Gransnet forums

Chat

Responsibility for our own actions

(109 Posts)
MawBroon Thu 31-Aug-17 10:26:21

On the news this morning there was an item on an online betting firm being fined a huge amount of money (£8m) "failing vulnerable customers" and not helping them to limit their gambling addiction.
Yesterday, I think, there was an item on You and Yours about credit card limits being raised without the consent of the card holder.
My point is, at what point can we justifiably blame others for our own actions?
Nobody forces you to max out your credit card, to bet online, to drink sugary drinks (others are available) or to pig out on snacks and crisps.
If the corollary is the Nanny State where as adults we are not allowed to take responsibility for our actions , I for one would rather take my chance, make my own decisions and take the consequences.

lemongrove Fri 15-Sep-17 19:57:53

You must mean the SNP Varian ? What a waste of good money giving it to them!

varian Fri 15-Sep-17 19:34:34

When in 2011, one British couple won £156 million on the Eurolottery, many other gamblers lost, and some would have lost more that they could afford. How many lives were damaged by that transaction?

What makes it worse is that the winners, who could not possibly spend such a huge amount, chose to donate a lot of money to a political party which was determined to destroy the United Kingdom.

Some may see gambling as harmless fun, to others it is a legitimate business, but IMO it does seem to do more harm than good.

Ilovecheese Fri 15-Sep-17 17:21:53

i think you are right guiltyson Isn't that what happened with "sub prime" mortgages.

guiltyson Fri 15-Sep-17 16:39:08

There has always been "buyer beware" in law. BUT.....

I think there are consumers where the seller should not be able to sell, without understanding there is a risk. I think this should be for when people are unable to fully understand the purchase, are mentally or emotionally vulnerable.

This should make the seller more careful with who they approach. Also make them work harder to explain stuff in a way that the buyer understands.

This should definitely be the case for finance and utility stuff.

gillybob Sun 03-Sep-17 11:56:19

One of mine was 29.9% TriciaF shock until I moved it to a 0% recently . Sadly Credit cards are a must for me but the interest is so hefty it becomes impossible to pay them off .

MissAdventure Sun 03-Sep-17 11:54:51

Going out isn't an option for some people.

Skweek1 Sun 03-Sep-17 11:52:59

I'm a semi-pro punter (note not a gambler. I don't back unless I'm at least 50% certain, normally 75+% that my horse or football bet - these are my specialities - will win). I make a profit most days. Every responsible online bookie encourages new members to set deposit/bet limits and you can't override until 24 hours after changing limits and they all say to stop when it's no longer fun. My ex insisted on doing a horse yankee every day, but I hated that because he often had one good priced winner but no return. I know some people are weak and need help, but if they are stupid enough to use 888, a bingo-running company, they only have themselves to blame - no skill in bingo and if I want to play bingo would go to my local Mecca hall with my friends, not go online.

TriciaF Sun 03-Sep-17 09:39:43

The interest that builds up on unpaid credit cards must be a huge part of the bank's income. Friends of mine were paying 25%!

Wheniwasyourage Sat 02-Sep-17 22:19:06

VIOLETTE, you have obviously been through some terrible times flowers

I think you're right - addicts cannot be saved from themselves, they have to be saved by themselves. I have a close friend who was a GP in an area where alcoholism was a major problem, and he always maintained that the only ones who managed to kick the habit were those who made the decision to do so themselves.

If I can go back to the OP, we have had our credit card limit increased without asking for it more than once, and had to contact the bank to get them to reduce it again.

jacq10 Sat 02-Sep-17 20:55:40

I remember, back in the 60's before I was married, my Mum and Dad discussing a neighbour's marriage break-up due to the husband's gambling and Dad saying it was a worse addition than drink or "another woman" as it could be covered up until it was too late and everything was lost. During the war he had been stationed with guys who were compulsive gamblers and would bet on anything. Of course back then there wasn't the "attractive" places to go to lose your money!!

trisher Sat 02-Sep-17 20:32:50

It's very complicated, tax is paid on profits for most gambling, but then some,for instance gambling on machines is then not subject to VAT. I have no doubt that there are ways to maximise your allowances by 'adjusting' your profits.

Baggs Sat 02-Sep-17 19:47:25

Cigarettes and alcohol are heavily taxed. Is gambling taxed in the same way? If not, perhaps it should be.

maryeliza54 Sat 02-Sep-17 14:03:47

Trisher your use of the phrase 'well regulated' instead of the emotive 'nanny state' is very apposite. There are many things in every day life that are well regulated ( or as well regulated as possible) that take away from us our personal choice, freedoms and responsibility because such regulation makes for a safer, more protected, healthier society. I appreciate that there are debates to be had about where to draw the line but giving online gambling companies and banks unfettered rights with no responsibilities is clearly for many of us not acceptable.

trisher Sat 02-Sep-17 13:16:12

maryeliza54 thanks so much for pointing out that this was compulsive gamblers trying to control their addiction and the gambling companies ignoring their self imposed ban because (apparently) of a soft ware failure. In my opinion the fine was well deserved and should have been more. It's nothing to do with the "nanny state" but of having a well regulated industry where the vulnerable are protected. I don't suppose many of you would sympathise with the drug dealer rather than the addict, this is entirely similar.
It is wrong to make money from the weaknesses and vulnerability of others. Companies who do so (and I include breweries and alcohol producers) should be taxed to provide an adequate service to support those whose lives are ruined by them.

gillybob Sat 02-Sep-17 12:53:17

Yes me too Ilovecheese and serkeen I find it sad that some are so quick to criticise when they might not have ever been in such desperate situation.

Ilovecheese Sat 02-Sep-17 11:29:44

Absolutely agree with you serkeen I just wish I was as perfect as some of the posters on this thread.

Serkeen Sat 02-Sep-17 10:13:10

maryeliza54 The reason I believe, that as you say, many posters were very quick to criticise individual gamblers is because they have no concept of what it is, to be truly desperate and engulfed by such an addiction and therefore they make a judgement having never had any experience of it.

If these 'judgemental posters' had to live just one day as an addicted gambler or alcoholic they would have a much different opinion.

It is a forgivable offence in that if you know not of an experience how can you have true knowledge of it.

YES we all should take responsibility for our actions, of course we should, however we are all different and were one may be strong in character and would never attempt to get out of control, others may not be as fortunate to have that type of characteristic about them.

How does the old saying go ..Do not judge me less you have walked a mile in my shoes..

Coco51 Fri 01-Sep-17 23:15:20

I think perhaps vulnerable people are more easily trapped into ways that appear irresponsible. With the current state of zero hours contracts, pitifully inadequate wages and a government that seems intent on grinding people who are poor into poverty that we have not seen since Victorian times, it is all too tempting to pay essential bills on credit cards. I was in a similar position after I lost my job due to disability - I was not eligible for any council tax relief, I had a mortgage and quite simply did not have any option other than to pay for the council tax on my credit card. It racked up and soon became counter productive. I was extremely fortunate in being able to sell my house clear the debt and move to a cheaper area of the country. Many people who get trapped in these downward spirals through no fault of their own, are not so lucky. They have nowhere to turn, and what do you do if your children are hungry or you are threatened with having gas or electricity cut off?
Gambling - for those who are addicted is an irresistable compulsion and like addicts of all kinds need help, not censure. Sadly as the first post in today's gransnet demonstrates, help with mental health problems is very rare.

Eloethan Fri 01-Sep-17 22:08:20

It's a disgusting way to make money anyway - tempting people to participate in an activity which, if they continue with it, will guarantee they will end up poorer or even destitute.

I, like maryeliza, am astonished that many posters on here are quick to judge people with a gambling problem but appear to see very little wrong with betting firms which use every trick in the book to draw people in and get them hooked.

Bambam Fri 01-Sep-17 19:00:53

I feel desperately sorry for anyone addicted to gambling , alcohol or anything else. It's definitely an illness and they deserve to be helped. Gambling is being used as a cash-cow by the Government now that their coffers are not being filled as much by taxes on tobacco. Advertising gambling sites on tv should be made illegal.

maryeliza54 Fri 01-Sep-17 18:39:26

I just think its sad that some (not all of course) posters were very quick to criticise individual gamblers but don't seem to think that betting companies should be criticised at all

Bambam Fri 01-Sep-17 18:36:07

Yes! maryeliza54 I totally agree with you that these people who are trying to take control of their addiction should be allowed to ban themselves. And if these firms are deliberately targeting them, that is disgusting and the firm's should face a massive fine.

maryeliza54 Fri 01-Sep-17 18:20:31

But Bam the point I was making is that these people banned themselves and the firm ignored their wishes. Perhaps they had got to rock bottom - they certainly needed supporting in their wishes, not ignoring

Bambam Fri 01-Sep-17 18:15:24

Gambling is the same sort of addiction as alcohol. We can't ask the Government to curb alcohol sales to alcoholics, it would be impossible. By the same token, I think that it would be impossible to curb someone with a gambling addiction. If they are curbed by one shop they will just go to the next. The "cure" for any addiction is for the addict to reach rock bottom and get help or for them to realise they have a problem and get help hopefully before that point.

TriciaF Fri 01-Sep-17 18:15:17

One way of looking at the Stock Market is that it's based on gambling. And they're the people who help to run our economy (such as it is.)