Gransnet forums

Chat

Morecambe

(37 Posts)
kittylester Tue 29-Aug-17 08:21:48

Are there any things/places we should do and/or see when we go to Morecambe for a few days? Conversely, any thing/s we shouldn't?

Gagagran Tue 29-Aug-17 08:34:54

Go and say "Hello" to Eric - he'll be waiting for you on the front!

Enjoy the wonderful view across the bay to the Lake District.

Other than that - can't recommend anything else! grin

ninathenana Tue 29-Aug-17 08:37:42

Eric was the first thing I thought of when I saw the title.grin
I've never been, have a good time kitty I hope the weathers good.

annsixty Tue 29-Aug-17 08:45:03

I have visited when staying elsewhere but it must have been pretty unmemorable so I can't help you. However there will be lovely places to visit from there so have a lovely time.
Oh I think it is there where a hotel has been restored to its original design etc and it it supposed to be very good.
I think it was filmed in an episode of Poirot.

Esspee Tue 29-Aug-17 08:45:33

Try Trip Advisor. I find that wherever I go, (from Skye to Zululand this year), the contributions from other travellers greatly enhance my enjoyment of the area.

kittylester Tue 29-Aug-17 08:58:06

We are staying in the hotel Ann.

The hotel we stay in when we go to Suffolk was featured in a Times article about hotels right by the sea so we have decided to try the others they recommended. The main purpose is to recharge by looking at the sea and wandering a bit.

Plus, I have an aunt and cousins nearby. My mum fell out with the aunt years ago and I am hoping to find out why. It involved pot lids!!! I always got on well with this particular aunt.

My dad looked quite a bit Eric Morecambe so I will definitely be popping to see him.

annsixty Tue 29-Aug-17 09:04:31

Well I am sure you will enjoy kitty and hope you get some luxury and being well looked after.
Morecambe Bay is quite special and you can go on a guided walk across I but never ever on your own.

Iam64 Tue 29-Aug-17 09:05:44

The Hotel is good, the views are good. Morecambe is a mirror of most of our seaside towns, in being sadly down at heel these days. I have a real soft spot for it though. Walking along the prom is a joy, the view across Morecambe Bay hard to beat. Heysham and Bare, at opposite ends of the town are both very pleasant.
Afternoon tea at the Midland is fun.
The Lakes are on the doorstep - have a good time.

Smithy Tue 29-Aug-17 10:05:11

Give it a miss!

Greyduster Tue 29-Aug-17 10:25:57

I haven't been since I was a child, when they used to have illuminations. I don't remember much about it, but every place has something of interest to see, and I can't see Morecambe being any different. The cockles should be good at least! Hope you enjoy yourselves!

Juggernaut Tue 29-Aug-17 10:26:16

Make sure to have lunch in the Ravilious Rotunda Bar at the Midland. I highly recommend the Midland Platter (obviously one each, not shared), everything was absolutely delicious!
I never drink tea, and very little coffee so am something of an expert on fruit/herbal teas. The 'Red Berry' tea at the Rotunda bar is the best I've had anywhere!
Visit Eric's statue and take photos of one another doing silly poses, it's more or less compulsory!
Weather permitting, go for a gentle stroll along the Stone Jetty, right to the far end. The views are fabulous from there!
If you're taking the car, drive to Sunderland Point, about 6 or 7 miles from Morecambe. It's a lovely place to walk and visit 'Sambo's Grave' (apologies for the name, not of my choosing). I always take a single flower with me when we go, and leave it on his grave, as do many other people.
Depending on whether you have the car, you could consider a drive to Skipton whilst you're close(ish). It's a lovely town, Friday and Saturday are the best for Market Day, but it does get very busy. Stanforth's Butchers, otherwise known as 'The Celebrated Pork Pie Establishment', located on Mill Bridge, has the best pork pies on the face of the earth!
Bizzie Lizzie's is great for fish and chips. The are two Bizzie Lizzie's, one near the big car park and one on Swadford Street. The Swadford Street one is a proper restaurant as well as a takeaway. It's wonderful, the haddock is perfect, and instead of chips we always eat it with a salad. They also do quite a lot of gluten free things too.
The village of Wray is tiny, but has a wonderful little coffee shop with a small plant centre attached.
Kirkby Lonsdale is a lovely village, beautiful Georgian architecture, really nice independent shops. Ruskin's View, glorious place to sit a while. Great food at the Sun Inn, but they're closed on Mondays!
Have a wonderful time up here in the North!

kittylester Tue 29-Aug-17 10:38:10

Thanks for all the info so far everyone (except Smithy obvs grin as we've booked!) especially juggernaut - looks like we'll have to go again. If the food is that good at the Midland we might just stay in, eat, watch the sea and sleep. grin

Iam64 Tue 29-Aug-17 13:00:06

Great suggestions from juggernaut - the Sambo grave is something of a pilgrimage for us as well. If you're there the first weekend of September, there is a guided walk across the Bay, led by the Queen's Guide.

kittylester Tue 29-Aug-17 13:01:50

What is the Sambo Grave? Not going until 17th but don't really relish the walk across the bay.

Juggernaut Tue 29-Aug-17 13:06:09

Forgot to tell you kittylester, Carnforth Station is where the station scene in 'Brief Encounter' was filmed.
There's a tea room, The Refreshment Room, which has been restored to its 1940's style. The counter has an old till, water boiler etc, very atmospheric! It's a lovely place to sit and have a drink and piece of cake.
If you're feeling silly, have your photo taken dressed as Laura and Alec, standing in/at the door of the train carriage. The staff will happily take a pic for you, with your camera!
There's also an exhibition about the films of David Lean, which is interesting, but I was just gobsmacked by how much of a womaniser he was! He was a bit of a dish though, so I wouldn't have blamed any woman for falling for him!
There's not much else in Carnforth, but the station is a good way to while away a couple of hours.

Juggernaut Tue 29-Aug-17 13:12:51

Sambo's grave is a memorial to a young, black slave who is thought to have arrived in 1736 at the port with his master.

He was born in Africa and taken first to the West Indies as a slave before being brought to Lancaster by his master.

He was taken ill, left behind by his master, and died near a local inn at Sunderland Point.

He was buried in an unmarked grave but in 1795 a schoolteacher - Rev Watson - raised money to erect a memorial to Sambo and penned the elegy on the grave.

The epitaph reads:
Full sixty years the angry winter's wave
Has thundering dashed this bleak and barren shore
Since Sambo's head laid in this lonely grave
Lies still and ne'er will hear their turmoil more.
Full many a sandbird chirps upon the sod,
And many a moonlight elfin round him trips
Full many a summer's sunbeam warms the clod
And many a teeming cloud upon him drips.
But still he sleeps - till the awakening sounds,
Of the Archangel's trump new life impart,
Then the Great Judge his approbation founds,
Not on man's colour but his worth of heart.

There are many people who could learn valuable lessons from the attitudes shown during the 1700's!

nonnasusie Tue 29-Aug-17 13:22:43

I had a maiden Aunt that lived in Bare many years ago. My late DH and I stayed with her before we were married ( our 1st holiday together) It was all very proper and above board?? as she and her friend with whom she shared the house were very straight laced!! We then went on to stay in Grange over Sands and they came to "vet " the place to make sure we had booked single rooms. Fortunately they didn't know what went on after they had gone home??!! I remember Grange being very nice as was the surrounding area.( 50 years ago)!!!

dbDB77 Tue 29-Aug-17 14:09:13

The walk across the bay is fabulous - about 9 miles - but dangerous unless guided - guides are excellent & have a support vehicle - sort of quad thing - for anyone who tires - it's a great experience but only if you're fit & used to walking.
Bird watching in the area is excellent - Leighton Moss and the Bay itself. Too early in the year for the starling murmurations- come again in November!
Grange-over-Sands & Cartmel are well worth visiting - the medieval misericords at Cartmel Priory are unique - look out for the "hedge-pig" & the elephant with hooves!
The sticky toffee pudding at Cartmel village shop is world famous - enjoy grin And don't forget to take home some Lancashire cheese - crumbly or creamy or tasty - but best if you buy all three grin

ninathenana Tue 29-Aug-17 14:47:19

What's the hotel called please. I'm assuming it's art deco, would love to Google pics.

Juggernaut Tue 29-Aug-17 14:50:01

ninathenana
Google 'Midland Hotel, Morecambe'!

Anya Tue 29-Aug-17 15:08:34

There's a nice set of traffic lights you can watch change.

lemongrove Tue 29-Aug-17 15:22:03

? that bad is it?

lemongrove Tue 29-Aug-17 15:22:54

So many seaside towns run down and depressing, it's true.

lemongrove Tue 29-Aug-17 15:23:26

Now I feel that I must go there to see.

callgirl1 Tue 29-Aug-17 16:25:36

When we lived in Lancashire, Morecambe was a popular place for us to take the kids for day trips on the coach, we didn`t have a car back then. On the stone jetty, there used to be a paddling pool, our kids loved it. And the illuminations were in a park, you just walked round at your leisure, they weren`t spectacular, like Blackpool`s, but it was a nice way to spend an evening. We haven`t been back there since about 1978, probably wouldn`t recognize it now, but would definitely go and say hello to Eric.