic jams and enjoy a quiet normal day.....we go out other days!

Pittcity Mon 28-Aug-17 12:33:11

Loads of car cleaning and lawn mowing going on here. Looking forward to the peace when they go back to work tomorrow.

Imperfect27 Mon 28-Aug-17 12:33:22

Definitely an odd jobs day for us today. We went out shopping early - in and out by 10:15 and then back home via a ovely sea view to the delights of gardening and home-clearance. I think DH will be going to the tip a bit later.

Feel too hot to bake today and only ourselves to feed so I think we will snack and have supper in the cool of the evening.

Dh is about to tinker on ancestry.com so I might even get to watch a bit of trash TV of my own choice.

Feels a nice mixture of busy / at our own pace.

paddyann Mon 28-Aug-17 12:45:05

its NOT a bank holiday in Scotland ,our children have been back at school for weeks and life is ..or should be "normal" Our "last" bank holiday is in September ....but you wont know a thing about it south of the border ...because according to the media we dont really exist

Lyndylou Mon 28-Aug-17 12:58:29

Wallpapering the bedroom - looking forward to getting it done, not looking forward to actually doing it.

lemongrove Mon 28-Aug-17 13:24:51

Having lunch at the moment, after lolling about in the garden this morning.Will wash some windows this afternoon, so not lazy all day.?

Greyduster Mon 28-Aug-17 13:30:52

Just plonked myself down on the sofa after trying to take my dodgy back for a walk. DH said it was not a good idea and for once he was right (don't you just hate that?)!! We never go very far on a Bank Holiday anyway.

merlotgran Mon 28-Aug-17 13:47:00

De-frosting the freezer. It's so hot it's taking half the time.

HildaW Mon 28-Aug-17 13:56:38

Awww paddyann......I know you are there, and long may you remain. I am a firm Scotophile ....if that's not a word it should be!

J52 Mon 28-Aug-17 14:01:44

Just back from an 8km walk in the beautiful countryside. End stop in a little pub!
Now lazing in the garden, what lovely summer days are for!

whitewave Mon 28-Aug-17 14:13:42

Went out Friday for lunch and the traffic was ghastly, so decided to stay put over the weekend.

Too hot to do much tbh, usually wait for the evening cool down and then go out walking.

cornergran Mon 28-Aug-17 14:24:21

Childminding as both parents have to work today. That's retail for you hmm.

hildajenniJ Mon 28-Aug-17 14:26:45

Well, I've just done the washing. There's more to go into the machine shortly. DH is working from 5-10pm in the Co-op so we couldn't go out for the day. The weather here is changing too. This morning was lovely and warm and sunny, now the clouds have rolled in and it looks like rain.??

M0nica Mon 28-Aug-17 15:15:54

Well, Monday is Monday, so I went for my usual walk and then did the cleaning.

However at 11.30 we got into the car and drove through 10 miles of quiet open country to our local country fair. We had a great time. We watched some stunt motorbike riders, a Spitfire flypast and some aerobatic flying (not by the Spitfire) after that we had a proper country fair lunch, fish & chips, a 99 flake and a pint of bitter shandy. We then went into the retail marquee and I came out with three beautiful artisan butcher pies: salmon & broccoli, venison and lamb. After some more wandering round looking at stalls DH was beginning to tire, and it was very hot, so we ambled back to the car and drove home the scenic route.

DH is now asleep in his accustomed chair and I am on my pc. Later on we will have some of the salmon pies with a salad for supper and I will do some gardening.

kittylester Mon 28-Aug-17 15:18:37

Should be sitting in the sun but there is too much to do out there and it would 'look' at me so, instead, I'm catching up on the TV I've missed while DD2 and dgc were here last week.

grumppa Mon 28-Aug-17 16:16:48

Rearranging pots, etc. on patio and in rest of garden. This has led me to devise a new TV programme Gnomes Under The Hammer, in which unwanted garden ornaments are put up for auction, and the ones that fail to make their reserve are smashed to pieces in front of the cameras.

lemongrove Mon 28-Aug-17 16:25:46

I would watch that any day of the week grumpaa sell the idea to channel 4.??

ginny Mon 28-Aug-17 20:01:01

Just got home from a weekend camping/ caravanning with all the family. 3 DDs, 2 SIL and 2 DGSs. Had a wonderful time and all being together is something we do often. We count ourselves very lucky.

Eloethan Mon 28-Aug-17 23:49:18

A friend came to stay for a few days. We had lunch and sat in the garden enjoying the beautiful day and catching up on our respective families' news.

Menopaws Tue 29-Aug-17 04:38:01

Worked ny rear off helping my son and dil at a big fundraising concert and BBQ to raise funds for life changing alterations to their home to accommodate their disabled son on this his fourth birthday, good time had by all, goodness knows why I'm awake now! Must mention how incredibly hard my husband worked too