Gransnet forums

Chat

Hang the washing out

(118 Posts)
Teetime Tue 29-Aug-17 12:15:54

Further to my 'Open those windows' thread I observe that locally I seem to be one of the few who hang washing out- has this practice fallen from favour too?

Dana6789 Wed 30-Aug-17 16:58:02

I like your style MagicMaggie!
I would do excactly the same if I had a suitable bush. Your post reminded me I did hang washing on the bushes in a French farmhouse years ago as there was no alternative.
Nowadays I use a rotary line for most stuff, and sprinkle the socks on the floor by my patio doors ( only if I am not expecting anyone to call round)!
I use the tumble drier, which condenses the water, if it's raining then I take pleasure in using the collected water on my house plants.

lesley4357 Wed 30-Aug-17 17:20:36

For me, one of the nicest parts of summer is being able to get washing dried outside instead of on radiators. Bedding especially has such a lovely smell.

Moneyboss Wed 30-Aug-17 17:40:00

I love to peg my washing out, weather permitting. Bet we get a lot less favourable days oop North though. Otherwise it goes on a maiden in the conservatory.

I haven't had a drier in 34 years but could be tempted now I've heard they're not as expensive to run as they used to be.

grannybuy Wed 30-Aug-17 18:37:06

Out summer and winter, on a whirlie (rotary). Finish off in the tumble drier. Never put the washing straight into the drier from the washer. When living in a rental flat for some months, without outside space, I part dried on high dry before tumbling. It was a bind, but we got used to it. Canny Scot?

Iam64 Wed 30-Aug-17 19:04:19

I love pegging out and when its dry, folding it nicely. It reminds me of my mum who also used that "it's a good drying day" phrase.
I brought up three children with no clothes drier but bought one several years ago. I love it and on reflection wish I'd had one when the children were growing up and we had endless washing to dry on radiators and maidens during much of the year. I use the drier for towels and bedding. If it's too wet to peg out, the washing that doesn't go in the drier goes onto a maiden in the conservatory.

maddy629 Wed 30-Aug-17 19:41:36

I hang my washing out in Spring and Summer, dry it in the tumble drier Autumn and Winter. The dryer does away with the need to iron also but I do love the smell of freshly dried laundry when brought in off the line.

MamaCaz Wed 30-Aug-17 20:07:15

I dont have a tumble dryer, so it's the garden washing line whenever possible. Even in the middle of winter, it usually dries quite well if there is a fresh breeze, though I think I have come close to getting frostbite in my fingers quite a few times when hanging wet clothes out in freezing temperatures. Painful!

starlily106 Wed 30-Aug-17 21:35:17

Always put my washing out to dry. Only trouble is it always seems to start raining as i peg the last thing up. So sometimes I feel like a yo-yo. I only dry indoors if it is chucking down. I have never had or wanted a drier. I love the fresh air smell of the clothes when they have been outside, and as i hate ironing drying outside means less creases.

PenJK50 Wed 30-Aug-17 22:36:57

Does anyone else have a husband who will not hang out washing? It's the only household job that he hates. He also says that if I put the washing out it is bound to rain! I still do though.

lemongrove Wed 30-Aug-17 22:49:55

I never ask him to do it, I enjoy doing it myself too much.

Kim19 Wed 30-Aug-17 23:03:23

Very interesting to me PenJK50. My husband was a real hands on guy dabbling with anything and everything on the domestic scene but...... his reluctance to hang out washing was supreme. I did ask him about it and he couldn't really explain other than having a complete aversion. Strange indeed but I had no problem with. Just strange.

paddyann Wed 30-Aug-17 23:44:32

always use my tumble dryer,many years ago I used t hang washing out before I went to work and regularly had to rewash it because it got rained on.So I wash and dry and iron and put away all in a morning ,my ironing basket is usually empty ...just how I like it

Swanny Wed 30-Aug-17 23:57:21

Gosh this OP certainly brought a lot of replies! Love the smell of line-dried washing but no facilities for that where I now live so have to tumble dry everything suitable - other bits hang in the bathroom to dry. The tumble drier certainly cuts down on the ironing thankfully and the towels feel fabulous. I suppose as I get older I will appreciate not having to peg it all out but ... sad

Cubagran Thu 31-Aug-17 00:23:38

Always put towels in the tumble dryer to get them soft and fluffy - often just half an hour is enough and then I finish them off outside. Everything else goes outside in the summer, but when it gets cold it's the tumble dryer all winter.

Teetime Thu 31-Aug-17 08:55:36

I cant believe we are still talking about washing. smile

lemongrove Thu 31-Aug-17 09:03:53

?an important topic!
I dry towels outside and then give them five minutes in the tumble drier to get soft and fluffy.

JackyB Thu 31-Aug-17 11:36:37

I dry towels in the dryer, but it does fray them quicker than line-drying. I've just had a thought - I have an overlock machine, perhaps I could neaten the edges with that.

Our last dryer we bought when DS3 was born in 1988. It still worked, but switched itself off and buzzed annoyingly every 10 minutes, which should have meant it was overheating. Basically, I think only the thermostat had gone and it could have been repaired, but we decided on a new dryer as the new ones these days use less power.

I'm hoping this one will be gentler on the towels, too. At least it has different temperature settings - the old one just had "on" and "off".

I wouldn't let my husband hang out the washing. As a friend of mine once said "If you let them do it you have to iron it all afterwards". They seem to have no idea of the difference between jersey and woven materials, the way things stretch or how to peg things out so they get maximum exposure and minimum creasage.